Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
So let's see of we have this straight:

The disappointing box office of Batman Begins is because people hated Batman & Robin. CHECK

Heath Ledger's death substantially boosted The Dark Knight box office. CHECK

The tragedy in Aurora is causing The Dark Knight Rises to suffer at the box office. CHECK.

Nolan's Batman trilogy: forever unaccountable for its own successes and failures.
Sorry, but the only aspect here I agree with is the 'memorial album' factor of TDK's massive BO.

B&R, along with the three underwhelming over hyped films preceding it, absolutely did affect the BO of Begins. Almost no one outside of die hard Batman fans was interested in seeing the film- until good word of mouth kept coming it. Begins started off slow, but the one of the big stories that summer (in terms of BO) was that the film showed unexpected legs. It was in the theaters much longer than professional forecasters were anticipating based on the opening weekend. It's stature only grew with the reception on home video. Warner was very heartened by it's performance, which is a big reason they gave Nolan so much deference in making TDK.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the lowered BO for TDKR actually was impacted by the shooting. Not for security or saftey reasons, but because of the associated after taste with all the negative publicity at the moment. Given the length of the film and the lack of the Ledger memorial/pop icon villain aspect, I NEVER expected the film to really challenge TDK- no matter how good or satisfying it was on it's own merits. But the shooting no doubt dampened some of the enthusiasm from normal people for seeing a (somewhat violent) downer action film. And if the BO comes in considerably lower than TDK, not just as was expected lower, then a good case could be made the carnage did negatively affect brand perception.

I've never been shy about criticizing Nolan (which his most ardent, uncritical fanboys usually take as a personal affront) but let's keep things in perspective. Sometimes things are out of an artists control.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-21-12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-21-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if TDKR has a healthy second weekend, as the people who might have been frightened this weekend might make it out then. I don't see Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill scaring up that much business unless their movie gets great reviews.
Old 07-21-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
But the shooting no doubt dampened some of the enthusiasm from normal people for seeing a (somewhat violent) downer action film.
To add to that, the film has such a pleasantly upbeat ending to it that people will walk out of it (if they enjoy it) smiling. It's a dark, downbeat film with a happy ending.
Old 07-21-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
To add to that, the film has such a pleasantly upbeat ending to it that people will walk out of it (if they enjoy it) smiling. It's a dark, downbeat film with a happy ending.
Thanks for the minor spoiler
Old 07-21-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Any word if they will revise the numbers down a bit further? My regular showing was about half full, but that could be due to the fact that it was playing on four different screens. From what I've read, almost all IMAX showings are selling out (authentic IMAX).
Old 07-21-12, 04:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Any word if they will revise the numbers down a bit further? My regular showing was about half full, but that could be due to the fact that it was playing on four different screens. From what I've read, almost all IMAX showings are selling out (authentic IMAX).
as they should. I'm trying to disuade a friend from seeing this in 35mm.
Old 07-21-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
bet it was 35mm ...

no but in all honestly what theater isn't playing this? In my neighborhood: AMC Mazza and the Avalon are playing this. one metro stop north at the Regal Bethesda, the Uptown screen and the two IMAX (15/70) screens on the National Mall are as well (the latter three being the most ideal theaters to see this at).
Where'd you see it Giles? DC Air and Space for me.
Old 07-21-12, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wouldn't be surprised if TDKR has a healthy second weekend, as the people who might have been frightened this weekend might make it out then. I don't see Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill scaring up that much business unless their movie gets great reviews.

After effects of this dude?

Old 07-21-12, 07:39 PM
Banned

Can someone stop xage from posting the same thing in every fucking thread?
Old 07-21-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I personally did not see Batman Begins in the theater because of the bad taste B&R left in my mouth. Big mistake by me.

and yes, can xage be suspended or something? It's friggin' annoying
Old 07-21-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Movie theater where i was at had low lines during the day...at night, it was out the door packed
Old 07-21-12, 08:45 PM

In my case, it was 35mm or not at all. IMAX showings are sold out for the immediate future at the only theater I can go to.
Old 07-21-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706
Movie theater where i was at had low lines during the day...at night, it was out the door packed
Clifton Commons? Went to Rockaway yesterday for the 320pm IMAX show and couldn't believe how packed it was. Showed up 35 minutes early and it was a chore for me and my brother to find a decent seat.
Old 07-21-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I personally did not see Batman Begins in the theater because of the bad taste B&R left in my mouth. Big mistake by me.

and yes, can xage be suspended or something? It's friggin' annoying
I saw it on opening weekend and was surprised how empty the place was, but remember telling my friend people could probably care less after Batman and Robin. People were clapping for the movie during the credits though.
Old 07-22-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the incident will help the b.o., this film will play into September, and nothing else good is coming out. Publicity is publicity, not trying to be insensitive.
Old 07-22-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
the incident will help the b.o., this film will play into September, and nothing else good is coming out. Publicity is publicity, not trying to be insensitive.
I have to agree. I can't wait to hear what the drop is the next two weeks. A month ago I heard that they polled public awareness of the movie at around 13-15% of the public. Probably a lot higher now.
Old 07-22-12, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

They're guestimating 165 million for the weekend.
Old 07-22-12, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
If anything, morbid curiosity might set in for viewers who will keep an eye out for a "Gun-Fire" scene that occurs 20 minutes into the movie.
But I've noticed that all the media outlets have only been mentioning, "Joker,Joker,Joker". And he's nowhere to be seen in this movie.

People now have to certainly have applaud Nolan for denying Joker's presence in this installment for good reason.
Old 07-22-12, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Clifton Commons? Went to Rockaway yesterday for the 320pm IMAX show and couldn't believe how packed it was. Showed up 35 minutes early and it was a chore for me and my brother to find a decent seat.
yea clifton.... clifton had barely any lines for the early showings (except imax)... then at 8 pm.. it was around the building packed...
Old 07-22-12, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm confused. Why would you dissuade a friend from seeing this in 35mm? What are you persuading him to see it in? What are the options?
Old 07-22-12, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I take it you're not a Warner Bros. exec or, you know, anyone with a financial stake in the film. Because they certainly weren't happy with $200 million.

But hey we're a bunch of rubes here in this thread and it all seems like a lot. I sure wouldn't scoff at $1,000,000 so I guess that's great box office too!
So, were they so unhappy with the results of Begins that they greenlighted a second movie with a higher budget? That'll definitely show that Nolan and his money making ways!
Old 07-22-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
So, were they so unhappy with the results of Begins that they greenlighted a second movie with a higher budget? That'll definitely show that Nolan and his money making ways!
Well, TDK saw a $35 million budget increase whereas TDKR had a further increase of $65 million, or a full $100 million increase from beginning to end.

Yesterday I was reading a Box Office Mojo article in which a Warner Bros. admits disappointment in the box office while still saying that the opening weekend was enough to greenlight a sequel.

It's just one of those crazy Hollywood accounting things. You can see the budget increase was actually pretty modest compared to the increased budget they provided after TDK was a full-blown hit.

If you look at TDK through the eyes of a cautious-but-optimistic studio trying to squeeze a little more money out BB's performance it's not the craziest thing in the world. You have a film that actually seems smaller in scope (none of the setpieces, for example, are as grand as the climax of the first film, and you have stuff like the boat scene that is essentially an implied setpiece that never has to make good due to the story) and you have the IMAX stuff which could certainly be seen as a pre-3D-boom attempt at milking a little extra money out of ticket buyers using a gimmick.

As far as the villains go the 2nd film also played it extremely safe going from two obscure ones (which I feel hurt the film more than B&R) to two villains included in the two most-successful previous Batman films. Casting-wise Ledger and Eckhart were coming off of acclaimed performances but were still unproven as box office draws and as such were undoubtedly secured for reasonable rates.

I'll always call Batman Begins a box office disappointment because it undeniably was one. I won't call it a bomb or a flop because it wasn't. It was well-received by critics and the people who did see it and by all accounts it's done well on video (though the end-of-the-year sales indicate a similar slow burn, it wasn't, for example, pulling in the kind of sales Star Wars was) and its apparent to me that Warner was simply willing to let Nolan finish what he started, and in doing so they've actually successfully perpetuated the myth of "Batman Begins as blockbuster" which they couldn't spin on the poorly-received but comparably-successful "Superman Returns."
Old 07-22-12, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No 3D and the Colorado shooting....that figure seems about right.
Old 07-22-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

At a very popular northern Virginia movie theater right now, the place is a ghost town. I'm in their "IMAX" theater 15 min out from showtime and it's 20% full. I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up around $150 mil.
Old 07-22-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
New York Times just reported $162 million. But those are still estimates.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.