Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

For the record, I'm not quite as gun-ho seeing "Robin" in a future film, but I would be open for them to continue using John Blake as Batman in a pseudo sequel that would bridge Nolan's world and one that would be more fitting for a JLA movie (or, as brought up, Man of Steel since that's where Warner is starting the set-up).
Old 07-28-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Maybe you should express yourself more clearly?
No one ever gave a shit about Robin in terms of films and whatnot and it seems now that everyone is rallying around the character to make an appearance of some kind in a new feature. Where did the love come from all of a sudden? Comics sure, but in features?

That or Nightwing, which outside of the geeks, hardly anyone knows that that was originally Robin.
Old 07-28-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No one ever gave a shit about Robin in terms of films and whatnot and it seems now that everyone is rallying around the character to make an appearance of some kind in a new feature. Where did the love come from all of a sudden? Comics sure, but in features?

That or Nightwing, which outside of the geeks, hardly anyone knows that that was originally Robin.
I was never a fan of Robin but I like the idea of JGL being Robin/Batman. Those other movie representations sucked, this one didn't.
Old 07-28-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I was never a fan of Robin but I like the idea of JGL being Robin/Batman. Those other movie representations sucked, this one didn't.
And he's not "Robin," because his name is already Robin. He'll be Batman, if that ever comes about, but it won't be in the Nolan-verse. I doubt JGL would even touch the character after TDKR.
Old 07-28-12, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe three films without Robin have made people interested in seeing him again?
Old 07-28-12, 10:08 PM

And he's not "Robin," because his name is already Robin. He'll be Batman, if that ever comes about, but it won't be in the Nolan-verse. I doubt JGL would even touch the character after TDKR.
Yeah, but he kind of was Robin the whole time. I don't expect JGL to come back to the role. I'm just taking it as it was laid out at the end of DKR.
Old 07-28-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Maybe three films without Robin have made people interested in seeing him again?

Ha, wishful thinking or hopeful ignorance.
Old 07-28-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but he kind of was Robin the whole time. I don't expect JGL to come back to the role. I'm just taking it as it was laid out at the end of DKR.

You can see it like that, but he was obviously being groomed to become the next Batman. The only connection Blake has to the Robin character is that his real name was Robin, so he can't be Robin, the character. Folks are having a hard time grasping the concept. And him being Nightwing is even less of a probability.
Old 07-28-12, 10:18 PM

You can see it like that, but he was obviously being groomed to become the next Batman. The only connection Blake has to the Robin character is that his real name was Robin, so he can't be Robin, the character. Folks are having a hard time grasping the concept. And him being Nightwing is even less of a probability.
I'm not trying to start another fight in this thread already littered with fights but...The comics and the movies are two different things. Just because his actual name is Robin doesn't mean that he wasn't basically the Robin character.

As others have said here, Blake was basically an amalgamation of the different Robin characters.
Old 07-28-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think there's been some giant change in opinion of Robin. I think it's always been mixed as far as people wanting to see him or not, and there were a few people here that said they're happy that Nolan didn't want to include the character (or typical incarnation of the character).

Personally, I always thought he was cool after seeing the different incarnations of him in the various animated series (Batman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Young Justice) and as I started reading various Batman comics. I never understood the hate.
Old 07-28-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not trying to start another fight in this thread already littered with fights but...The comics and the movies are two different things. Just because his actual name is Robin doesn't mean that he wasn't basically the Robin character.

As others have said here, Blake was basically an amalgamation of the different Robin characters.
No fight at all here. Robin was just a reference or nod for the fans, but it didn't mean that he was that particular character if Nolan was going to do all of that set-up for Blake to take over as The Batman.

Whatever amalgamation there was about that "Robin" character was not for him to become Robin (that would be redundant as hell), but to become Batman. I'm surprised that people still can't see that.
Old 07-28-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't think there's been some giant change in opinion of Robin. I think it's always been mixed as far as people wanting to see him or not, and there were a few people here that said they're happy that Nolan didn't want to include the character (or typical incarnation of the character).

Personally, I always thought he was cool after seeing the different incarnations of him in the various animated series (Batman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Young Justice) and as I started reading various Batman comics. I never understood the hate.
And he works great in the comics and animated series, depending on who is writing. In the films, not so much.
Old 07-28-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And he works great in the comics and animated series, depending on who is writing. In the films, not so much.
I don't see why he wouldn't work in the films at all. I actually would have had no problems if they included an actual Robin portrayal in the Nolan movies; I'd have loved to see a Tim Drake type do the detective work of discovering Batman's identity. Not a super young "boy wonder" aged kid, but a late teens type wouldn't be ridiculous to me.

As someone that actually thinks Batman Forever is decent, I didn't even hate Chris O'Donnell that much
Old 07-28-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see why he wouldn't work in the films at all. I actually would have had no problems if they included an actual Robin portrayal in the Nolan movies; I'd have loved to see a Tim Drake type do the detective work of discovering Batman's identity. Not a super young "boy wonder" aged kid, but a late teens type wouldn't be ridiculous to me.
And it had already been discussed that there would be no Robin character in the Nolan-verse. Hell, that's one of the main reasons Bale stuck around.

It's all up to the studio if they want to go the Robin route, but they'd be making a mistake if they did, because the casual fan will think that JGL will be coming back or that he's actually Robin. They'll not connect the reference at all.

John Blake aka Robin John Blake = New Batman after TDKR.

They can reboot the thing again, but it would suck.
Old 07-28-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And it had already been discussed that there would be no Robin character in the Nolan-verse. Hell, that's one of the main reasons Bale stuck around.

It's all up to the studio if they want to go the Robin route, but they'd be making a mistake if they did, because the casual fan will think that JGL will be coming back or that he's actually Robin. They'll not connect the reference at all.

John Blake aka Robin John Blake = New Batman after TDKR.

They can reboot the thing again, but it would suck.
Yes, I already acknowledged that Nolan didn't want to include the Robin character. I mentioned that already in my first post that you quoted.

I'm just saying that I could have seen the character fit in the universe without an issue. Or in any Batman film, with some good writing. I'm not referencing the other discussion about Robin John Blake at all. I just don't see why you automatically think the character wouldn't work at all in film.
Old 07-28-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, I already acknowledged that Nolan didn't want to include the Robin character. I mentioned that already in my first post that you quoted.

I'm just saying that I could have seen the character fit in the universe without an issue. Or in any Batman film, with some good writing. I'm not referencing the other discussion about Robin John Blake at all. I just don't see why you automatically think the character wouldn't work at all in film.

I wouldn't give a shit about a sidekick. In the grand scheme of things Robin would be lame in a live action flick, imo. Nightwing cannot headline his own flick, because he's to obscure for the general public.

Get some spot on writers and maybe we can talk about it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

BTW, you liked Batman Forever, so you're disqualified. lol
Old 07-28-12, 10:48 PM

I think that Blake was Nolan's way of putting Robin in his trilogy and yes, I agree it worked.
Old 07-28-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that Blake was Nolan's way of putting Robin in his trilogy and yes, I agree it worked.
It doesn't work that way, because Robin is his real name in the flick and he assumes the Batman identity in the end.

Yeah, Nolan did technically put a character whose real name was Robin, but that was it.

Maybe we need another interview from Nolan that clarifies this whole thing.
Old 07-28-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right. I think it was just a little homage. His name didn't have to be Robin. Nolan just threw that in there for the Hell of it.
Old 07-28-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wouldn't give a shit about a sidekick. In the grand scheme of things Robin would be lame in a live action flick, imo. Nightwing cannot headline his own flick, because he's to obscure for the general public.

Get some spot on writers and maybe we can talk about it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

BTW, you liked Batman Forever, so you're disqualified. lol
I don't see what would automatically make a live action Robin lame Seems like the positive parts that have worked out in the other mediums could certainly work in a movie.
Old 07-28-12, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

As someone that actually thinks Batman Forever is decent, I didn't even hate Chris O'Donnell that much
I agree about O'Donnell, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin both basically sucked but I actually thought O'Donnell was fairly decent as Robin given what he had to work with.
Old 07-28-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 07-28-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous
Old 07-28-12, 11:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Batman Forever IS decent. The problem with the film is the absurd handling of Two Face.
Old 07-28-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Batman Forever IS decent. The problem with the film is the absurd handling of Two Face.
Don't get me started. It's just so laughable and odd that in the "news footage" showing how he got burned and then out of nowhere, in the middle of the day, Batman pops up trying to stop it. What? Was he just sitting around "just in case" something would happen? So lame.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.