DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Brolin, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Wilson (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/604512-inherent-vice-2014-p-t-anderson-s-phoenix-brolin-del-toro-witherspoon-wilson.html)

Osiris3657 09-04-12 11:33 PM

Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Brolin, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Wilson

Per Empire:

Empire's Damon Wise is currently at the Venice Film Festival, and it's there that he spoke to Paul Thomas Anderson about his latest film, The Master, as well as his next project, Inherent Vice.

Based on the Thomas Pynchon novel of the same name, it's a 1970s Californian detective story that sees a stoner private eye called Larry "Doc" Sportello helping a former lover with an intriguing and ever-so-complicated, shaggy-dog-story of a case involving infidelity, mental institutions and policemen called "Bigfoot".

Anderson describes it as being "like a Cheech and Chong movie. [Adapting Pychon's work is] just gonna be great and, hopefully, fun."

RDJ has been attached to the project for over a year. I think with PTA's involvement he's going to star in this.

Supermallet 09-04-12 11:37 PM

re: Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Brolin, Wilson

Sounds like Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang Pt. 2. Count me in!

riotinmyskull 09-05-12 04:19 AM

re: Inherent Vice (2014, P.T. Anderson) S: Phoenix, Del Toro, Witherspoon, Brolin, Wilson

:thumbsup: glad to see he's going to follow through and make this!

conscience 09-05-12 05:44 AM

Bring it.

Sondheim 09-05-12 08:57 AM

Interested to see Anderson tackle Pynchon, who I've always considered an unfilmable author (though I still haven't read Inherent Vice.)

Crocker Jarmen 09-05-12 12:28 PM

Brings The Big Lebowski to mind for me.

The Valeyard 09-05-12 01:35 PM

HA! Awesome! I can't wait!

TheBang 09-06-12 01:02 AM

Hopefully it doesn't take 5 years to come out?

Hazel Motes 09-06-12 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sondheim (Post 11371868)
Interested to see Anderson tackle Pynchon, who I've always considered an unfilmable author (though I still haven't read Inherent Vice.)

On the upside, Oil! by Upton Sinclair was once widely considered an unfilmable novel. But that didn't seem to stop PTA from making an excellent film. At least in this posters humble opinion.

Coral 09-06-12 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B. (Post 11373014)
Hopefully it doesn't take 5 years to come out?

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-09-...ster-s-master/

"And it's not going to take five years," Anderson says with a sly grin as he disappears into the night. "So you're gonna eat your fucking words."

Coral 09-06-12 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 11373028)
On the upside, Oil! by Upton Sinclair was once widely considered an unfilmable novel. But that didn't seem to stop PTA from making an excellent film. At least in this posters humble opinion.

I haven't read "Oil!" yet, but didn't PTA state that he basically only adapted the first 100 pages of the book and just went with original material for the other parts of the film?

starseed1981 09-06-12 02:19 PM

The book is a very easy read and set almost exclusively around metropolitan LA. So I could see him filiming it quite quickly.

wd40cloud 09-06-12 03:52 PM

Brings The Long Goodbye to mind.

Josh-da-man 09-06-12 04:15 PM

I'm really surprised to see a Pynchon novel being filmed.

Dragon Tattoo 09-06-12 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11373943)
I'm really surprised to see a Pynchon novel being filmed.

Have you not read it? It's the least "Pynchon-esque" of his novels; a simple detective story. It's also the worst. Generic in every way.

Josh-da-man 09-06-12 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11374000)
Have you not read it? It's the least "Pynchon-esque" of his novels; a simple detective story. It's also the worst. Generic in every way.

Not yet, no.

It's hard to imagine it being his worst, though. Mason & Dixon burned me out on reading for a long time.

I'm more surprised that he's letting someone adapt one of his novels. He seems like he'd be the kind of writer who wouldn't let Hollywood touch his work.

DaveyJoe 09-06-12 06:06 PM

Brings Inherent Vice to mind.

dex14 01-24-13 03:00 PM

BREAKING: Joaquin Phoenix is in talks to reteam with The Master helmer Paul Thomas Anderson on Inherent Vice an adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon detective novel. Phoenix is Oscar nominated in The Master, in one of his career best performances. He’s repped by WME and Sloane, Offer, Weber and Dern.

Throwing Copper 01-24-13 11:43 PM

While that's great news, I hope it's in a supporting role. I was really looking forward to seeing what PTA could do with Robert Downey, Jr. in the lead role.

Both of them would be fucking awesome.

dex14 01-25-13 05:18 AM

No. I believe RDJ is out.

RocShemp 01-25-13 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11553591)
No. I believe RDJ is out.

:sad:

Osiris3657 04-09-13 08:11 PM

^ that's confirmed, Joaquin Phoenix is now the lead. Mod update the thread title please?

The Valeyard 04-09-13 10:58 PM

:( Damn.

PenguinJoe 04-10-13 07:17 AM

I read this book about five years ago and envisioned Woody Harrelson.

dex14 04-10-13 07:38 AM

I don't think losing RDJ is a big loss. We've seen him play parts like this before. I know he is good at it. But I am much more interested in seeing Joaquin try something so different from what he has been doing.