Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which film did you like more?
The Avengers
49.30%
The Dark Knight Rises
50.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Same here. I am amazed when I hear that people cried at the end of TDKR. Cried? Really?
Yes, really.

Myself included.
Old 07-24-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a lot of folks are choosing TDKR because it's part of the Batman trilogy, not because it stands alone as a better movie.

I picked Avengers because the only laughing I heard in that movie was at the jokes. During TDKR, I heard snickering, giggling, and one out loud "Come on!", during supposedly dramatic scenes.
Old 07-24-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I came near tears towards the end of TDKR.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Seems like a lot of folks are choosing TDKR because it's part of the Batman trilogy, not because it stands alone as a better movie.
Can't speak for others, but I chose TDKR because I enjoyed it the first time more and looking forward to rewatches of TDKR more than The Avengers. Keep in mind, I love both and while I think each has its strengths and minor weaknesses, I overlook them because I go to the movies purely for entertainment and I enjoyed the hell out of my 2.5 hours with both.
Old 07-24-12, 10:07 PM
Banned

I read through this entire thread and I didn't see anyone state they chose TDKR because of the trilogy. People stated that this is a great finale to a great trilogy which is true but no one stated they voted for TDKR because it's part of the trilogy. Nice way of trying to twist it but no.
Old 07-24-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Both great films, very successful for what they were going for. Emotionally, dramatically, Dark Knight aimed for a more mature tonality... so it gets the nod imo. Seeing Hulk smash people was fun, but it's not exactly elevating the film much.

As others have said, the more appropriate comparison might be Avengers 3....which, despite our wishful thinking, most likely will not include Downey or Whedon.
Old 07-24-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Jurassic Park over Schindler's List, easily.
What do you choose out of the following:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009) vs. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) vs. DVD Talk forum member Dragon Tattoo?
Old 07-24-12, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DVD Talk forum member Dragon Tattoo. He's much funnier than either movie despite taking himself far more seriously.
Old 07-24-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 677 Likes on 526 Posts

Wouldn't a better poll be TDKR vs. TDKXXX?
Old 07-24-12, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Both great films, very successful for what they were going for. Emotionally, dramatically, Dark Knight aimed for a more mature tonality... so it gets the nod imo. Seeing Hulk smash people was fun, but it's not exactly elevating the film much.

As others have said, the more appropriate comparison might be Avengers 3....which, despite our wishful thinking, most likely will not include Downey or Whedon.
No it's not you can't do that you can only compare TDKR to the Avengers.
Old 07-25-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more appropriate comparison would have been Avengers 3? Really? What was I thinking?

The poll was pretty straight forward. Sure the movies are tonally different, but both are wildly popular, critically acclaimed, summer 2012 comic book movies. I simply asked which you liked more, but of course the usual suspects began frothing at the mouth...and here we are.

It's pretty fun and entirely predictable watching some of you completely melt down over this subject matter.
Old 07-25-12, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The more appropriate comparison would have been Avengers 3? Really? What was I thinking?

The poll was pretty straight forward. Sure the movies are tonally different, but both are wildly popular, critically acclaimed, summer 2012 comic book movies. I simply asked which you liked more, but of course the usual suspects began frothing at the mouth...and here we are.

It's pretty fun and entirely predictable watching some of you completely melt down over this subject matter.
You miss the point like so many Avengers fans. Comparing a 1st movie and 3rd movie isn't really the best comparison. The Avengers needs to prove itself over multiple films and not just one breakout film. You can't tell me that makes sense to compare these two when you really think about it. Obviously others agree with this point so it is appropriate to bring it up. Comparing these two movies in general is even a stretch because they aren't close to being alike. As for creating this poll I would ask what were you trying to accomplish in the first place.
Old 07-25-12, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy
You miss the point like so many Avengers fans. Comparing a 1st movie and 3rd movie isn't really the best comparison. The Avengers needs to prove itself over multiple films and not just one breakout film. You can't tell me that makes sense to compare these two when you really think about it. Obviously others agree with this point so it is appropriate to bring it up. Comparing these two movies in general is even a stretch because they aren't close to being alike. As for creating this poll I would ask what were you trying to accomplish in the first place.
Why did I create this poll? Evidently to see which film people liked better.

If forum members don't think this is a fair comparison, or can't decide on a favorite, they could easily sit this one out.

I gave my reasons as to why I think this is an interesting poll. Lots of people have responded civilly and there's been some interesting discourse.

Others of course have been ranting on like lunatics, which of course is expected and interesting in it's own right.
Old 07-25-12, 02:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Why did I create this poll? Evidently to see which film people liked better.
Evidently? You're unsure as to why you created your own poll?

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 07-25-12 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 02:29 AM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts

Agreed. No clue why people could like both movies. Amazing.

Edit: Nice post edit , are you and bootsy the same person? I've always hated the "fanboy"ism word, but you guys really take that to extreme.

Last edited by The Cow; 07-25-12 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 06:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
Edit: Nice post edit , are you and bootsy the same person? I've always hated the "fanboy"ism word, but you guys really take that to extreme.
If this is "extreme" for you, you clearly don't frequent many forums other than DVDTalk.
Old 07-25-12, 07:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow

Are you and JumpCutz or Jules Winfield or anyone that prefers the Avengers the same person. Jeez see how easy that was and how ridiculous you sound.

So sick of people using the word 'fanboy'. Most overused and misused word on message boards taking the place of 'overrated'. Evidently it ONLY applies to people that are fans of Nolan or TDKR and no way applies to people who prefer The Avengers. There is no way they can be 'fanboys'
Old 07-25-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I picked Avengers because the only laughing I heard in that movie was at the jokes. During TDKR, I heard snickering, giggling, and one out loud "Come on!", during supposedly dramatic scenes.
I need to see TDKR so I can finally weigh in on this, but I find it hard to believe the only laughing in Avengers was at jokes. I had a certain sick satisfaction at how terrible the beginning and all the off planet scenes were. My anticipation for TDKR isn't all that high either though. Especially after seeing how many people put the two movies on the same level.
Old 07-25-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bootsy and Dragon Tattoo, there can be only one. Go at it and report back here.
Old 07-25-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I'm gonna put $20 on Dragon Tattoo.
Old 07-25-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, people are complaining about the existence of the poll? It seemed inevitable that the comparison was going to be made. Sheesh, people are uppity.
Old 07-25-12, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by arminius
Old 07-25-12, 09:39 AM
Banned

I love how this ridiculous poll has been neck and neck ever since it was created.
Old 07-25-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Avengers was much better than I thought it would be, but it didn't really do anything beyond its source material, and frankly, some of that source material is just silly.

Other than a few quibbles that don't really matter, Dark Knight Rises met my expectations and closed out an amazing trilogy.

Voted for Dark Knight, and it's not close.
Old 07-25-12, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I love how this ridiculous poll has been neck and neck ever since it was created.
We can't have our posts so close together with us being the same person and all. We need to at least have 5 posts between each of our posts to make it look legit.
Old 07-25-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is Dragon Tattoo Nolan himself? He seems to be fighting way too much for TDKR.

For me, Avengers by a long shot. While it was good, I felt TDKR was too long to be honest.

Now The Avengers vs TDK, that's a different story all together and a much harder choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.