Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
10.68%
35.92%
32.04%
10.68%
3.88%
0.97%
2.91%
0%
0%
0.97%
0%
I’d rather have IT lopped off than watch this!
1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Very good film. When I first saw the promo shots of JGL as Willis I didn't buy it, but after watching the film it didn't bother me one bit. His mannerisms, tone, and inflection were very impressive. Excellent impersonation of Willis by JGL.

I really liked the story. Thought it was very well written, clever, and as "logical" as a time travel film can be. Really enjoyed the ending, glad Johnson didn't cop out and make some happy love story.

I normally can't stand child actors, but the little boy who played Sid was good. He sure can do an evil look.

This isn't my favorite film of the year, but I'd be surprised if it left my final top 10.

Grade: A
Old 09-28-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it.

My only beef with the movie was your beef. If criminals have access to time travel, they would be using it to do a hell of a lot more than what they were in this movie. I think TimeCop did a better job of illustrating what would happen in that regard than this movie. Still, the time travel is just a plot device for this movie, not the actual plot.

Overall, very well made. The best parts of the movie are what you can see from the world created that aren't mentioned or made part of the plot (rich people non-chalantly killing the poor in the street). JGL did a great job, and if they want to re-boot Die Hard with him as John McClane, I say go for it. Too many twists and turns to go into detail, but good sci-fi that actually was sci-fi, not an action movie posing as sci-fi.

That said, I see this getting bad word of mouth. A lot of the TV ads are trying to make it look like another Willis action movie. While there is some good action, it is far from that in just about every regard. Joe Public will go on thinking it's one thing, and when they get what it truly is, they will hate it and trash it to their friends. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see happening.

Hopefully they keep the mythology going with a sequel or graphic novel, etc.
Old 09-28-12, 07:09 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok did anyone else think that the 'Kid' (fuckup with the gun) was really...

Spoiler:
Abe? (Jeff Daniels character)
Old 09-28-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris

Spoiler:

No, but that would have been pretty neat.
Old 09-28-12, 07:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think it was implied and totally plausible. Why else would he keep a fuckup around like that? His face reflected that he regretted breaking his hand...
Old 09-28-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was implied and totally plausible. Why else would he keep a fuckup around like that? His face reflected that he regretted breaking his hand...
The injury on the fuck up, if it was him, would have broken Daniel's own hand. If it were Daniels then he would have also had matching limps.

They'd already showed you consequences of injury to the young selfs in
Spoiler:
Paul Dano's character.
Old 09-28-12, 10:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

very well done. liked it a lot.
Old 09-29-12, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just saw this tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit. I rated it 4 stars in the poll. My complaint is that I felt it slowed down quite a bit and got a bit boring half way in to establish Sara and Cid. I enjoyed the rest of the near future world and time travel stuff far, far more, and I agree that I would have loved to see a much longer montage of young Joe growing old. That was my favorite part of the movie and would have loved to see more of this world.

The ending was a bit of a mixed bag for me as well.
Spoiler:
I liked how everything came together and Joe's realization, but it all seemed so quick and sudden with the movie ending abruptly after he kills himself. I don't really know what else could have been said or shown at that point, but it just seemed sudden. It would have been cool to see a glimpse of the Rainmaker in the future too, scar and everything

I have to say though, that kid's acting was pretty impressive for a 5 year old.

Spoiler:
I kept thinking that was going to be the case as well, and was disappointed that there wasn't some sort of reveal there, as it would have both characters a bit more interesting.
Old 09-29-12, 08:14 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Well, since you went there, my biggest gripe about the ending was:
Spoiler:
since he killed himself, the whole movie shouldn't have taken place because there would have been no 'him' from the future to be the antagonist.
Old 09-29-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoiler:
since he killed himself, the whole movie shouldn't have taken place because there would have been no 'him' from the future to be the antagonist.
This, and the double-reboot of the sendback still have my head scratching. I will likely see this again.

Also, the scene where Dano's future self sees the changes made to his body is one of the coldest, most frightening things I have seen in any film in a very, very long time.

The little kid gave me the creeps, too. By the ending that was gone but for the first 30+ minutes... chilling.
Old 09-29-12, 09:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
My complaint is that I felt it slowed down quite a bit and got a bit boring half way in to establish Sara and Cid. I enjoyed the rest of the near future world and time travel stuff far, far more, and I agree that I would have loved to see a much longer montage of young Joe growing old. That was my favorite part of the movie and would have loved to see more of this world.
agreed about it slowing down a bit. that is why i gave it 4 stars. the CG to JGL was a little jarring too. i kept fixating on that just because i knew it had been done. had i not known, i don't think i would have even cared however.

really good acting and interactions and i just enjoyed it for what it was and didn't look to deeply into the whole future convultions or anything. not this viewing at least. will focus more on the home viewings.

overall, very good sci-fi and one of the better made, well portrayed movies this year.
Old 09-29-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by The Bus
This, and the double-reboot of the sendback still have my head scratching. I will likely see this again.

Also, the scene where Dano's future self sees the changes made to his body is one of the coldest, most frightening things I have seen in any film in a very, very long time.

The little kid gave me the creeps, too. By the ending that was gone but for the first 30+ minutes... chilling.
This is where Bruce Willis' quote in the diner about not talking about this time travel shit because it gives him a headache would be apt

Love that scene with the older Dano as well, that creeped me out as it was happening.
Old 09-29-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Really enjoyed this. I'm actually surprised that the movie seems a little smaller scale then I initially thought. Also in this day and age, it's great to see a plot point not be spoiled in the trailers and/or marketing. Had no idea that telekinesis would even be a factor in this movie. Loved the Bruce Willis montage and it's the best acting he's done in a long time. Surprised that Bruce Willis actually becomes the bad guy during the course of the movie. I would've loved a sneak into the future at the end but I'm not angry because they chose not to show it. Great movie!
Old 09-29-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The injury on the fuck up, if it was him, would have broken Daniel's own hand. If it were Daniels then he would have also had matching limps.

They'd already showed you consequences of injury to the young selfs in
Spoiler:
Paul Dano's character.
Yeah but it's not like Daniels mutilated him like they did with Dano's character. It could totally still be plausible that Kid Blue is Abe.
Old 09-29-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Really enjoyed this. I'm actually surprised that the movie seems a little smaller scale then I initially thought. Also in this day and age, it's great to see a plot point not be spoiled in the trailers and/or marketing. Had no idea that telekinesis would even be a factor in this movie. Loved the Bruce Willis montage and it's the best acting he's done in a long time. Surprised that Bruce Willis actually becomes the bad guy during the course of the movie. I would've loved a sneak into the future at the end but I'm not angry because they chose not to show it. Great movie!
^^big ol' Spoiler warning on that post

Last edited by RichC2; 09-29-12 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
^^Not sure how much of this is accurate, but yeah, big ol' Spoiler warning on that post
I say enter at your own risk in a reviews thread. If you don't know that by now, I don't know what to do.
Old 09-29-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, completely disagree, I tend to skim reviews to see how well received a movie is. Don't really think most people go see a movie flat out blind anymore. I guess there's RottenTomatoes and Metacritic, but regular reviews are always better.

Discussion threads on the other hand, yeah I get that.
Old 09-29-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, I disagree, I tend to skim reviews to see how well received a movie is. Generally spoilers are marked as spoilers.

Discussion threads on the other hand, yeah I get that.
Well, you disagreed and got the movie spoiled for you.
Old 09-29-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, you disagreed and got the movie spoiled for you.
Right on. Missed the sticky, spoiler warning and logic on that one.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-29-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah but it's not like Daniels mutilated him like they did with Dano's character. It could totally still be plausible that Kid Blue is Abe.
No, because then Abe would have had the limp and every subsequent injury that the dullard had. By the time we would have seen Abe in the end he'd be all battered up. It would have been sort of slapstick.
Old 09-29-12, 02:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I think they can fix limps by 2075 especially since he was a rich mob boss..
Old 09-29-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they can fix limps by 2075 especially since he was a rich mob boss..

Now you're reaching. Then why didn't old Abe's hand break when he smashed his "younger self?" That should have happened instantly. I don't know where all of this "the dullard could have been Abe's younger self" is coming from. It's not him and they've already showed you why.
Old 09-29-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you understand how it works. He would only be injuring his younger self. It will have healed by the time he is older and travels back in time. Only when JGL permanently scars himself does Willis' body change. It's not like if JGL punches Willis he feels the punch himself.

Would have been a cool scene to have Willis kill him and watch Jeff Daniels disappear.
Old 09-29-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
I don't think you understand how it works. He would only be injuring his younger self. It will have healed by the time he is older and travels back in time. Only when JGL permanently scars himself does Willis' body change. It's not like if JGL punches Willis he feels the punch himself.

Would have been a cool scene to have Willis kill him and watch Jeff Daniels disappear.

Then explain Dano's old/young self in the same time period. They're hurting Dano right then and there, so his old self is going through the trauma right then and there. Abe breaks the kid's hand right then and there, so why didn't Abe flinch?

Unless I hear it from Johnson, then there's no way the Kid Blue was Abe.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-29-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One theory I can concede on is that maybe Kid Blue was Abe's son. Blue mentions that all he ever wanted to do was make Abe proud of him. Maybe there's a deleted scene or it will make it in the unrated or director's cut?

I'll take that over Abe being Kid Blue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.