Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Uma Thurman was robbed of an Oscar nom for best supporting actress.
Old 12-16-15, 09:03 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Originally Posted by inri222
Uma Thurman was robbed of an Oscar nom for best supporting actress.
Just a guess, but I think the Academy was skittish to nominate a film called Nymphomaniac. Her performance was very memorable and one of the best in the whole film, but maybe her very limited screen time was also a factor.
Old 12-17-15, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Over the weekend, finally got around to watching this on Netflix (all 5 and a half hours in one setting). Certainly a movie-watching experience. Indulgent, wearisome and pretentious at times (though not unexpected coming from LvT). But a number of striking moments and performances that make the whole thing well worth the time investment. LvT can certainly be funny, in a dark twisted way, in his movies and that certainly shows up here a few times. And LvT has to be trolling the audience with that ending, right?

The biggest negative for me was the terrible casting of Shia LaBeouf. The accent isn't too bad, but for a character that supposedly elicits decades-spanning obsession for the main character the guy comes across like a dullard. Christian Slater's British accent was worse, but at least he managed to give a performance with feeling.
Has Spielberg's pet actually been good in anything?
Old 12-17-15, 03:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I just recently got around to watching him in the 2005 release The Greatest Game Ever Played. He's pretty good in that, and a decent movie, though a little hokey at times (what sports movie isn't at times?). I personally think he's not that bad of an actor, he just kind of picks annoying roles. I thought he gave a good performance in Nymphomaniac.
Old 12-17-15, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He was good in Lawless and Fury. Though I didn't like the type of character he played in Lawless.
Old 12-17-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Just a guess, but I think the Academy was skittish to nominate a film called Nymphomaniac. Her performance was very memorable and one of the best in the whole film, but maybe her very limited screen time was also a factor.
I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the subject matter of the film than the length of the performance. There have been performances with 5 minutes of screen time that have been nominated.
Old 12-17-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd

Charlie Countryman was pretty cool.