Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rocketeers -- sequel/reboot

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Rocketeers -- sequel/reboot

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: The Rocketeers -- sequel/reboot

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Which just makes my point - it was almost impossible for a white woman to become a pilot at all, and for a black woman (fighting racism AND sexism among those in charge of who is allowed to learn how to fly) it was, for almost every one who tried, not possible to get past those barriers
Nice backpedaling. Trump much?
Old 07-29-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

OK, fair enough. A handful of them did exist.

Still pretty rare, and still statistically insignificant, but historically very significant so I do stand corrected.

It's going to be damned hard for the writers, producers, and directors to pull this off without it seeming like an agenda driven, politically correct, social justice motivated movie rather than just solid storytelling.

If they can pull that off then they will have earned a lot of respect. It won't be easy.
Old 07-29-16, 09:54 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Old 07-29-16, 10:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I never expect my entertainment to be historically accurate, either "real" history or perceived. It keeps things much more fun and less stressful.
Old 07-29-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
...have to be believable.

Will The Rocketeers be believable? I don't know. We'll see.

I just love the original (it's one of my all time favorite movies), and I hate when Hollywood makes changes just for the sake of making changes (as opposed to making changes to improve the story). I firmly believe in the old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," philosophy. The Rocketeer wasn't broken. At all.
Old 07-29-16, 10:22 AM

I just love the original (it's one of my all time favorite movies), and I hate when Hollywood makes changes just for the sake of making changes (as opposed to making changes to improve the story). I firmly believe in the old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," philosophy.
So every film should be silent, black & white, and full of racism.
Old 07-29-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Gender sure, but ethnicity...I disagree. Why not the best screen test?
Because the movie is set in 1946. If they write a script then decide a black actress is best for the lead, they'd have to go back and do a complete rewrite from the ground up because every aspect of the story would change. This is the sorta decision you make at the beginning, because it dictates every aspect of what you're doing.

(Besides, do we really need a casting session for this? The moment I read "black female Rocketeer," only one name came to mind -- Rosario Dawson.)

Here's the thing, this sequel/reboot has entered the Wild Wild West territory. "History be damned, reality be damned, we're going to change the character the way we want to change it, regardless of how historically ludicrous that would be!"
We're talking about a film series where the Nazis planned to invade America via jet pack, a zeppelin exploded over Los Angeles, and a Erroll Flynn expy truncated the Hollywoodland sign a full decade before it was changed in real life. But a black woman with a rocket pack, that's crazy talk!

Just like James West could never have been a black man in the 1870's or 1880's (a black man trying to arrest white men back then would have eventually been shot or lynched, regardless of his authority - as wrong as that would be, a black lawman of any kind, federal, state, or local, just wouldn't have been accepted),
Bass Reeves says, "Hey."

you can't have your main character be a black female pilot in the 1940s! Such a thing never existed. It wasn't fair, it wasn't right, but that was reality.

The politically correct social justice crowd in Hollywood is out of touch with history. Or they think they can re-write it.
I assume you were equally outraged by The Gods of Egypt, Noah, and every movie that's ever had a white dude play Jesus.
Old 07-29-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I assume you were equally outraged by The Gods of Egypt, Noah, and every movie that's ever had a white dude play Jesus.
I was outraged that Gods of Egypt was apparently such an awful movie...
Old 07-29-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
So every film should be silent, black & white, and full of racism.
No, but movies that are great don't need to be significantly changed when they're rebooted.

Silent movies were broken - you couldn't hear the actors talk. B&W movies were broken - you couldn't see the colors. Movies filled with racism were broken as that kind of thing is not just unacceptable, but inhumane.

You can make a silent movie as an artistic choice, or a black & white movie, but that's not changing an existing character or story, it's part of creating a new one.

Nice try, though.
Old 07-29-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
...have to be believable.

Will The Rocketeers be believable? I don't know. We'll see.

I just love the original (it's one of my all time favorite movies), and I hate when Hollywood makes changes just for the sake of making changes (as opposed to making changes to improve the story). I firmly believe in the old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," philosophy. The Rocketeer wasn't broken. At all.
No they don't. To counter that thought, every action hero ever. The summer's biggest movie is about a 100-year-old frozen soldier who wears a flag fighting a billionaire in a mech suit, teamed up with a guy who shrinks and a teenager who is part spider.

That's insane, but the writing and acting make people buy it. Black female pilot doesn't involve suspending anything close to the same level of disbelief.
Old 07-29-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Silent movies were broken - you couldn't hear the actors talk. B&W movies were broken - you couldn't see the colors.
And this is where you lose all credibility as a film connoisseur.
Old 07-29-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
And this is where you lose all credibility as a film connoisseur.
I didn't say they were bad. At all. I love B&W movies - but you can't see the color, so from a TECHNICAL standpoint they were incomplete.

But you go on with your bad self and try to make this personal. Attack the messenger kind of thing...
Old 07-29-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't say they were bad. At all. I love B&W movies - but you can't see the color, so from a TECHNICAL standpoint they were incomplete.
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance is incomplete? Schindler's List? The Man Who Wasn't There? All black and white films shot by directors who had the option of using color. They chose B&W because they believed it was aesthetically superior for what they wanted to accomplish. Calling it "technically" inferior is nonsense.
Old 07-29-16, 11:54 AM

No, but movies that are great don't need to be significantly changed when they're rebooted.

Silent movies were broken - you couldn't hear the actors talk. B&W movies were broken - you couldn't see the colors. Movies filled with racism were broken as that kind of thing is not just unacceptable, but inhumane.

You can make a silent movie as an artistic choice, or a black & white movie, but that's not changing an existing character or story, it's part of creating a new one.

Nice try, though.
They're recasting a human role with another human; race and sex shouldn't matter.
Old 07-29-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

They're recasting a human role with another human; race and sex shouldn't matter.
I think we all know Rocket Dog is next. Then the outrage will come.
Old 07-29-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If you want to make a movie about a female African-American pilot, good on you. But you don't have to call it Rocketeer. Can you imagine the outrage if they remade, say Shaft, with a white actor?
Old 07-29-16, 12:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Gender sure, but ethnicity...I disagree. Why not the best screen test? I believe JJ Abrams really wanted to cast a person of color for Finn, but I also believe Boyega gave the legitimate best screen test. It was never proclaimed from the mountaintop that this character shall be a person of color...at least they had the business sense to not say that.
How often do you think true color blind casting happens in Hollywood? Unless someone like Will Smith or Dwayne Johnson shows an interest in a role, and that role hasn't specifically been written for a particular minority, it's going to go to a white person. Same with gender, how often do you think Hollywood casts a woman in a lead role that isn't specifically written for a woman? The only one I can think of is Alien, Ripley was originally written as a man.

The fact is that currently in Hollywood, if these things aren't consciously decided, the chance of the role going to a minority is slim to none.

As for B5Erik's nonsense, I cannot believe that someone is genuinely trying to manufacture outrage over this. I assumed The Rocketeer would be an obscure enough property that no one would freak out over it, but clearly I was wrong.

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
If you want to make a movie about a female African-American pilot, good on you. But you don't have to call it Rocketeer. Can you imagine the outrage if they remade, say Shaft, with a white actor?
Shaft's race is an integral part of the character. Changing his race would make him just another generic detective. What about The Rocketeer requires that the character be white?
Old 07-29-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the original. Saw it in theaters when I was 8. Ahh, those were the days.

Not sure about a reboot. But it could work out.
Old 07-29-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Not only that, but this film features the original Rocketeer (but I assume not the original actor, he'd be too old) mentoring this new Rocketeer. Wasn't that one of the things the "it's not because I'm a sexist" people were saying would have made the Ghostbusters remake acceptable? She's not replacing him, she's carrying on his legacy.
Old 07-29-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It absolutely should not. But, apparently it did matter to the filmmakers. The only question is, why?

It could be that the story led to the choice. And that would be fine. But, it could also be that they wanted to make a social engineering statement. And that would be anything BUT fine.

Unfortunately, there is insufficient information in the announcement to know which of those scenarios is correct. And, while there are some who are willing to give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt, there are many who, based on past history, are skeptical of these choices.
Old 07-29-16, 12:58 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Not only that, but this film features the original Rocketeer (but I assume not the original actor, he'd be too old) mentoring this new Rocketeer. Wasn't that one of the things the "it's not because I'm a sexist" people were saying would have made the Ghostbusters remake acceptable? She's not replacing him, she's carrying on his legacy.
Sounds like Secord has Luke Skywalkered and disappeared, and the new Rocketeer has to find him. But yes, it's not a recast, nor is it a reboot since it is actually a sequel.

Originally Posted by RoboDad
It absolutely should not. But, apparently it did matter to the filmmakers. The only question is, why?

It could be that the story led to the choice. And that would be fine. But, it could also be that they wanted to make a social engineering statement. And that would be anything BUT fine.

Unfortunately, there is insufficient information in the announcement to know which of those scenarios is correct. And, while there are some who are willing to give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt, there are many who, based on past history, are skeptical of these choices.
So if you're agreeing that race and gender shouldn't matter, then why does it matter if the filmmakers decided there aren't enough lead roles for minorities and chose to make the lead of this movie a minority as a result? Why is that an invalid reason? It's not like this is Othello, where the race of the lead is a major component of the story.
Old 07-29-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
So if you're agreeing that race and gender shouldn't matter, then why does it matter if the filmmakers decided there aren't enough lead roles for minorities and chose to make the lead of this movie a minority as a result? Why is that an invalid reason? It's not like this is Othello, where the race of the lead is a major component of the story.
Because that is a horrible reason to do anything. You can never undo what was done in the past. All you can do is do the right thing (which is to be completely colorblind) going forward. IF this was a colorblind decision, then I'm all for it. If not, then I'm really not that interested.
Old 07-29-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

It's an outrage that there's absolutely no other source material whatsoever -- nothing published, anywhere, ever, not even real life histories like the ones linked throughout this thread (oops, shhh) -- created by black people that could be made into new, potentially popular, even franchisable movies about black characters played by our unquestionably talented black actors (or Asian-Americans actors, and so on) except those conveniently already famous ones that were originally created eons ago largely by white people that became movies and franchises about white characters played by white people (and enjoyed by people from all ethnicities, for shame). It's such a barren wasteland out there for source material, what else is a minority group or the Hollywood executives pandering to them to do?
Old 07-29-16, 01:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Because that is a horrible reason to do anything. You can never undo what was done in the past. All you can do is do the right thing (which is to be completely colorblind) going forward. IF this was a colorblind decision, then I'm all for it. If not, then I'm really not that interested.
Why is that a horrible decision? I already discussed "true colorblind" casting in an earlier post, it almost never happens. Why is it so important that filmmakers not have any ideological reasons behind their decisions? Should films not be political, not have viewpoints? Why exactly is it so offensive and horrible to make a conscious decision to cast a black woman in this role? Why is it so offensive and horrible that the filmmakers decided in advance that they want to cast a black woman in this role? Surely you're not going to argue that this takes away roles from qualified white male actors, right?

Originally Posted by Brian T
It's an outrage that there's absolutely no other source material whatsoever -- nothing published, anywhere, ever, not even real life histories like the ones linked throughout this thre--oops -- created by black people that could be made into new, potentially popular, even franchisable movies about black characters played by our finest black actors (or Asian-Americans actors, and so on) except those conveniently already famous ones that were originally created eons ago largely by white people that became movies and franchises (enjoyed by people from all ethnicities, for shame) about white characters played by white people. It's such a barren wasteland out there for source material, what else is a minority group or the Hollywood executives pandering to them to do?
Franchises are easier to sell to the public. They're a known quantity. If it were just as easy to have a hit with an unknown property as it is with a franchise, we'd see a lot more original movies.

And even if that were the case, I ask again what is wrong with casting minorities in established franchises? Because right about now it's sounding like the reason people liked these franchises is because the stars were white and male. And I know that isn't the reason, but we go through similar arguments every time a decision like this is made, so it's starting to come off that way.
Old 07-29-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Sounds like Secord has Luke Skywalkered and disappeared, and the new Rocketeer has to find him. But yes, it's not a recast, nor is it a reboot since it is actually a sequel.
A sequel without Cliff Secord, from what I've read so far. He was a huge part if why I love the original.

For me it is a matter of stretching credibility too far. If it were set today, or even in the 1970s, I'd have zero problems with the concept. But they're taking an unlikely scenario and making it even more unlikely - and not because it makes for a better story, but rather because they have an agenda and want to start meeting self imposed quotas.

I can't wait for Wonder Woman, and am really hoping to see a Black Widow movie. I am also really looking forward to Black Panther as well. Original projects with diversity.

But as we saw with Ghostbusters, going gender bender concept first, script second doesn't make for a good movie. This concept doesn't make for a better story, just a more politically correct one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.