DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

kgrogers1979 11-04-12 10:59 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 11454483)
In the mythos, Palpatine was clearly stronger.

Yep. Palpatine fought and defeated four Jedi simultaneously. Also the Palpatine vs Yoda fight in the movie is rather vague, but the novel makes it clear that Palpatine was indeed superior to Yoda.

Palpatine is a badass.

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 11454553)
If you want to know more about Maul, read Plagueis.

Yeah, the Darth Plagueis novel is good and gives a lot of backstory on the Sith. It also fills a lot of holes in the movies, such as who Sifo-Dyas was and clears up the whole nonsense about Anakin not having a father but instead being created by the midicholorians.

Ranger 11-04-12 11:46 PM

Hmm, in an interview a few weeks ago, Spielberg said he was done directing action movies, that it didn't interest him anymore.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...lberg-8-381483

Wonder if he's changed his mind now.

OutRun2 11-05-12 04:07 AM

Rumor has it McG is directing...

RocShemp 11-05-12 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by OutRun2 (Post 11454736)
Rumor has it McG is directing...

And they already have Brett Ratner on call to ghost direct the reshoots.

redrum 11-05-12 01:36 PM

Over the past seven years, Collider’s track record has been pretty good. The reason is, before we run any “scoop,” we always make sure to double source it so we know the information is accurate. However, the story we are about to run has not been confirmed, and I want to make sure everyone knows this is not 100%. I only decided to run this because I trust my sources and it’s Star Wars. In addition, while I spent all weekend trying to lock this story down, all my normal connections would not go on record (or they did not know), so this is going up as a “rumor” and “unconfirmed.”

Now that I’ve warned you this is just a “rumor”….

I’m hearing that Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass, Stardust, Layer Cake, and X-Men: First Class, is in talks with Lucasfilm to helm Star Wars: Episode VII. My sources tell me this is the main reason he dropped out of the X-Men sequel (which Bryan Singer is now directing). Hit the jump for more.

As most of you know, last week Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion dollars and they also announced a 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII. Seconds after the deal was announced, a bunch of interviews were released featuring Disney CEO Bob Iger and George Lucas talking about the business deal, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Lucas discussing Star Wars: Episode VII and revealing that they’ve already met with writers for the new film. It was clear that this deal has been in the works for awhile.

As such, it makes a lot of sense that while we only just heard this news, behind-the-scenes Lucasfilm has been working hard to land a director to helm the new installment.

Now you have to ask yourself, why would Vaughn abruptly drop out of helming the X-Men sequel when the head of 20th Century Fox (Tom Rothman) is leaving the studio? After all, while Rothman helped make some great moviesover the past few years, he’s also known as a micro-manager that can rub some filmmakers the wrong way. With Rothman out, I imagine Vaughn would have had more creative control on the sequel and it would have been an easier film to make.

But if Lucasfilm offered Vaughn the keys to Star Wars, that’s something he’d likely jump ship for.

While many of you might be wondering if Vaughn can handle directing a Star Wars movie, I really think he’s a great choice. After all, he made a fantastic X-Men movie that successfully rebooted the franchise, his work with a limited budget on Kick-Ass was also great, and Stardust proved he can make one hell of an adventure film.

In addition, Vaughn is a writer. He worked on the scripts for X-Men: First Class, The Debt, Stardust and Kick-Ass (with Jane Goldman) so if he ends up directing Star Wars, we’d also be getting someone that could solve script issues on set. It’d be great if he could convince Goldman to come onboard as well.

So is Vaughn lining up to direct the full new trilogy or just the first film? I have no idea. But I’d imagine if this deal does happen, it would be similar to the one Marc Webb has on Spider-Man, which is they’ll do it on a film by film basis, with the assumption that if the first film is a success and he wants to come back, he could.

Anyway, as I have already said many times, for now Vaughn directing Star Wars is just a “rumor.” I’d imagine after this posts, it’ll either be confirmed or it will blow up in my face. I’m hoping it’s true.

This is the most excited I’ve been for Star Wars since 1998 and I honestly cannot wait to see the new movie in 2015. What about you?

LosingMyMind 11-05-12 01:59 PM

The official announcement is going out in a week or two, anyway. Vaughn it is.

Finisher 11-05-12 02:07 PM

Vaughn makes the most sense. Good choice.

Rob V 11-05-12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 11455301)
The official announcement is going out in a week or two, anyway. Vaughn it is.

Holy Shit, I scrolled down to your post and saw Vaughn and though it was Vince Vaughn for a minute... whew!

riotinmyskull 11-05-12 02:18 PM

vaughn will do.

CharlieK 11-05-12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 11449109)
This is why Matthew Vaughan left X-Men so abruptly. He'll be heading up the new SW movie.

Where's my cookie? :)

Oliver Clothesoff 11-05-12 02:23 PM

I'd be more than okay with Matt Vaughn.

Ranger 11-05-12 02:26 PM

Good. Saw Stardust for the first time last week and it was good and I liked X-men First Class.

candyrocket786 11-05-12 02:56 PM

Fan of Stardust, Kickass and First Class.

This works for me.

E Unit 11-05-12 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 11455396)
Fan of Stardust, Kickass...

This works for me.

These are two reasons why it won't work for me.

WeylandYutani 11-05-12 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 11455316)
Vaughn makes the most sense. Good choice.

It may make sense. But not the most sense.

WeylandYutani 11-05-12 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 11455400)
These are two reasons why it won't work for me.

First Class is another for me. The aforementioned films and FC are perfectly serviceable and competently made genre films. They each have worthy qualities and facets that only a skillful filmmaker could pull off and inject. And make no mistake, he is a leagues better choice than hacks like Ratner, McG or Lucas. But if this indeed pans out, imo it's still an underwhelming, overly obvious, and imo boring choice.

Rob V 11-05-12 03:37 PM

I liked KA but the rest did nothing for me... especially First Class.

Supermallet 11-05-12 03:39 PM

Vaughn works. Makes sense that they'd want someone who suits his style to the material, as opposed to the other way around.

redrum 11-05-12 03:49 PM

i'd like someone more dedicated to the sci-fi genre but i don't think he'll mess this up

DthRdrX 11-05-12 03:50 PM

He made a good movie that featured Nicholas Cage. He'll work for me.

Timber 11-05-12 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11454572)
Yep. Palpatine fought and defeated four Jedi simultaneously. Also the Palpatine vs Yoda fight in the movie is rather vague, but the novel makes it clear that Palpatine was indeed superior to Yoda.

Palpatine is a badass.

Yeah, the Darth Plagueis novel is good and gives a lot of backstory on the Sith. It also fills a lot of holes in the movies, such as who Sifo-Dyas was and clears up the whole nonsense about Anakin not having a father but instead being created by the midicholorians.

Damn it, now I have to buy this. I really have no interest in the EU but this just sounds too good not to read.

FRwL 11-05-12 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11454467)
stronger how, in, or as what?

I mean...as a character...I think Maul had a great presense. Didn't say much but did a lot w/ his eyes and actions. Made him a good mystery of sorts. Palpatine was a bit too much for me, a victim of the writing I'd say.

Yeah as a character, because either TPM or ROTS are the better prequels, and only based on these two shining beacons. Although TPM did have Liam Neeson. Tough to decide which is the better pos.

Supermallet 11-05-12 04:34 PM

It's not hard to decide at all. TPM is far more awkward and cheesy than ROTS. TPM is completely a kids movie, by which I mean it felt like it was made by kids. ROTS isn't GOOD, but it's not completely awful like TPM is.

kgrogers1979 11-05-12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 11455476)
Damn it, now I have to buy this. I really have no interest in the EU but this just sounds too good not to read.

:lol: Which one? The ROTS novel or the Darth Plagueis novel?

You don't really have to buy them either. You could just check them out at your local library.

I just had an interesting theory earlier today. Plagueis is the one Sith that Lucas created that we have not actually seen on screen. He was only briefly mentioned by Palpatine in ROTS. It was said that Plagueis had unlocked the key to immortality. So what if Plagueis isn't really dead and he comes back as the villain for the sequel trilogy?

superdeluxe 11-05-12 04:48 PM

Loved Star Dust..so I am ok with this

candyrocket786 11-05-12 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 11455476)

Yeah... I loved the novel as well. The Battle in Palpatine's Chambers is pretty badass and not as short as it appears to be on film.

WeylandYutani 11-05-12 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 11455571)
Yeah... I loved the novel as well. The Battle in Palpatine's Chambers is pretty badass and not as short as it appears to be on film.

I think he was talking about Plagueis. Either way, both books suck. Some people say they love the novelization of ROTS. But most who do do so only because they read it before seeing the actual film. Read it again now that you know the outcome. It went into more depth, sure, but in the end the plot and the character dialogue and the piss-poor writing and just the entire fucking thing was a goddamn hogwash.

Why So Blu? 11-05-12 05:48 PM

Alfonso Cuaron would be badass, so I hope they bring him aboard in a later installment if they do end up going with Vaughn this time.

kgrogers1979 11-05-12 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani (Post 11455592)
Either way, both books suck.

:rolleyes:

Is there any EU that you actually do like?

WeylandYutani 11-05-12 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11455637)
:rolleyes:

Is there any EU that you actually do like?

Yes. As I've already stated earlier in this thread, scroll up and see it if you must, anything with Michael A. Stackpole or Timothy Zahn on the front-book cover of a "Star Wars" novel is comforting news and lets the SW fan know that they're in respectful hands, at least.

DthRdrX 11-05-12 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11454572)

I remember reading a leaked version of ATOC script before it was released and the name that ordered and paid for the clones in it was "Master Sidious". This was supposed to be how the Jedi found out his name but for some reason Lucas changed it to Sifo-Dyas which isn't far off.

Dooku was given the task of spilling the beans about the name 'Sidious' to Obi1.

Dooku should have been in TPM sharing scenes with Qui-gon regarding the boy's training and the council. His viewpoints on how corrupt the republic and Jedi had become would have made his actions more understandable, rather than just a power seeking fallen Jedi. As is, the movies leave a wide open gape in story regarding why he would work under a Sith lord that killed his former apprentice.

arminius 11-05-12 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani (Post 11455652)
Yes. As I've already stated earlier in this thread, scroll up and see it if you must, anything with Michael A. Stackpole or Timothy Zahn on the front-book cover of a "Star Wars" novel is comforting news and lets the SW fan know that they're in respectful hands, at least.

I have to agree with this. The Thrawn trilogy and the X Wing series were both very good. The Thrawn stuff would make a great new trilogy while the X Wing books would be a great parallel series.

The thing is with the three leads, Solo and Luke with make up and CGI I can see somehow working. But Carrie, she would need to be killed. I know quite a few 50s females that look quite good. She looks like shes been worked over by ther dark side with turbo boosts.

Jules Winfield 11-05-12 06:17 PM

Can everyone please put all talk about EU novels/comics in spoilers so I don't have to read you guys talk about it? Thanks!

DthRdrX 11-05-12 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11455657)
I have to agree with this. The Thrawn trilogy and the X Wing series were both very good. The Thrawn stuff would make a great new trilogy while the X Wing books would be a great parallel series.

The thing is with the three leads, Solo and Luke with make up and CGI I can see somehow working. But Carrie, she would need to be killed. I know quite a few 50s females that look quite good. She looks like shes been worked over by ther dark side with turbo boosts.

Mon Mothma roll for Leia could work, following into politics like her mother.

Then again, seeing her as an older Jedi could be an interesting angle. Keep in mind that Luke tells her in ROTJ that she would learn to use her powers in time.

kgrogers1979 11-05-12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani (Post 11455652)
Yes. As I've already stated earlier in this thread, scroll up and see it if you must...

As if anyone is actually going to take the time and look through 18 previous pages in this thread. :lol:

I was really just curious if you were the type that just blindly bashes the EU because "the movies are the only thing that matters." Seeing you give negative reviews to the ROTS and Plagueis books made me think that since those two books are generally well received by most fans.

WeylandYutani 11-05-12 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11455657)

Yep. I'd love it if they just went ahead and hired Zahn and Stackpole as co-screenwriters. They understand what made people love about Star Wars characters and aliens and adventures than even its initial, fat-necked creator doesn't anymore.

kgrogers1979 11-05-12 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11455665)
Mon Mothma roll for Leia could work.

Or she could play the role of a Hutt.

Stockholm's syndrome... After being enslaved by a Hutt, Leia decided to become one.

DthRdrX 11-05-12 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11455559)
I just had an interesting theory earlier today. Plagueis is the one Sith that Lucas created that we have not actually seen on screen. He was only briefly mentioned by Palpatine in ROTS. It was said that Plagueis had unlocked the key to immortality. So what if Plagueis isn't really dead and he comes back as the villain for the sequel trilogy?

Not the only ones. The Clone Wars introduced some fairly young non-human characters that we all assumed would die before ROTS. Given that they have become fan favorites it's quite possible they will leave their fate open now.

Spoiler:

Ashoka, Anakin's padawan
Ventress, Count Dooku's former apprentice

kgrogers1979 11-05-12 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11455676)
Not the only ones. The Clone Wars introduced some fairly young non-human characters that we all assumed would die before ROTS. Given that they have become fan favorites it's quite possible they will leave their fate open now.

Spoiler:

Ashoka, Anakin's padawan
Ventress, Count Dooku's former apprentice

Spoiler:
Actually Asajj Ventress is an EU character that was brought into the Clone Wars animated series. The EU has also already dealt with her final fate. Of course, the sequel trilogy could just ignore the EU like the prequels completely ignored Boba Fett's EU origin story.

Even still I can't imagine Ventress being the primary antagonist of the movie. She's more of a secondary character like Maul.

And what's this about Ashoka? Did she turn to the dark side? I haven't actually watched the animated series the last few seasons.

joe_b 11-05-12 08:05 PM

Harrison Ford open to returning?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/0...olo-exclusive/