Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Carpenter's Halloween Returns to Theaters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
HALLOWEEN on the big screen...

"John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN" - OCTOBER 30 & 31, 8PM
Don't miss two nights of Halloween terror featuring the horror classic that started it all - the original Halloween - on the Big Screen! Plus, catch exclusive interviews with cast members of the original horror classic and the filmmakers of the next Halloween, including Rob Zombie - seen only at this two-night event. In Select Movie Theatres nationwide on Oct. 30 and 31 at 8pm local.
Seating is limited - check back soon for tickets!
Looks like I'm heading out to Lincolnshire on Halloween (or the day before)!!!
Old 10-04-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just watched the dvd last nite....i would have held off....oh well
Old 10-04-06, 04:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This better be print and not a damn dvd projection like the Nightmare On Elm Street fiasco.
Old 10-04-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing happens when I click on theatre locations.
Old 10-06-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NewYorkRipper
This better be print and not a damn dvd projection like the Nightmare On Elm Street fiasco.
Nope,all these 'event' screenings are shown in the same unfortunate way.
Old 10-06-06, 06:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Too bad... watching prints would be so fullfilling. If I wanted to see the dvd I would just watch it at home on my sony XBR.
Old 10-06-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Nothing happens when I click on theatre locations.
Put your zip code in the "Buy Tickets" field. When you click "go" it will list the local theaters.
Old 10-06-06, 10:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm there
Old 10-07-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
It might still be worth it if they didn't charge $10! I saw Nightmare on Elm Street and it was still kinda neat, but I'm not going to keep going back for that price.
Old 10-07-06, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i missed nightmare, but to my understanding all the re-releases are christie projectors...or there equal. My father installed some of the satelites that broadcast the movie out to the theaters in the dallas area.

he put one in for the MTV video awards a few years back, and said not a single person showed for the event...he was up to his ears in free cocktail shrimp and so on
Old 10-18-06, 05:08 PM

Does the attendance for these types of showings get added into the grosses for the film, like what happened with the Stars Wars Special Editions?

I'm curious to know why these are being done. With all of the bad and horrible remakes that Hollywood does, why not simply put the original films back in the theater to increase the profits instead? There are quite a few classic movies that I would not mind seeing in the theater once again. It is cleary much cheaper, gives studios a chance to showcase older titles to a younger audience. With the response Lucas got to the Special Edition Star Wars film, I think it's a feasible plan.
Old 10-20-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Closest theater is 160 miles away! Weak sauce.
Old 10-23-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Got my tickets for the showing on the 30th. I can't wait for this one. Halloween has been my favorite movie since the 1st time I saw it.
Old 10-23-06, 08:43 PM

What?! They use the DVD for these showings?! Wouldn't it look like a POS projected that big?
Old 10-25-06, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the post, I didnt' realize this was going down. I'm so there, a theater in my town showing. Guess I better put watching it off on dvd and see it on the big screen. Yay.
Old 10-26-06, 05:42 AM
Banned

I have a couple questions about the Halloween movies that I have always wondered about. I have only seen the first two movies since they were the only "official" ones made by John Carpenter, so maybe my questions have been answered in the sequels.

1) Why is Michael Myers refered to as "The Shape" in the credits? There is never any reference to the term "The Shape" in either movie.

2) Why does Michael always wear that pale white mask? Yeah sure it is a horror movie, and that mask makes him look even more spooky, but is there any logical reason he wears it? In the very brief time we see him without the mask on at the end of the first movie, it doesn't look like he is disfigured or gross looking or anything (which is Jason Vorhees always covered his face).
Old 10-26-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer

2) Why does Michael always wear that pale white mask?
I take it you never heard the William Shatner story?
Old 10-26-06, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trout
I take it you never heard the William Shatner story?
I have heard that the mask was made by taking a William Shatner mask and painting it completely white. I didn't think that was actually supposed to symbolize anything in the actual movie though. Was Michael just a hardcore Shatner fan?
Old 10-26-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I have heard that the mask was made by taking a William Shatner mask and painting it completely white. I didn't think that was actually supposed to symbolize anything in the actual movie though. Was Michael just a hardcore Shatner fan?
The reason Michael never spoke was because he had the "shatner pause" in his voice.
Old 10-30-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Why is Michael Myers refered to as "The Shape" in the credits? There is never any reference to the term "The Shape" in either movie.
Tony Moran basically put it that Michael Myers is his face. The man under the mask, while the Shape is the mask itself. Several people have played the shape, but he is the only one who played Michael (excluding Will Sandin at age 6)

2) Why does Michael always wear that pale white mask? Yeah sure it is a horror movie, and that mask makes him look even more spooky, but is there any logical reason he wears it? In the very brief time we see him without the mask on at the end of the first movie, it doesn't look like he is disfigured or gross looking or anything (which is Jason Vorhees always covered his face).
Spoiler:

I think the idea behind the mask in the first movie was that his original killing as a child took place on Halloween while he was wearing a costume/mask...It was just sort of ritualistic thing for a serial killer. The mask stuck in the second movie, as its a continuation of the first night.

When Halloween 3 nose dived and public cried for Michael the slasher back in action, you could be damned assured that mask was going to show back up in the 4th film (though the first killings take place with just bandages on his face) From that point it was just so iconic, they had to have it back

Originally Posted by indy2029
What?! They use the DVD for these showings?! Wouldn't it look like a POS projected that big?
Not a dvd exactly. its broadcast in with a satelite. A digital presentation.

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
Does the attendance for these types of showings get added into the grosses for the film, like what happened with the Stars Wars Special Editions?

I'm curious to know why these are being done. With all of the bad and horrible remakes that Hollywood does, why not simply put the original films back in the theater to increase the profits instead? There are quite a few classic movies that I would not mind seeing in the theater once again. It is cleary much cheaper, gives studios a chance to showcase older titles to a younger audience.
the grosses are added to the film, same as if it was a print. I was involved with a theater and they tried to get Halloween last year as a print. They wanted 500 bucks for two nights plus have the gate, and all of that total would go towards the film gross. Apparently Carpenter owns rights to most of his films for re-release exhibition...i wonder how this showing falls into that.

It is cost effective beyond belief. No cost to print the film/ship the film/ replace broken or damaged film, etc. WIth THe projection getting better, and the films being restored to HD broadcast quality, I see this as a win for revival theater screenings. While most people would prefer a quality film print, this makes it financially possible.

I have a feeling more movies will start getting these type of presentations. Both New and old. Indie films, documentaries, and staple classics all will benefit from the idea, since the former two are in grea part shot digital anyways.

Last edited by Cameron; 10-30-06 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 09:54 AM

The show I attended last night was pretty crowded, and once the sound guy got it working it was really cool. Missed prob the first 5 minutes of the specials before the movie, upsetting lots of patrons.

Not sure if it was true to the original in it's viewing, but it said it was shown as it originally was shown, and when those words came up, the words slowly got noticably blurrier etc.

Was cool to see it on the big screen finally, although it cost us 40 bucks for the 4 of us, instead of watching it at my house.
Old 09-14-12, 01:54 PM

http://www.screenvision.com/cinema-events/halloween/
Old 09-14-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: John Carpenter's Halloween Returns to Theaters

Interesting, but I'd rather catch a 35mm screening in L.A.
Old 09-14-12, 04:50 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I went to see this in theatres a few years back....and they played a freakin dvd on the big screen.
Old 09-14-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Interesting, but I'd rather catch a 35mm screening in L.A.
There is one playing in L.A. at The Regent, but it doesn't say if it's 35 mm or not. I'll check the The Regent website and report back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.