Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Frankenstein (Writer/Director: Del Toro)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like his plate is full for the next decade or so... From Variety:
Many top film directors have no idea what their next movie is. But Guillermo del Toro is now booked through 2017. And maybe beyond.

Universal — which has a three-year first-look deal with the helmer inked in June ’07 — and del Toro are making a long-term commitment by setting up four directing projects, including remakes of "Frankenstein," "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "Slaughterhouse-Five."

The fourth project is an adaptation of "Drood," a Dan Simmons novel acquired by U that will be published in February by Little, Brown.

Of course, del Toro’s first priority is New Line and MGM’s "The Hobbit," to which he has committed the next five years. He has begun writing "Hobbit" with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, collaborating via video conferencing and trips to New Zealand every three weeks.

While it’s difficult, if not impossible, to plan projects five years into the future, at this point U execs think "Drood" is the most likely to be del Toro’s first post-"Hobbit" directing vehicle.

If both sides have their way, the helmer will belong to Universal after "The Hobbit" wraps.

In addition to the four pics, the studio still has its sights set on del Toro’s pet project, an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s "At the Mountains of Madness."

As if that is not enough to keep him busy, U also has on the horizon an adaptation of David Moody’s apocalyptic novel "Hater" that del Toro will produce with Mark Johnson but not direct, and "Crimson Peak," a gothic romance spec script by del Toro and his "Mimic" collaborator Matthew Robbins, which del Toro will produce but not direct.

While he busies himself with "Hobbit," del Toro will outline the other projects and hire writers. The pics will be supervised at del Toro Prods. by his manager, Gary Ungar, who’ll be exec producer of the films and will oversee the slate with development director Russell Ackerman and U exec Scott Bernstein.

"No one expected ‘The Hobbit’ to come about; it was the most marvelous monkey wrench tossed into my life," del Toro said. "I consider (the new deals) the renewal of my marital vows with Universal."

U production prexy Donna Langley said the helmer’s "Hobbit" hiatus will only delay plans to dive into the del Toro business.

"We came out the other side of some tough conversations with a stronger bond and sense of long-term commitment," Langley said. "Guillermo is in the most prolific time of his life … Joe Johnston on ‘The Wolf Man’ showed us the importance of entrusting the Universal franchise monsters to experienced filmmakers with voices. That was a big impetus for our decision to go with Guillermo to put his creative stamp on these properties."

Langley said she is intrigued by "Drood," in which Simmons supposes that survival from a catastrophic train crash changed author Charles Dickens, plunging him into the depths of London depravity and possibly turning him to murder before he wrote his final novel, "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."

"It’s the fantasy and gothic horror world Guillermo finds comfortable," Langley said. "It feels like a great fit for where (we expect) Guillermo will have evolved as a filmmaker five years from now."

Frankenstein represents a longtime fascination for del Toro, who has made his home a memorabilia shrine to the Karloff monster from the 1931 U film.

"To me, Frankenstein represents the essential human question: ‘Why did my creator throw me here, unprotected, unguided, unaided and lost?’ " del Toro said. "With that one, they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands to prevent me from directing it."

On "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," del Toro wants to stick more closely to Robert Louis Stevenson’s prose and explore the addictive high the repressed Jekyll experienced as his murderous alter ego.

Del Toro plans to provide a more literal interpretation of "Slaughterhouse-Five" than in the 1972 film adaptation, hewing closely to the Vonnegut novel about a prisoner in a German WWII POW camp who travels through time and space.

"There are ways that Vonnegut plays with and juxtaposes time that was perhaps too edgy to be tackled on film at that time," del Toro said.

Meanwhile, del Toro is awaiting word on whether U will embrace a follow-up to "Hellboy 2: The Golden Army." The big-budget film opened in the heat of summer and fell short of blockbuster status in the U.S. but has performed well overseas.

"I think they’ll decide when the last euro hits the piggybank," del Toro said. "We laid the groundwork to have a magnificent third act. I’d like to return to an action franchise with 60-year-old actor Ron Perlman, because he’ll be scratching at that age when I get to it."

Langley said the studio is interested and may work with del Toro to add a TV series and online segments to broaden the following before making the series finale.
Old 10-04-12, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fucking finally. I've been waiting for him to get a chance to do this forever. He's a huge ass fan of the book and w/ his imagination...It'll be pretty badass.

via Shock till you drop:

Shock Till You Drop: The classic Universal monster films form a kind of religion for you…

Guillermo Del Toro: The most exciting thing for me is to think that as a kid – this in my biography – there was a moment of pure joy. Because I’m here talking about movies I love that I discovered as a child, that discovered for me a whole different way of making horror films, with humanity and beauty, with compassion, with power. And I really, really couldn’t be happier to be here. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it’s a dream come true.

Shock: Have you seen any of the new prints yet?

Del Toro: No, that’s what I told my wife. I said, “I want to see The Man Who Laughs, the brand-new print. I want to see this, The Bride of Frankenstein, the brand-new print, Creature from the Black Lagoon…” I’m very happy. [laughs]

Shock: Can you say where your own Frankenstein film project is right now?

Del Toro: Yeah, actually [Universal Pictures Co-Chairman] Donna Langley just put us on track to write the screenplay. So, we’re going to start writing the script. It’s a very long endeavor for me; it’s going to require a couple of years just to write it. But it’s been put back on track by Donna.

Shock: How has the story remained relevant?

Del Toro: I think it will never go away. Because some figures you can reinterpret in so many ways. You can do Tarzan in space, Tarzan in the future, Tarzan in the past. You can do Frankenstein as a metaphor for consumerism. You can do Frankenstein as a metaphor for the loneliness of man. You can do Sherlock Holmes in London 2012. You can do Sherlock Holmes in World War II. They are timeless. So Frankenstein is one of these characters, in this gallery, that belong to humanity. Their stories will be repeated time and again, and we will be telling them for as long as we are human.

Shock: One could argue there’s never been an entirely successful version of Frankenstein that’s remained very faithful to Shelly’s novel. Do you see yours as that version, or will it be a looser interpretation?

Del Toro: I think the moment that the only quality you can claim is faithfulness… It’s a very difficult, tricky slope. Because then anytime that you deviate from that, you’re betraying the very goal you submitted. I’m being very faithful to trying to encompass the whole narrative of the novel. I’m being very faithful in that I’m trying to capture the spirit of the novel, when I read it as a kid, and how it impacted me. I recognize that it’s both biography and prophecy about my life. It’s a very personal film. In many ways it’s the most personal film I’ll ever make, because my connection with the creature is very profound and deep and I don’t think there’s any other monster that has affected me as much.

Shock: So, you want to take as much time as required to get it exactly right?

Del Toro: Yeah, that also means that I’ve been avoiding it in a cowardly way for many years. [Laughs.] It’s something that I’ve been… not quite so much reticent about as I’ve been mindful and cautious. But borderline avoiding. Because I really think it’s going to be the one movie that I feel is gonna signify [me] more than any other in my life.

Shock: Another project you’ve had in development that’s reminiscent of Frankenstein in some respects – as well as Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – is the Hulk TV show. Can you say where that project stands right now?

Del Toro: Right now all I know is the official word I was given is that there’s a writer they want. They are very interested in me meeting with him. He’s very, very busy. The official word is we are holding, but I don’t know… After Avengers having the success it had, perhaps the fate of the project may change. Right now officially what I know – and I’m not hiding anything off the record or anything – is that we were told we were waiting for this writer, and we were going to do it with him.

Shock: If it moves forward, would you still like to direct the pilot?

Del Toro: Of course. The reason is that the superheroes I like and that I would like to get involved with are all monsters. Be it Swamp Thing, Etrigan [the Demon], Doctor Strange – which is not a monster, but…

Shock: A dark fantasy saga.

Del Toro: Yeah. Certainly supernatural. I would love to do Morbius [the Living Vampire], Blade – they have to be monsters for me to be involved.

Shock: Thank you very much, Guillermo.

Del Toro: Sure, my pleasure!
Old 10-04-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Frankenstein (Writer/Director: Del Toro)

Meh. Call me in 2017.
Old 10-04-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

A couple years just to write it?! Who's this guy think he is, Tarantino?

Hey Del Toro, it's Frankenstein. It's already fucking written.
Old 10-04-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
A couple years just to write it?! Who's this guy think he is, Tarantino?

Hey Del Toro, it's Frankenstein. It's already fucking written.
You're under the assumption that he's going to adapt it from the source material.

Calm yourself.
Old 10-04-12, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the finest books ever written. I hope Del Toro can do it justice. As much as I love the James Whale version, it doesn't capture the spirit of the book.
Old 10-04-12, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You're under the assumption that he's going to adapt it from the source material.

Calm yourself.
Uhhhh...he is adapting the book.

2 years is long but take note that he's always busy. 2 years seems realistic for that.
Old 10-04-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC

2 years is long but take note that he's always busy. 2 years seems realistic for that.

I guess I misread it then. I agree on the being busy part. He's got another year left on Pacific Rim.
Old 10-04-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

This thread should be closed and reopened in say 3 years.
Old 10-04-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Always busy? Doing what?

In the last 5 years he's directed 1 movie and was involved in some other movies, most of which I've never heard of.
Old 10-04-12, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will never get made.
Old 10-05-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Hatbox Ghost first, Frankenstein later.
Old 10-05-12, 12:16 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Always busy? Doing what?

In the last 5 years he's directed 1 movie and was involved in some other movies, most of which I've never heard of.
You've never heard of The Hobbit?
Old 10-05-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

No DeNiro = no sale
Old 10-05-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's become a joke every time he announces a new project. Every one is some dream project, and like another poster mentioned, he's directed one film in the past five years.
Old 10-05-12, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I like Del Toro and would be interested in seeing this but he seems like one of those directors who starts a bunch of projects and takes forever to get them finished. When it's out though I'll be interested.
Old 10-05-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I would say DelToro sells me immediately, but there is a very strong chance this won't see the light of day for a LONG time.
Old 10-05-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You've never heard of The Hobbit?
You've never heard of Peter Jackson? He actually made the damn movie. It comes out in about a month.

The same can't be said for most of Del Toro's projects.

I would say he needs to budget his time better if he wastes so much of it on projects that never see the light of day.
Old 10-05-12, 10:49 AM
Banned

I don't think you understand how long Del Toro was on that. And how long it took him out of actually directing something.
Old 10-05-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Haters gonna hate.
Old 10-05-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Haters gonna hate.
Lovers gonna love.
Old 10-05-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think you understand how long Del Toro was on that. And how long it took him out of actually directing something.
Again, Jackson got it done and Del Toro didn't. I don't give a rat's ass if he spent years TRYING to get it done...he failed to get it done.

Look, it's pretty clear that I just don't understand the Del Toro hype machine, but to those of you that seem to love the guy to death, isn't it frustrating to you that such a great director has only finished 1 movie in the last 5 years and has spent time being a producer on shit like "While She Was Out"?

The guy can have all the dreams he wants, but he has very few finished products.
Old 10-05-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clappj
Lovers gonna love.
Yeah? And?
Old 10-05-12, 01:36 PM
Banned

Again, Jackson got it done and Del Toro didn't. I don't give a rat's ass if he spent years TRYING to get it done...he failed to get it done.

Look, it's pretty clear that I just don't understand the Del Toro hype machine, but to those of you that seem to love the guy to death, isn't it frustrating to you that such a great director has only finished 1 movie in the last 5 years and has spent time being a producer on shit like "While She Was Out"?

The guy can have all the dreams he wants, but he has very few finished products.

Yeah. Del Toro left after it was taking a long time w/ the rights and etc. It wasn't just him trying to get it done. It was him going to direct and PJ getting everything else on it done too. It was a team collaboration for the production. DT doing pre production and script work w/ the position to direct and PJ w/ his people doing all that and more except the directing. 2 years he worked on it. Got hired for it on April 2008. He left it on May 30, 2010.

It's not like he failed on it. If anyone is to blame on that front it'd be the studio not being able to clear up the rights issues w/ MGM. Del Toro did what he only could do. Wait. Turns out it took too long for him and he left on good terms. again...May 2010.

Not sure what he did in June 2010. Probably took a shit, had fun, read stuff, got geekier and ate great Mexican food. Among other things.

July 28th, 2010. It was confirmed that he was going to do Mountains of Madness w/ Cameron producing and filmed in 3D. And it was going to be R w/ Cruise as the lead. Production going to the assumed date of May 2011. Universal pussies out and that ended that one in March 2011, the big factor? The rating...they buckled on it even w/ James Cameron producing it for DT. DT wouldn't go for less (I still need to read it..but what rating would you guys think a movie on it would be?). He still had hope for the film to be involved at another Studio until April of this year cuz it seems like Prometheus kind of killed it for him w/the themes involved and how alike they are to him.

Soooo...yeah. The Hobbit failed him. 50/50 on Madness.

Pretty much after Madness going down in 2011. He went quickly to Pacific Rim. Sooooo he's been really busy since 2008. He's been very fucking busy in getting a film done. I don't see how that's a failure if you look at the facts.

Also.....producing is easy for directors. You'd be amazed how many things directors produce when they're not directing. On hands and executive. Nice extra cash flow.
Old 10-05-12, 01:53 PM
Banned by request

You've never heard of Peter Jackson? He actually made the damn movie. It comes out in about a month.

The same can't be said for most of Del Toro's projects.

I would say he needs to budget his time better if he wastes so much of it on projects that never see the light of day.
The reason Del Toro left is because the rights situation was taking so long that it was preventing him from making other movies. He couldn't have foreseen that they would clear it up soon after he left.

And now we get The Hobbit from PJ, who should have been directing in the first place, and a brand new film from Del Toro (Pacific Rim) that looks awesome. Winner? Us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.