Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Brolin, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Wilson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Brolin, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Wilson

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Brolin, Wi

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So basically it's frustrating, fascinating, narratively meandering, technically stunning, and full of nekkid people. Typical PTA .
Yup. Just the way we like it.

Although, I will admit PTA really fucked up The Master. All of that acting talent and what seemed to be an interesting storyline, and he just did not do a good job putting the film together.
Old 12-06-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Brolin, Wi

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Although, I will admit PTA really fucked up The Master. All of that acting talent and what seemed to be an interesting storyline, and he just did not do a good job putting the film together.
IMO The Master might be his best film, different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-06-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm curious how The Master will age. I was sort of fascinated and frustrated by the film in equal parts. Long live 70mm though.
Old 12-08-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
This comes out in one week, but only on 5 screens. I guess the rest of us will have to wait until nationwide expansion on January 9.
Is it going to get any 35mm screenings ala Interstellar?
Old 12-08-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

70mm in Los Angeles

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movi...-inherent-vice
Old 12-14-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So basically it's frustrating, fascinating, narratively meandering, technically stunning, and full of nekkid people. Typical PTA .
It was all this except for the last part, unless you count 1 person doing a monologue.
Old 12-14-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The MPAA stuff listed "graphic nudity," after the weirdness in The Master, I was expecting similar acres of flesh.
Old 12-15-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from the 70mm screening at the Cinerama Dome at Arclight.

I'm someone who mostly loves all of Anderson's films, and I really love "Boogie Nights".

I dug Inherent Vice, but it's easy to see why some may disagree. It's a convoluted film that is as unfocused and hazy as Doc himself. There are just so damn many characters, all with differing motivations and all working with/against someone else. There's A LOT to absorb. A good film can present itself as a puzzle, keeping viewers guessing all throughout. But at some point that puzzle should come together with at least some sense of satisfaction. This film gets so wrapped up in itself that it's hard to call the ending satisfying or even an end. It's just... done.

The look was great, pure '70s aesthetic with thick grain and that Golden Age cinematography. Killer soundtrack and score, too.

I wasn't a big fan of so much being shot in close-up. There are very few two shots or masters or even medium; it's almost entirely close and claustrophobic. Maybe P.T. was trying to draw viewers in closer to Doc's world, maybe it was to increase the vibe of paranoia, but it was too confining for me.

I'd say a good comparison film would be The Long Goodbye. This definitely showed major influence from Altman's film.

Oh, and this is easily the longest film featuring Belladonna I've ever made it through.

Multiple viewings required here, that's for sure.
Old 12-30-14, 10:56 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 01-08-15, 11:18 AM

Just bumping this because this should be going wide this weekend. Going to see it tonight at 7:30.
Old 01-08-15, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Brolin, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Wi

I like PTA. Really liked The Master, though I'd love to see wtf an extended cut on that one was like if possible.
Old 01-08-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I dug Inherent Vice, but it's easy to see why some may disagree. It's a convoluted film that is as unfocused and hazy as Doc himself. There are just so damn many characters, all with differing motivations and all working with/against someone else. There's A LOT to absorb. A good film can present itself as a puzzle, keeping viewers guessing all throughout. But at some point that puzzle should come together with at least some sense of satisfaction. This film gets so wrapped up in itself that it's hard to call the ending satisfying or even an end. It's just... done.

The look was great, pure '70s aesthetic with thick grain and that Golden Age cinematography. Killer soundtrack and score, too.

I'd say a good comparison film would be The Long Goodbye. This definitely showed major influence from Altman's film.

Oh, and this is easily the longest film featuring Belladonna I've ever made it through.

Multiple viewings required here, that's for sure.
pretty much my exact thoughts. i enjoyed it a lot. just felt a little too fatty.
Old 01-08-15, 10:12 PM

Re: Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Brolin, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Wi

Yup. I concur. Was underwhelmed. Phoenix was great in the role though
Old 01-11-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Watched it. Liked it. Didn't love it. Least favorite PTA.

I've read the book, and while he was very faithful to it, he strangely didn't take the more cinematic passages from the book to the movie. Being, you know, a movie, I thought that would be a given. But it was very flat, mostly just scene after scene of two people talking. Which is fine, and I did like it, but it kept me at a distance.

And what's with all the close ups? I swear, there were hardly any establishing shots to orient myself to what's going on. Most of the time, each shot was just tight on each face. It got really old, and uncharacteristically uncinematic for PTA. I expected more, especially since he seemed to be growing as a filmmaker with each subsequent film.
Old 01-11-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a problem I had, too. So few master, wide or even medium shots. Very confined and claustrophobic framing, but it did add to Doc's sense of paranoia I suppose.
Old 01-11-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Packed to the brim with plot and character information. There's so much going on, that anyone who enjoys it is going to need to watch it at least a few times. The average moviegoer probably won't be able to follow the plot, nor take time to analyze what's going on with the characters. A lot of the moments are thrown at you, and acceptable as-is. And then you have to think back and answer the question yourself.

I've heard lots of 60-70's LA-area stories from a guy I know. The setting is perfect and exactly how I had envisioned a lot of his stories. The women were very real. The conservative and anti-hippy police force.

PTA works in a lot of good music. But it's handled differently than before. Don't expect that immediately-visceral result.

[I'm taking this from Ebert.] PTA's movies are also very unpredictable. The plots, the characters and the filmmaking technique. Once we hit the 100 minute mark, the film could wrap up or cut out at any moment. It's a very good feeling to have no idea what's going to happen next.

I might get to the theater to watch it again. It's definitely something I want to watch a couple more times.
Old 01-11-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
The setting is perfect and exactly how I had envisioned a lot of his stories.
The setting was actually much better handled in the book. Each scene in the movie was zoomed in so tight on a character's face, you couldn't even see the setting most of the time. So much so, it felt like a cost-cutting measure rather than an artistic one, and at $20 million, it's pretty cheap for a movie in today's dollars, especially for a period piece. Hone Alone had a $20mil budget, and that's in 1990 dollars, today it would be about $35mil.
Old 01-11-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did anyone notice that there was a maritime lawyer and frozen bananas within a few minutes of each other? Maybe I'm binging on Arrested Development too much.
Old 01-12-15, 12:37 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Definitely an improvement over the Master and it is actually pretty easy to follow for a good portion of the movie, but loses steam and focus in the last hour or so, and the tone was pretty uneven. Worth seeing though, but I won't remember much about it in 10 years and have no burning desire to see it again.
Old 01-12-15, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If I could have put the pieces together better and wasn't so confused by a lot of it I probably would have rated it even higher, but as it stands I thought it was really good. It had almost a hypnotic quality to it, even though I was baffled by most of it, I was so sucked in and entranced by it that it didn't matter.
Old 01-15-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bPB6GXG7Wa8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty good interview. I feel less pathetic that I was lost at times. PTA mentions there's a lot of information to follow.
Old 01-17-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This film was a chore to sit through. I simply didn't really care for any characters in the film, and the overly long takes and meandering plotlines just didn't really pay off well for me, so it's a miss for me.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 01-20-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not as good as The Master, but I liked it. Mickey Spillane meets The Big Lebowski. Josh Brolin was a trip in every scene he was in.

4.5/5

Chotto, Kenichiro, Dozo! Motto panukeiku... motto panukeiku! MOTTO PANUKEIKU!
Old 01-22-15, 12:49 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Not as good as The Master, but I liked it. Mickey Spillane meets The Big Lebowski. Josh Brolin was a trip in every scene he was in.

4.5/5

Chotto, Kenichiro, Dozo! Motto panukeiku... motto panukeiku! MOTTO PANUKEIKU!
Not trolling, genuinely curious: what did you find so great about The Master?
Old 01-22-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think The Master is PTA's best movie. And the fact that I can't quite articulate why, is just part of the reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.