Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer B.O. attendance lowest in 20 years

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Summer B.O. attendance lowest in 20 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Summer B.O. attendance lowest in 20 years

Originally Posted by wm lopez
That the movie comes to dvd in less than a year and free t.v. in about 2 years is mine.
Yep, movies have much shorter shelf life now due to home video and the proliferation of cable. Everyone knows that most movies will be freely available to watch in a couple of years at most, except for a small handful of genres that don't translate well to cable.
Old 09-10-12, 12:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Sturgeon's Law. Movies have always been 99% crap. It never bothered people before.

In 1992, which was overall a pretty good year for movies, three of the top four box office winners were sequels.

If you reverse the list and look at the box office losers, you'll see lousy (and happily forgotten) titles like Frozen Assets (a man takes a job as a bank manager, and then discovers Shelly Long is actually running a sperm bank!) or The Efficiency Expert (Anthony Hopkins takes the job of getting more productivity out of a moccasin factory, but realizes that there is more to life than efficiency).
I agree with the general thrust of this post but I have to say that The Efficiency Expert (released under the title Spotswood in most countries) is one of the funniest films I have ever seen - probably an acquired taste though. I must have seen it twenty times over the years and it really is brilliant.
Old 09-10-12, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's also a hell of a lot more media available now then in earlier years. You used to get a handful of movies in the theater and 10 or so channels on TV. Now you've got new movies every week, hundreds of TV channels, video games on multiple consoles, and the internet. Everything is spreading out more thinly.
Old 09-10-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Even though I've got a 50 inch TV and a 100 inch projection screen, I still saw pretty much every blockbuster this summer and, aside from disappointment in both The Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises, I had a good experience.

I mostly go because I like seeing something new. My wife and I enjoy going together, and if she's not into a particular movie I have no problems going by myself. I never have bad experiences in the theater, so it's tough for me to sympathize.

That said, people are spending too much money to make movies like Oogieloves. I saw the trailer and thought it was a parody, like the Chipmunks were going to bust in at any moment or something. That kind of stuff needs to get curbed a little sooner.