Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

E7 also has something going for it that really hurt the PT.

"You Have Taken Your First Step Into A Larger World" - OB1

Finally, we get new characters and a new story! That's what I'm looking forward to the most. Everything SW film related to this point has revolved around Anakin/Luke.

We won't know that Palpatine is the major bad guy, that Anakin turns into Vader, that Obi-wan gets stuck on a planet practically babysitting for 20 years, or that Jar Jar will dissappear into thin air. Hell, I called E3 being called "Revenge of the Sith" before TPM came out!

Even if it sucks, I look forward to endless possibilities. KOTOR and TCW series did it so it is possible.
Old 10-31-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-31-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
Let's suppose Disney gets a great screenwriter and a great director to do Episode VII, and it still turns out bad. What then? I think people are overestimating how easy it is to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Making a great Star Wars film decades after the iconic original trilogy would be very difficult for even the most accomplished director, because whatever they do has to live up to the original films, and that's all but impossible. Lucas found that out with the prequels, and Spielberg found it out for Indy. If he tried to make an ET 2, he wouldn't come close to the original. You just don't live up to those iconic films from the 70s and 80s.

I suspect that Disney's Star Wars films, regardless of whether they are good or not, won't feel like Star Wars films at all. They will feel like films with the Star Wars name slapped on them. I believe that whatever they make, there will be a significant disconnect between not only that film and the Lucas Star Wars film, but also between the new films and the fans. Imagine a Star Wars film without any connection to the Skywalkers, with no film score from John Williams, and no 20th Century Fox fanfare to open it. Just the prospect of it seems weird.
Let's suppose they are good? Then what? Let's not compare them to either the OT or the Prequels...Maybe they would fall inbetween them as far as good/bad.

I do think getting Lucas out of the picture will help more than it hurts. Disney knows what they are doing, and has done a great job overall with most of their properties. I can't think of a better studio/entity to get the SW franchise and actually be able to improve it.
Old 10-31-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idea that we don't KNOW what's going to happen in the general story arc is already more intriguing to me than the PT. Took a lot of steam out of I-III to know that Anakin becomes Vader, Palpatine becomes Emperor, infant Luke and Leia to Tatooine, etc. Some fresh, new stories could give the brand some energy and life.
Old 10-31-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I do think getting Lucas out of the picture will help more than it hurts. Disney knows what they are doing, and has done a great job overall with most of their properties. I can't think of a better studio/entity to get the SW franchise and actually be able to improve it.
I agree...there's nothing in Disney's recent history to suggest they won't do their very best to put out a quality movie that die-hard fans would love...look how they've treated the Marvel and Muppet properties - all films have totally been geared towared the fan-base and weren't "money grabs" at all. Bob Iger is a class act, and I think that's one of the reasons George entrusted his "Empire" to them.
Old 10-31-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I agree...there's nothing in Disney's recent history to suggest they won't do their very best to put out a quality movie that die-hard fans would love...look how they've treated the Marvel and Muppet properties - all films have totally been geared towared the fan-base and weren't "money grabs" at all. Bob Iger is a class act, and I think that's one of the reasons George entrusted his "Empire" to them.
Old 10-31-12, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
I actually think II is really bad but it has the "well it's not as bad as TPM" thing going for it. III has a lot going for it and if trimmed feels like it belongs with the OT.
AOTC is just as bad as TPM in my opinion. The forced scenes between Anakin and Padma make me cringe almost as much as Jar Jar and little Anakin. Dexter Jettster and Padme falling out of the battleship are two more that come to mind. Just thinking of those scenes makes me shiver.

I'm optimistic about episode VII though. The people involved have to know that the prequels were a giant shitfest and that the fan base is beyond fickle. I understand that anything SW will get slurped up, but a good movie could send the franchise into the stratosphere (or beyond). Look at the latest Super Hero movies. I was at my son's Halloween parade at school today and there were Super Hero costumes everywhere (my son was Captain Rex, of course). Way more than when I was a kid in the 80's. The flux of decent to awesome Marvel and DC movies have propelled these characters back into the mainstream big time. We had GI Joe, Star Wars, He-Man, and Transformers in the 80's. Now it's Hulk, Spidey, X-Men, etc. And it's the parents and even grandparents that are eating this shit up and buying it for their kids. I know because I'm buying it too. Transformers got a good shot in the arm after the live action stuff too.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I'm excited about Star Wars for the first time in years. I can't wait to find out about the director, stars, possible plot-lines, etc.
Old 10-31-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I definitely agree that this will be difficult to pull off, as unlike last time most people will probably be pessimistic as opposed to giddy with anticipation. It might actually wind up being a mediocre movie by most standards, but because we've all come to expect so little from Star Wars nowadays, its praise might come from not sucking as opposed to being good.

While some might disagree, I also think that the James Bond approach to this franchise might be what Disney needs to do instead of a bunch of trilogies. Lucas made the mistake of waiting too long between his stories, thus anticipation was through the roof and expectations insurmountable. People are afraid that we might get a lackluster SW movie from this new approach. Well, according to many, we already have three in existence. If they can make this trilogy worthwhile and then do their follow ups as self contained stories, then one that sucks every two to three years is better than one that sucked after sixteen years. It won't be perfect, but if it can restore a bit of magic and maintain it for many years to come, I'll be happy.
Old 10-31-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

nmr1723 , thats because, and in this just my opinion, cartoons and toys suck for kids today. We had 100s of different things coming out in the 80s which provided variety. Kids today don't have that IMO.

AND I agree about E2. I think it's the worst SW film without question.
Old 10-31-12, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
nmr1723 , thats because, and in this just my opinion, cartoons and toys suck for kids today. We had 100s of different things coming out in the 80s which provided variety. Kids today don't have that IMO.

AND I agree about E2. I think it's the worst SW film without question.
I can agree with this. There's a strong possibility that I'm simply remembering the toys that I had or my friends had. You can add M.A.S.K. in there too. I was also huge into baseball cards and sports so I'm probably limited to what all of the options were back then.

And thinking about the toy aisle today (picturing Target), I'm starting to agree even more. It's Cars, Star Wars, Marvel/DC, Thomas, and Transformers. I can't think of much else in regards to licensed toys for kids (or just boys since my daughter is only 3 months).

Sorry to stray off the topic a bit. I guess I'm just trying to find more reasons that episode VII can possibly be decent. If it's anything like The Clone Wars cartoons, I will be happy. They are entertaining most of the time, pretty damn amazing some of the time, and bad every once in a while. Also, as others have stated, I'm a fan of Disney and I'm hoping they can truly breathe new life into the franchise. Even though I enjoy TCW show, a lot of it is pretty stale and you start to get tired of many of the characters.
Old 10-31-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't know, I worked at a school for a while and when some kids had some toys for show and tell, some of it got me thinking "Man I wish I had that as a kid."

Plus what the fuck. Girls from the 80's and 90's had toys where you could freaking BAKE FOOD. Like cake and stuff. Why couldn't we have food? Making Creepy Crawlers was great, but...hey what if they were gummy crawlers.
Old 10-31-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Okay, having read more into this, I think it is a good idea. I didn't know the details , and when I heard it on the radio I thought it was just GL trying to cash in again. I am now cautiously optimistic.

Personally, I think this needs to be a complete re-boot . VII needs to take place a good long time after ROTJ, and we need all new characters and actors. However, I do feel we need a torch passing of sorts. I think the best way to do this would be to maybe have an orientation of a new Jedi Class at the Jedi Temple. We then see a holographic image of an aged Luke Skywalker (played by Hamill, of course) who gives a brief overview of Jedi history and the force . (It would be really cool if he mentions that at one point, people actually thought the force dwelt in little bits of bacteria, but that was debunked and anyone has the power to become a Jedi). After that, there is no more OT connection , not even R2 and 3P0. Let it tell its own story with its own trilogy.
I'm seeing Episode 7 as a Harry Potter like story where Hogwarts is The Jedi School and Lukes Son and Leias Daughter are the chosen ones that go to the school to learn how to be a Jedi.
Old 10-31-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Why couldn't we have food?
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fe3TWZ_3qRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-31-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw an article that said Disney could pull off a ST Next Gen move that moves things on with new characters and pleases the fans. Could happen.
Old 10-31-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fe3TWZ_3qRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Cereal yeah. But making your own food that's another story. I wasn't around for the Star Wars stuff though. Batman cereal (from the '89 movie) though...now that was good. For some reason it seemed way better than Captain Crunch.

Old 10-31-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I saw an article that said Disney could pull off a ST Next Gen move that moves things on with new characters and pleases the fans. Could happen.
I'd like that or going waaaaay back into the Old Republic. Let Luke, Leah, Han and especially the droids go. Their story is over.
Old 10-31-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I remember correctly that Batman cereal was basically just Cap N' Crunch..without crunch berries! ugh!

The C3P O's were atrocious!
Old 10-31-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I'm seeing Episode 7 as a Harry Potter like story where Hogwarts is The Jedi School and Lukes Son and Leias Daughter are the chosen ones that go to the school to learn how to be a Jedi.
I'm for the Harry Potter approach, but don't want the characters to be direct descendants of Luke and Leia.
Old 10-31-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I'm for the Harry Potter approach, but don't want the characters to be direct descendants of Luke and Leia.
God I hope not, they were siblings.
Old 10-31-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Makes me wish now that Lucas didn't try to wrap everything up in VI, maybe the Emperor would still be around, Luke/Leia wouldn't be sisters and there would still be another.
Old 10-31-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

People are actually suggesting the Thrawn trilogy? Those books were fucking terrible!

Start new. Set it 200+ years after the OT. New characters. New situations. And no Jedi/Sith as main characters. Find an actual human beating heart that's been missing from the series since 1980.

And Nathan Fillion as Lando
Old 10-31-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
People are actually suggesting the Thrawn trilogy? Those books were fucking terrible!

Start new. Set it 200+ years after the OT. New characters. New situations. And no Jedi/Sith as main characters. Find an actual human beating heart that's been missing from the series since 1980.

Set it 200 years in the future AND have Lando?
Old 10-31-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hope they don't get that John Carter actor, Chris Pine, Shia Lebeof or that Fright Night kid. The young male acting kinda sucks right now so hopefully they get some unknowns.
Old 10-31-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
So you want to take the ONLY black man in the entire galaxy and make him white? Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will be outraged when they hear about this! Outraged!
Old 10-31-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I just hope they don't get that John Carter actor, Chris Pine, Shia Lebeof or that Fright Night kid. The young male acting kinda sucks right now so hopefully they get some unknowns.
Hayden Christensen was an unknown. They can burn you as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.