Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight or The Empire Strikes Back?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight or The Empire Strikes Back?
The Dark Knight
34.34%
The Empire Strikes Back
61.62%
The Dark Twikoff Streaks Black
4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight or The Empire Strikes Back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight or The Empire Strikes Back?

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I'm not sure which is worse, your profound arrogance or your monumental stupidity. Welcome to ignore.
Old 07-22-12, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
The truth isn't trolling. Geriatrics love ESB. It's not like that's a fucking secret.
Dude give it up already. This has nothing to do with age. Both movies are freaking great. No one is saying TDK sucks, the people that voted for ESB just like it a little better. Those same 'geriatics' as you put could have a completely different opinion if you did this poll months or years from now. If you did a poll on the better trilogy I would probably vote for the Batman trilogy over SW trilogy mainly because I'm not a big fan of ROTJ and am a huge fan of all three in the Batman trilogy.
Old 07-22-12, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bootsy
Dude give it up already. This has nothing to do with age.
That's just sheer ignorance. Ask anyone from my generation whether they prefer TDK or ESB and nine times out of ten you'll hear TDK. I have one friend who would say ESB and that's just because he's a massive Star Wars nerd (buys the toys and shit). Just based on the fact that its less geeky to like TDK as compared to Star Wars means TDK would in all likelihood win.

Age has everything to do with it. There's a poll going on like this in reddit's movie forum right now and the Batman films are winning without it even being a contest.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Dragon Tattoo, you keep harping on age. Well let me tell you, your age shows, and because of the movie you voted for.
I know.
Old 07-22-12, 10:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dragon Tattoo, you keep harping on age. Well let me tell you, your age shows, and not because of the movie you voted for.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-23-12 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-22-12, 11:15 PM
Banned

That's just sheer ignorance. Ask anyone from my generation whether they prefer TDK or ESB and nine times out of ten you'll hear TDK. I have one friend who would say ESB and that's just because he's a massive Star Wars nerd (buys the toys and shit). Just based on the fact that its less geeky to like TDK as compared to Star Wars means TDK would in all likelihood win.

Age has everything to do with it. There's a poll going on like this in reddit's movie forum right now and the Batman films are winning without it even being a contest.

I know.
On a side note, I've never seen a person quote a post BEFORE the actual post. I might need Dragon to help me pick the next lottery numbers.
Old 07-22-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well let me tell you, your age shows, and because of the movie you voted for.
So by your reasoning anyone "older" could not possibly choose The Dark Knight over The Empire Strikes Back.

How old are you? Not asking out of some sarcasm or insult, I want to know because you obviously think it matters.

I'm 30, I'll turn 31 in September.

I chose The Dark Knight and I don't need my reasons for that to be age-based, except I'm worn out, annoyed by, and just plain bored by Star Wars as a whole.

Funny considering the options are a comic book superhero movie and a science fiction movie with fantasy creatures and spaceships.

I prefer a Batman film to a Star Wars film. Big fucking deal.

I don't subscribe to the belief that something older is by default better, and I'm not comparing the two by saying that, it's just that ALL movies that are older are considered better no matter what the movie is. Sounds like nostalgic nonsense to me, but perhaps I'm too young to understand.

These films have nothing to do with each other beyond being part two of three, so comparing them is silly (to me) anyway.

I just know which one I prefer to watch more and get more out of. That's as far as it goes for me.
Old 07-22-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted batman, because I think it's a better film.

I think the films are aimed at two completely different audiences. Stars Wars can be compared with INDY, not the Godfather. Nothing to do with the quality. Batman is a character loved by children, but the films are very mature and while the first two Star Wars films are very enjoyable, it's more of an "all ages" affair. That and I can't help but smell the stench of EVERYTHING else SW when watching ESB, which I never do. I also never watch TDK. I saw it about 15 times in 2008 and don't think i'll visit it anytime soon.
Old 07-22-12, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts

The truth isn't trolling. Geriatrics love ESB. It's not like that's a fucking secret.
That's just ignorance on your part. Not a secret.
Old 07-23-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I'm turning 30 soon, most of my friends would say ESB is easily the better movie, I disagree with that. Of course I didn't see Star Wars until I was older so it doesn't have any kind of nostalgic connection for me (my folks weren't into movies until I was 18 and introduced them to a slew of them).

ESB isn't a bad movie but I find myself a touch impatient with it and the original trilogy as a whole (RotJ I find unwatchable, the original and ESB I find to be good movies), I find TDK to be watchable from any single frame through to the end, even though I still prefer Batman Begins overall.

Opinions are assholes. (not "like assholes", just flat out assholes.)
Old 07-23-12, 12:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
So by your reasoning anyone "older" could not possibly choose The Dark Knight over The Empire Strikes Back.

How old are you? Not asking out of some sarcasm or insult, I want to know because you obviously think it matters.

I chose The Dark Knight and I don't need my reasons for that to be age-based, except I'm worn out, annoyed by, and just plain bored by Star Wars as a whole.

Funny considering the options are a comic book superhero movie and a science fiction movie with fantasy creatures and spaceships.

I don't subscribe to the belief that something older is by default better, and I'm not comparing the two by saying that, it's just that ALL movies that are older are considered better no matter what the movie is. Sounds like nostalgic nonsense to me, but perhaps I'm too young to understand.

These films have nothing to do with each other beyond being part two of three, so comparing them is silly (to me) anyway.

I just know which one I prefer to watch more and get more out of. That's as far as it goes for me.
Actually, what you are seeing is not a diatribe against new things in favor of old, but rather the effect of missing one vital word in a sentence.

I amended my original post.
Old 07-23-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Actually, what you are seeing is not a diatribe against new things in favor of old, but rather the effect of missing one vital word in a sentence.

I amended my original post.
vital is almost an understatement
Old 07-23-12, 12:45 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harken back to their roots: Flash Gordon or The Shadow?

Flash Gordon for me.
Old 07-23-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

Me too.
Old 07-23-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
I could be wrong, but I feel like generally the older crowd on this site will pretty much all vote for Empire Strikes Back while the younger group will vote for TDK.

Personally, I saw Empire Strikes Back for the first time this year (entire original Star Wars trilogy actually). While I loved this movie (gave it 9/10), The Dark Knight is arguably my favorite movie of all time and doesn't get old for me.

Either way, both go down in history as two of the greatest, most monumental films of all time in my opinion.
I respect that it is your opinion, but no they are not monumental films of all time. IMHO of course.
Old 07-23-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, you said the exact same thing I did. Preferences are often (always) influenced by emotion, and thus the shittiest children's movie can be seen as a better movie than an award-winner because someone "grew up with it".
I didn't say the same thing you did. My post didn't sound condescending and snotty. I just said thy prefer it not all that other shit you added. This proves that you live in your own world where you look in the mirror and masturbate to your own image.
Old 07-23-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that any surprise? This forum's main demographic is old people who were actually alive when Star Wars came out or grew up with it who are voting out of nostalgia...
I find that amusing since my view has long been that DVD Talk denizens are primarily young males and the views on movies here are highly skewed toward the young and male. I expect that Jim Rochester has noticed the same thing. For the record, I saw ESB as an adult; no childhood memories nostalgia for me. But that certainly does make me a "geriatric" by your standards. And you are a child by mine.
Old 07-23-12, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dragon Tattoo, how old are you?

on topic: ESB is better on just a technical level as well. And while, again, I prefer TDK cuz I love Batman...ESB is just..simply better. TDK has bigger flaws than ESB.
Old 07-23-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Character motivation and behavior (even down to the background characters) I find much more believable and consistent in the more overtly fantastical ESB than the 'grounded in realism' TDK.
And if the characters don't behave in a realistic fashion (like ROTJ or TDK), I mentally check out of the film and have a hard time caring about what happens since so much then becomes predicated on bullshit.

So ESB by a good length.