Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Just when I give you credit for liking Inception more than Batman Begins, you take two steps back.
Old 07-23-12, 07:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

Joss Whedon knows how to pander, I'll give him that. He's almost as good as Michael Bay.
Obvious troll is obvious.
Old 07-23-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

What the heck is xage's deal that he has to post that in every thread?
Old 07-23-12, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Obvious troll is obvious.
Yes, because anyone who doesn't love The Avengers is a troll.

Other than Thor, I don't like the Marvel movies. I don't think they're well directed or well-made, because Marvel obviously hires directors based on how much they will cost, and it shows in every single one of their films, other than, unsurprisingly, the Branagh-directed Thor.

Joss Whedon has very little talent as a director, and frankly, I've never seen anyone convincingly argue otherwise. The Avengers looks like a TV movie throughout its entire running time, and this is a major detriment to what could've been a good movie.
Old 07-23-12, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by xage
As what I previously posted the final opening weekend cume of $160mil was a result of this :
Mod Note: I sent you a PM warning already. You need to quit this behavior or you will be suspended.
Old 07-23-12, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Yes, because anyone who doesn't love The Avengers is a troll.

Other than Thor, I don't like the Marvel movies. I don't think they're well directed or well-made, because Marvel obviously hires directors based on how much they will cost, and it shows in every single one of their films, other than, unsurprisingly, the Branagh-directed Thor.

Joss Whedon has very little talent as a director, and frankly, I've never seen anyone convincingly argue otherwise. The Avengers looks like a TV movie throughout its entire running time, and this is a major detriment to what could've been a good movie.
You make inflammatory comments to anyone who disagrees with you on just about anything. You toe the troll line frequently. If mods could ignore people you would be on my ignore list. I will do my best not to respond to you in the future.
Old 07-23-12, 08:07 PM
Banned

You make inflammatory comments to anyone who disagrees with you on just about anything. You toe the troll line frequently. If mods could ignore people you would be on my ignore list. I will do my best not to respond to you in the future.
I don't see what's so inflammatory about saying Joss Whedon is a terrible director. I assumed that was an accepted fact.
Old 07-23-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Ted pulls in another $10 million. Up to $180 million. I'm surprised it's done that well.

It'll hit $200 million for sure now.
Old 07-23-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see what's so inflammatory about saying Joss Whedon is a terrible director. I assumed that was an accepted fact.
Reads like a bad case of butthurt to me.
Old 07-23-12, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not a Whedon fan but he's far from a bad director. Whatever criticism I had on his action from Serenity and Firefly. Was not in The Avengers. He improved for sure. Is he amazing? No. Is he pretty good? Yeah. Even better of a writer. I'm not sure what type of direction you wanted for The Avengers but he really fit well w/ it. Character drama, action, etc.
Old 07-23-12, 09:23 PM
Banned

Because he made a better movie?
No. I'll just say this I enjoyed the Avengers but I forgot about a half hour after I saw it or should say I didn't think about it anymore, didn't really discuss with my wife after we saw. TDKR, I'm thinking about today, still talking about it, discussing what certain scenes meant. In order to to make a better movie it needs to leave a lasting affect. The Avengers doesn't have this and never will. Like I said I enjoyed it and will watch it again but it isn't a movie that sticks with me after I watch like TDKR and the entire Batman trilogy.
Old 07-23-12, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not a Whedon fan but he's far from a bad director. Whatever criticism I had on his action from Serenity and Firefly. Was not in The Avengers. He improved for sure. Is he amazing? No. Is he pretty good? Yeah. Even better of a writer. I'm not sure what type of direction you wanted for The Avengers but he really fit well w/ it. Character drama, action, etc.
He's a great writer. I'm not knocking his writing skills. But as director, he lacks an appropriate sense of scale. He may not be a "bad" director, but he's certainly not a great one. Something like The Avengers deserved a director with some genuine talent.

It certainly deserved better than "pretty good", and IMO, I think you're being generous there.
Old 07-23-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I don't think Whedon is a great writer or director, but he fit Avengers decently for what they were aiming for. The movie was brutally corny in a lot of spots and starts off spectacularly bad, but the tone was right and it was lite on its feet.
Old 07-23-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

Pretty sure this was already covered ad nauseam in other threads
Old 07-23-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously, can we never post another picture of that murdering asshole - mentioning his name and posting his picture is only making it worse.

Dark Knight Rises did fine all things considered. I am sure it will have huge second and third weekends, since a lot of people skipped it this weekend due to the tragedy - there isn't much competition next week - The Watch marketing has been a joke and almost non-existent. Step Up 4 will do fine, but the last film limped into profitability, so I'm sure this one won't make a huge splash either. Then Batman will have Total Recall to deal with, but I'm still not sure if enough people are going to care about that one or give it a pass entirely.
Old 07-23-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

It's not. In fact, it's your opinion. You do know your opinions aren't facts, right?

I saw The Avengers 4 times in the theater...which I have never done before. I could never see TDKR again and be perfectly happy. Nothing terribly interesting happens in that movie. Lots of speeches, very little action, hardly any Batman. I thought Avengers was one of the best movies I had ever seen and TDKR was merely okay but should have been better.

Luckily, this is one case where the better movie also wins the box office war. It's too bad Nolan dropped the ball a bit as he could have had a better finish. But I had a feeling TDKR wouldn't take the summer, just based on trailers alone.

Of course, that is my opinion.

Last edited by Draven; 07-23-12 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 11:29 PM
Banned

One thing I'm interested in seeing if and when the Avengers gets to it's 3rd movie if it's still putting up numbers like TDKR. My feelings are it probably won't. I just have a feeling this is as good as the Avengers will get is right now.
Old 07-24-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
One thing I'm interested in seeing if and when the Avengers gets to it's 3rd movie if it's still putting up numbers like TDKR. My feelings are it probably won't. I just have a feeling this is as good as the Avengers will get is right now.
we'll see. Avengers is unlike anything we've seen in the past because you have side movies building up to each entry.
I didn't see the Avengers as the first Avengers movie. I saw it as the climax to Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Incredible Hulk.
The second Avengers movie could function as stand alone , or a vehicle to establish and showcase new characters they want to build separate franchises around, or as here as the pay off to the next round of sequels.
Or any and all of the above.

Whatever way they go I'm sure the third Avengers movie will be the mother of all team mash-ups. I don't think they can keep upping the roster every film and still maintain interest or excitement, so I wouldn't mind seeing the next Avengers movie scale back into a smaller film based around some interesting character conflicts. Then the third film could goes balls out again and bring back the spectacle and ballyhoo.
Old 07-24-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Luckily, this is one case where the better movie also wins the box office war. It's too bad Nolan dropped the ball a bit as he could have had a better finish. But I had a feeling TDKR wouldn't take the summer, just based on trailers alone.
I don't suppose one making (or is that milking?) an extra 20% off of 3D charges had anything to do with it. I admit it - I overestimated you.
Old 07-24-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread makes me wish I liked Avengers more

(Haven't seen TDKR yet, but it seems like for many people The Avengers was THE movie for the year so far.)
Old 07-24-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I don't suppose one making (or is that milking?) an extra 20% off of 3D charges had anything to do with it. I admit it - I overestimated you.
Sure that was a big factor, but I think the movie also had to be good enough to justify those 3D prices long after the opening weekend.
Old 07-24-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
(Haven't seen TDKR yet, but it seems like for many people The Avengers was THE movie for the year so far.)
It's a very good, crowd-pleasing film... I wouldn't say it'll be my fav of the year or anything. But I appreciate the sheer achievement it was putting that kind of a production together. But, in the end you have to take off the comic-book glasses and look at them as actual films.... it's really no comparison, despite what the box office numbers say.
Old 07-24-12, 12:24 AM
Banned by request

I'd say it's the big budget film of the year for me. I've seen several other excellent, smaller films that I wouldn't try to compare to The Avengers.

As for taking off the glasses, I agree. Take off the glasses and there is no comparison. The Avengers is a more cohesive, more enjoyable film.
Old 07-24-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Seriously, can we never post another picture of that murdering asshole - mentioning his name and posting his picture is only making it worse.

Dark Knight Rises did fine all things considered. I am sure it will have huge second and third weekends, since a lot of people skipped it this weekend due to the tragedy - there isn't much competition next week - The Watch marketing has been a joke and almost non-existent. Step Up 4 will do fine, but the last film limped into profitability, so I'm sure this one won't make a huge splash either. Then Batman will have Total Recall to deal with, but I'm still not sure if enough people are going to care about that one or give it a pass entirely.

Got a private screening pass for The Watch tomorrow, but can't go. I'm surprised they're screening it this late in the game.
Old 07-24-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say it's the big budget film of the year for me. I've seen several other excellent, smaller films that I wouldn't try to compare to The Avengers.

As for taking off the glasses, I agree. Take off the glasses and there is no comparison. The Avengers is a more cohesive, more enjoyable film.
I think that's what it ultimately comes down to -- enjoyability. I was actually pretty bored by a good deal of the movie (unless Loki was around, then it was cringe inducing). But that isn't anything particularly new to me, I'm one of those idiots that preferred eXistenZ to The Matrix (and Dark City to both) when they were released.

I also think there's a geek out element to seeing all the Marvel guys on screen together, I thought it was cool how they did it.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-24-12 at 12:50 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.