Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A few more questions in addition as to how Wayne managed to get back to Gotham from so many miles away without any money...

1) In the opening scene, considering the individual bringing a disguised Bane and his henchmen to the CIA guy/Littlefinger was also a henchmen, why didn't they just make-off with Dr. Pavel at that point? He was obviously all they wanted, so why get on to a plane and have to go through all of that elaborate stuff?

2) How do a bunch of malnourished cops get together in such strong force after months of being trapped? Also, how do they look so clean?

3) Why wear all of their uniforms when going through the streets of Gotham? Wouldn't that be like having a bunch of bullseyes on them? Also, why did it seem almost everyone had a gun but chose not to use it?
It's a freaking movie. I don't think I've ever seen a movie get this much scrutiny and every little detail pointed out like TDKR has gone through.
Old 08-04-12, 01:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1) In the opening scene, considering the individual bringing a disguised Bane and his henchmen to the CIA guy/Littlefinger was also a henchmen, why didn't they just make-off with Dr. Pavel at that point? He was obviously all they wanted, so why get on to a plane and have to go through all of that elaborate stuff?
They wanted to fake Pavel's death, which the airplane crash allowed them to do. Ignore the fact that pumping a little bit of Pavel's blood into a dead guy would not result in them ID'ing the dead guy as Pavel.
Old 08-04-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
They wanted to fake Pavel's death, which the airplane crash allowed them to do. Ignore the fact that pumping a little bit of Pavel's blood into a dead guy would not result in them ID'ing the dead guy as Pavel.
Bane also said something to the effect of "we needed to know how much he told you".
Old 08-04-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Why didn't Gordon put the blame of Dent's death on Joker instead of Batman? Would make more sense.
Because he was already in police custody at the time, nobody would have bought it. It also kills the sense of the hero making a sacrifice.
Old 08-04-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

As others have pointed out, they were faking Dr. Pavel's death. Remember later in the film when Bruce is concerned about the clean energy core being weaponized based on a paper written by a doctor, Miranda (Talia) says, "What would you say if I told you that doctor died months ago?"

2) How do a bunch of malnourished cops get together in such strong force after months of being trapped? Also, how do they look so clean?
I paid close attention to this the second time I saw the movie. They don't look like a particularly strong force (aside from their being a lot of them bunched up together) until they really get to the hand-to-hand clash with Bane's forces. Their strength was in numbers and even then, many were lost. Also they're not shown to be particularly clean (lack of beards aside).

3) Why wear all of their uniforms when going through the streets of Gotham? Wouldn't that be like having a bunch of bullseyes on them? Also, why did it seem almost everyone had a gun but chose not to use it?
Why would they take off their uniforms? They weren't doing anything clandestine. They were marching together as a huge group for an obvious assault on Bane's men in order to give Gordon and his small team a chance to get to the core. They wouldn't have been any less suspicious without the uniforms and besides, they didn't want to be.

As for the gun usage, consider the way they were engaging the other men. It was an all-out rush. Some shots were fired at opportune times, but as soon as they got to a mixed crowd of the two sides, firing guns wouldn't have been particularly smart.
Old 08-04-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Bane also said something to the effect of "we needed to know how much he told you".

Well, if they needed to know that, couldn't they have just as easily pulled over to the side of the road in the truck? Bane's an imposing individual, I have a feeling Pavel would have told the truth. If they wanted to fake his death, couldn't they have just done that little blood bit(which someone said wouldn't work) bit in a truck just as easily and sent if off a cliff?
Old 08-04-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look, just stop thinking about it and let Nolan play with his big camera, ok?

Old 08-04-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Well, if they needed to know that, couldn't they have just as easily pulled over to the side of the road in the truck? Bane's an imposing individual, I have a feeling Pavel would have told the truth. If they wanted to fake his death, couldn't they have just done that little blood bit(which someone said wouldn't work) bit in a truck just as easily and sent if off a cliff?
I'm sure there are countless ways they could have faked his death. But the way they chose also made it look like Dr. Pavel died on the watch of the CIA and the U.S. government. Bane seemed to take pleasure in making them look foolish.

Honestly, if you're going to question things at that level, you just shouldn't bother to watch the movie. Do you really need to understand all the factors that went into everything Bane decided to do?
Old 08-04-12, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone made a custom John Blake Nightwing action figure.

http://www.mintconditioncustom.com/c...-knight-rises/

Spoiler for size.
Spoiler:

Old 08-04-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Look, just stop thinking about it and let Nolan play with his big camera, ok?

I want Nolan to play with his big camera on a sci-fi space movie.
Old 08-04-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally saw a matinee today and what a bloated, average way to end the trilogy. I'm shocked so many have given this thing 5 stars. It was going to be tough to follow The Dark Knight, but I thought we'd get something better. There's not much that stands out and the film is very forgettable. Bane is a fairly decent villain, but Catwoman was blah, and so was the big mystery reveal of Talia. Yawn.

The only thing I'll probably remember from this was the first fight between Batman and Bane, which was superb, and it was awesome seeing Crane show up again, albeit briefly. Even though the movie felt like 5 hours, it was still chopped up and jumped around too much. The Avengers was 10x more enjoyable.
Old 08-04-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bootsy
It's a freaking movie. I don't think I've ever seen a movie get this much scrutiny and every little detail pointed out like TDKR has gone through.
Did you read through The Amazing Spider-man thread?
Old 08-04-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Finally saw a matinee today and what a bloated, average way to end the trilogy. I'm shocked so many have given this thing 5 stars. It was going to be tough to follow The Dark Knight, but I thought we'd get something better. There's not much that stands out and the film is very forgettable. Bane is a fairly decent villain, but Catwoman was blah, and so was the big mystery reveal of Talia. Yawn.

The only thing I'll probably remember from this was the first fight between Batman and Bane, which was superb, and it was awesome seeing Crane show up again, albeit briefly. Even though the movie felt like 5 hours, it was still chopped up and jumped around too much. The Avengers was 10x more enjoyable.
Darn, I was hoping TDKR would dethrone Men in Black 3D.

SMH
Old 08-04-12, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Darn, I was hoping TDKR would dethrone Men in Black 3D.

SMH
Old 08-04-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Did you read through The Amazing Spider-man thread?
There were a lot of haters for The Amazing Spider-Man too yes, but it really only seemed like a select few really hated it after they saw it. There were some flaws with it as people obviously have with this film but it doesn't seem like that movie got scrutinized nearly as much.

This thread has gotten pretty ridiculous and seems like a good chunk is just filled with people finding every possible flaw the film has and not letting go or constantly trying to compare it to The Dark Knight or how it doesn't stack up to The Avengers. I'm not one to say the film was perfect but the way some of these posters in here act it's as though this movie should have been an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word and anything less is just unacceptable. It's quite ridiculous.
Old 08-04-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I want Nolan to play with his big camera on a sci-fi space movie.

Oh, yes. I'd love to see what he could do with a solid sci-fi script.
Old 08-04-12, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Someone made a custom John Blake Nightwing action figure.

http://www.mintconditioncustom.com/c...-knight-rises/

Spoiler for size.
Spoiler:

ugly. nice try though.
Old 08-04-12, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm not one to say the film was perfect but the way some of these posters in here act it's as though this movie should have been an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word and anything less is just unacceptable. It's quite ridiculous.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/07So_lJQyqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-04-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree that this film has been quibbled beyond what is the norm...particularly for a superhero movie.

We'll buy a Norse God, a dude in a flying metal suit, enemies from another diminsion, a guy whose weapon is a freaking shield and a Hulk who's character arc is "I'm completely out of control and then completely in control 14 seconds later", but when a guy recovers from a back injury in 5 months, somehow that's a bridge too far.

I loved both movies BTW, just trying to make a point.

I think there were a few things in the movie that were unneccesary from a narrative point of view (Robin and the limp come to mind), but I went along for the ride and enjoyed the entire thing.
Old 08-04-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Agree that this film has been quibbled beyond what is the norm...particularly for a superhero movie.

We'll buy a Norse God, a dude in a flying metal suit, enemies from another diminsion, a guy whose weapon is a freaking shield and a Hulk who's character arc is "I'm completely out of control and then completely in control 14 seconds later", but when a guy recovers from a back injury in 5 months, somehow that's a bridge too far.
I loved both movies BTW, just trying to make a point.

I think there were a few things in the movie that were unneccesary from a narrative point of view (Robin and the limp come to mind), but I went along for the ride and enjoyed the entire thing.
It seems like some people expect this series to be totally or mostly plausible just because Nolan said that his Batman movies take place in a more grounded universe. Some people take that too literally if you ask me and forget that when all is said and done these films still are based on comics and comic book characters. The movies aren't as over the top as some comic book films are but they definitely have moments where the viewer is expected to suspend disbelief.
Old 08-04-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It seems like some people expect this series to be totally or mostly plausible just because Nolan said that his Batman movies take place in a more grounded universe. Some people take that too literally if you ask me and forget that when all is said and done these films still are based on comics and comic book characters. The movies aren't as over the top as some comic book films are but they definitely have moments where the viewer is expected to suspend disbelief.
For me, it's not just the tiny inconsistencies though. It's the general disinterest on Nolan's part this time around. Also, the way that Bruce's redemption feels unearned. It's like, okay, it's time for him to crawl out of the pit now. He hasn't earned it. Earn this, Batman!
Old 08-04-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

FWIW, I really liked this movie overall, and its especially thrilling in IMAX. However, it just seems to have more flaws than the previous two and on its own doesn't hold up that well under major scrutiny. However, it doesn't fall apart nearly as bad as Prometheus.
Old 08-04-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
This happens with most Sequels of popular movie series. Don't you remember the Star Wars Prequels and how they scrutinized? Or the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions and the venom towards those movies? Or XMen:Last Stand, and the hatred towards that too.

This is fairly routine on the internet if you ask me.
Old 08-04-12, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the movies you listed are really bad and deserved to be panned. TDKR is getting very closely scrutinized not because it's bad (it's actually quite good), but because it's the conclusion to an epic trilogy, and also because Nolan has repeatedly talked about how this series takes place in a more grounded world. Also because sometimes in his movies logic takes a back seat to plot necessities and that can be irksome.
Old 08-04-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
This happens with most Sequels of popular movie series. Don't you remember the Star Wars Prequels and how they scrutinized? Or the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions and the venom towards those movies? Or XMen:Last Stand, and the hatred towards that too.

This is fairly routine on the internet if you ask me.
None of those movies deserved the scrutiny because they were all bad. The whole of the Internet had better things to do than to ever argue about those movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.