Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Gather the children, pop some popcorn, and turn down the lights ... it's that time-honored tradition ... Abob Teff's Random Page (3)3 Thoughts!

"The Bat didn't look like it was designed for Batman ..." It wasn't. Lucius said it was another scrapped military project. In this regard, it makes it work. I didn't like the Bat at first, but it grew on me. (Sure doesn't make a very good toy for the merchandising department.) In the end though, it seemed like a plot contrivance since it played so heavily into the climax. And how the hell did nobody stumble across it or even notice a CAMOUFLAGE tarp on top of a building for five months?

"How did Blake and Bane figure out Bruce is Batman?" This isn't the correct question ... the correct question is how the hell did nobody else figure it out?!" The last time Batman was seen Harvey Dent died and Bruce Wayne went into seclusion. The night Batman shows back up Bruce Wayne hits the town. Nobody? Seriously? I really felt the "Bruce Wayne in seclusion for 8 years" was one of the flimsier plot points that did nothing to serve the film.

Speaking of Blake and his speech ... I thought he was going to reveal he was the kid Batman gave the "periscope" to in BB.

"Clean energy reactor turned into a weapon ..." Spider-Man 2? Iron Man? Meh ... not very original either way.

How did Bruce get back to America? OK, I changed this line a little bit because you are all arguing the wrong point. Many of you are correct in that it isn't important how he got out of the third world country and back here ... we saw in BB that he is very resourceful in those situations. The question you SHOULD be asking is how did he GET INTO Gotham? That's what we want to see!

Marion Cotillard She made a good Talia Al Ghul ... and Anne Hathaway made a very good Selina Kyle ... but I would have liked to see Marion as Selina. Maybe it's just the voice ...

Under normal circumstances, I think many of the problems with TDKR would have been overlooked. However, as a few others have pointed out, Nolan himself set the expectation for these stories to be based in reality. This one violated its own rules numerous times with plot contrivances. Characters were cartoon-stereotypes, actions were not in context, and plot-points became plot-holes. Example: the occupation of Gotham had no impact or resonance, it was just a convenient backdrop. We saw no real hardship on the people, they just went back to their homes like sheep and disappeared. The "rules" changed to fit the needs of the script (police are being hunted down in the streets, yet they roam in packs and live in their own homes ... oh, and they are manning the other side of the bridge!).

An observation: did anybody else think that Bane's plan had already been attempted? Wasn't the Joker trying to turn the city of Gotham on itself? While re-watching TDK I really began to wonder if the Joker wasn't actually an agent of the League of Shadows (possibly unknowingly manipulated) ... he says (although he can't be trusted to tell the truth) that he isn't a planner or a schemer, he's a doer. His path (I'll hold off on saying plan) seems to echo R'as Al Ghul's ... Gotham is corrupt and it will destroy itself with a little prodding. This is further reinforced in TDKR. I understand Nolan's desire to leave the Joker out of this movie, but it was almost a disservice considering how well the plots fit together.

Finally, what a shitty time for Batman to disappear again! So he flew a nuke out over the ocean and "saved" the city ... what about restoring order? Do you think the 99% of Gotham are just going to hand everything back over to the 1%? (Sorry for the "occupy" reference but I couldn't think of another way to illustrate my point.) Crime would be worse than ever as the city tries to rebuild itself!

Considering a NUCLEAR BOMB was just detonated 6 miles off of Gotham coast, yes, I think people will come together to fix the city. They were seconds away from being vaporized.

Then again, I have faith in humanity.
Old 07-25-12, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Just saw it and loved it. I'll keep the comments to a minimum until Thursday night, but y'all are in for one hell of a ride, especially in IMAX.
I've now seen TDKR three times. I like it a lot, although it does have its flaws, and ultimately I prefer TDK and The Avengers. But it's still awesome and goddamn the IMAX footage is so good.
And I don't expect anyone here to follow AV Rev. I was simply pointing out that I did like the movie, and even wrote a review to that extent. But that won't stop me from pointing out its flaws.

P.S. I also think the boat sequence in TDK doesn't work but it's strange to single that out and then praise TDKR, which has even bigger problems.
Old 07-25-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 927 Posts

[QUOTE=DaveyJoe;11322802]Far superior is subjective. This is from one of my posts earlier in the thread:

All I'm saying is that none of the films in the trilogy are perfect, but it seems like TDKR is being held to a much higher standard than TDK was. TDK is a flawed film, but people seem much more willing to overlook those flaws than they are in this instance.[/QUOTE]

The Joker fanboys.
Old 07-25-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

P.S. I also think the boat sequence in TDK doesn't work but it's strange to single that out and then praise TDKR, which has even bigger problems.
I praise both films, I think they're on par with each other. In my original review I cited several problems I had with the film, the biggest being the editing. It's so obvious that a lot was cut out from this movie, and I think it would really benefit from a director's cut. I feel like Nolan was going for a classic David Lean type of epic, but whittled the screen time down far too much. A lot of the supporting characters and sub plots really suffer from this. Juno Temple was so pointless she might as well have been cut all together.

Like I said, I wasn't singling you out, because I actually remembered your positive review. It's just surprising to see such a negative tone here, when TDK was lavished with near unanimous praise upon it's release. Personally I think the films are very close in terms of quality. But I don't understand your rolling smiley face comment when I think you and I are on the same wavelength, we acknowledge flaws in both films, but ultimately really enjoyed them.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I liked TDK, but I didn't love it. It has too many holes and too many lapses in logic for a movie that was supposedly the Heat of superhero movies.

I won't be able to see TDKR until NEXT Wednesday, so I won't be able to comment until then, but that should be interesting. Reactions to TDKR are all over the place...
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Even during the ridiculous Gotham citizens and prisoners on the boats scene?
Come on, what was wrong with that scene? You'd have preferred either boat blow up the other or the Joker blowing both up?
Old 07-25-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Even during the ridiculous Gotham citizens and prisoners on the boats scene?
Not really. Zeus dropping the detonator out the window was a little cheesy. But it pales in comparison to the eye rolling I endured during most of the last chunk of TDKR.

It's mostly the fact that that particular moment is so close to the end of the movie. I had problems with TDKR from the opening scene.
Old 07-25-12, 10:16 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I praise both films, I think they're on par with each other. In my original review I cited several problems I had with the film, the biggest being the editing. It's so obvious that a lot was cut out from this movie, and I think it would really benefit from a director's cut. I feel like Nolan was going for a classic David Lean type of epic, but whittled the screen time down far too much. A lot of the supporting characters and sub plots really suffer from this. Juno Temple was so pointless she might as well have been cut all together.

Like I said, I wasn't singling you out, because I actually remembered your positive review. It's just surprising to see such a negative tone here, when TDK was lavished with near unanimous praise upon it's release. Personally I think the films are very close in terms of quality. But I don't understand your rolling smiley face comment when I think you and I are on the same wavelength, we acknowledge flaws in both films, but ultimately really enjoyed them.
I wasn't making comments about you. I was making comments about one or two other posters who have been very zealous in their defense of this film. Sorry if there was any confusion about that.

And, as I mentioned before, I'd place this one third in terms of quality (TDK first, then BB, then TDKR), so while I wouldn't say we're on the exact same wavelength, we at least know where each one is coming from.
Old 07-25-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Come one, what was wrong with that scene? You'd have preferred either boat blow up the other or the Joker blowing both up?
I'm fine with the outcome, my issue with the 3rd act of The Dark Knight is that it's so incredibly underwhelming compared to what came before it. The movie peaked with the car chase and interrogation scenes, then just kind sputtered on for another 45 minutes. The stuff with Dent at the end was great, but I didn't care for the execution of the sky scraper sequence. The sonar stuff gives me a headache and the fight scenes are pretty weak. I appreciated that TDKR constantly built up towards the final fight between Bane and Batman and the payoff was really something. I suppose I should provide my disclaimer that I love TDK and I think it's up there with BB and TDKR as the best comic book movies I've ever seen.

I wasn't making comments about you. I was making comments about one or two other posters who have been very zealous in their defense of this film. Sorry if there was any confusion about that.

And, as I mentioned before, I'd place this one third in terms of quality (TDK first, then BB, then TDKR), so while I wouldn't say we're on the exact same wavelength, we at least know where each one is coming from.
Fair enough, the posts were coming in pretty rapidly for the past page and a half, so I apologize for any confusion.
Old 07-25-12, 10:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
One thing that has bugged me even though I loved the movie is this:

Spoiler:
How did Bruce recover those pearls after Joe Chill took them from his mom?

It's not a huge deal, but it's something that kind of bugged me...
Selena Kyle was the female reporter who shot Joe Chill and took the pearls off him.
Old 07-25-12, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I liked TDK, but I didn't love it. It has too many holes and too many lapses in logic for a movie that was supposedly the Heat of superhero movies
Well, Heat has at least 100 documented plotholes and lapses in logic, so it would seem that TDK is in good company.
Old 07-25-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plot holes-schmot holes. Mise-en-scene is what's most important!

(Heat is my favorite movie)
Old 07-25-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

One problem I did have with the boat scene: I think throwing the detonator would have been set off with the impact on the water surface.

I guess it'd have been less dramatic if the dude had taken out the batteries first before throwing the detonator.
Old 07-25-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wasn't making comments about you. I was making comments about one or two other posters who have been very zealous in their defense of this film.
Between this thread and the TDKR / Avengers poll thread, I'd make the same assumption about you in being very zealous in your criticism, along with several others here.

Perhaps that's why that defense comes off as so strong, because they're trying to respond in kind.

I've got nothing left to say in this thread because it's about a 90% bitchfest / nitpick that's gone on for 40 pages.

No one has anything of significance to say about this film they enjoy or found interesting but can go paragraph after paragraph on the smallest thing they don't like.

I took issue with that earlier and was accused (as usual) of wanting only good things which wasn't what I was saying at all, I was saying where's the balance?

But whatever.

If I want negativity with no balance of positivity, I've got life offline.
Old 07-25-12, 10:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My expectations for TDKR was much higher than any of the other Batman movies. It amplified the let down feeling. Maybe more viewings and the BD release will soften my opinion of it. For now it's my least favorite in the series.
Old 07-25-12, 10:29 PM
Banned

Wait, so the guys most ardently defending this film, which is full of flaws, are attacking the third act of The Dark Knight, the far superior film?
Based off of what? Because Heath Ledger's Joker. I loved TDK but there is nothing far superior about TDK over TDKR and Begins. Begins is my favorite of the three but people and their uber love for TDK is unbelievable. No wonder people have problems with TDKR when you give so much love to TDK how can anything else stand a chance. My opinions on the trilogy is that they are interchangeable and each can be considered the best of the three but none are far superior over the others.
Old 07-25-12, 10:30 PM
Banned by request

I would say that I'm responding in kind to the people who are defending this at all costs, even to the point of brushing off valid criticisms.

This isn't like the Prometheus thread. I genuinely hated that stupid film. I really like TDKR, but also feel it deserves some amount of criticism.

Then again, I know a lot of people here have the impression that I hate every movie, so maybe I've got that going against me.
Old 07-25-12, 10:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by bootsy
Based off of what? Because Heath Ledger's Joker. I loved TDK but there is nothing far superior about TDK over TDKR and Begins. Begins is my favorite of the three but people and their uber love for TDK is unbelievable. No wonder people have problems with TDKR when you give so much love to TDK how can anything else stand a chance. My opinions on the trilogy is that they are interchangeable and each can be considered the best of the three but none are far superior over the others.
The Joker is an exceptional villain, and Heath Ledger's performance really is mesmerizing. But beyond that, the performances by Eckhart and especially Oldman are top notch (one of my all time favorite Oldman performances, actually), and the ideological conflict between Batman and the Joker stands out to me as being more important than the physical well being of Gotham, which is what Ra's and Bane are trying to destroy. I discussed this earlier when comparing The Joker to Bane as well.

The film does feel like Heat, and it's a very positive comparison. TDKR is messier, more bloated, and with more flaws. So no, it's not just about The Joker for me.
Old 07-25-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Considering a NUCLEAR BOMB was just detonated 6 miles off of Gotham coast, yes, I think people will come together to fix the city. They were seconds away from being vaporized.

Then again, I have faith in humanity.
You have more faith than me ... I don't see anybody giving up what they had recently come across. "Oh look, a mushroom cloud. Sorry Mr. Moneybucks, here is your shit back. No harm, no foul, right?"

However your point made me think a little deeper about one of the fundamental problems with TDKR ...

While many of you criticize the boat scene in TDK, it showed the citizens of Gotham struggling with a moral decision and earning redemption. One of the recurring themes in the series is redemption. In TDKR there was no earned redemption (maybe Selina Kyle, but even that plotline was not fleshed out as well as it should have been). The citizens of Gotham certainly did not earn any redemption ... they cowered in their homes, bought into Bane's plot, looted and pillaged, and did nothing of impact within the confines of our knowledge of the story.
Old 07-25-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
No one has anything of significance to say about this film they enjoy or found interesting but can go paragraph after paragraph on the smallest thing they don't like.
I agree with your post. This is a film that should have people grinning from the entertainment within. It's a shame to see all of the negativity and nitpicking in this thread when the movie is on par with the rest of the franchise. Expectations were a big part of that, I knew TDKR could never live up to the hype that had been building ever since advance reviews of TDK started pouring in. Ledger's performance really elevated that film to cult status and made it untouchable.

Ledger was amazing, that goes without saying but I was always disappointed that he overshadowed everything else about that film. Like I mentioned earlier, one of my favorite scenes was the final scene with Harvey and Gordon's family. That was one of the most intense things I've ever seen in a PG-13 film and I couldn't believe it got by the censors, you don't often see a man threaten a child with a gun in these types of films. The performances by Eckhart and Oldman, and Zimmer's score(Watch the World Burn) are all excellent. Nobody ever talks about scenes like this because they don't feature The Joker.

Some things I loved about TDKR. The comic relief was great. Much better than the previous films. One of my biggest grievances with the previous films were lines like "Nice coat" and "Okay that's not good!" Nothing in TDKR came that close to pulling me out of the film.

The pacing, I've said it before, but for a 2 hour and 45 minute movie this film really breezes along. I saw the movie twice in IMAX in one day(in really uncomfortable chairs) but never felt like the movie started to drag. I really would like to see an extended cut of this film to flesh out certain things that were given the short-shrift in the theatrical cut. Knowing Nolan, this will probably never happen, but it really could make the film better.

TDKR has the best fight scenes of the trilogy. Many would agree that the hand-to-hand fight scenes of the previous films were the weakest part. They finally got them right here. They are coherent and fluid, they don't seem as choreographed as they did in the other movies. Each fight with Batman and Bane is really well done, I love the lack of music in the sewer fight, and the brutality of Bane smashing Batman's face.

This is the most emotional of the trilogy. I was teary-eyed when Alfred left and during the climax of the film, from the moment when Batman kissed Selina to the end credits. Despite the bleak nature of these films, this movie seemed to silence the inner cynic in me and made me feel like a kid again, rooting for Batman and praying that he made it out okay. The final reveal of him in Florence was an incredibly triumphant moment for me.

Nolan actually made me give a shit about one of his love interests. Catwoman and Batman had great chemistry(not all of it loving). From the very first moment they meet, to the final kiss. Nolan has come a long way from that awkward, emotion-less kiss between Bale and Holmes in Batman Begins. I loved the scene where Batman gives her the batpod and she says "You shouldn't have."

The ending. Nolan actually ended a Batman franchise. This trilogy has come so far from the travesty that the Batman movies of the 90s grew to become. Whereas those films existed to sell toys, Nolan wanted to tell a story. For how dark and cynical the films could be at times, he gave us a happy ending that ended on a note of hope. As a foreign film enthusiast, this is one of the few times I'm praising an American film for having a happy ending, but it worked, and was completely in line with the themes of the trilogy.
Old 07-25-12, 11:00 PM

^^Thank you.

Balance is a good thing!

Seems no one wants to talk about all of the thematic, literal and emotional ties to Batman Begins that made it a full-circle story, the hints and callbacks.

Instead it's what, six pages of why they don't like The Bat?

EVERY movie has flaws, but whenever I see "I like that film but it's flawed", well what film doesn't have flaws?

It's more "I like that film but talking up its flaws is fun. Merits are boring"
Old 07-25-12, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Stuff I liked:

Hardy as Bane. Often I forgot it was Hardy under the mask. I do wish they fleshed him out a bit more (and not just with a narration by Talia in the last 15 minutes), but the actual performance was excellent.

The big action set pieces were quite impressive. I did like the Bat, unlike some who found it stretched the bounds of reality too much.

Bale as Wayne. He gave his most emotional performance of all three films and it shows.

Hathaway as Selina Kyle. I liked her character motivation and the way she played it. Plus she looked good in a skintight suit.

The IMAX footage looked so, so good. Wally Pfister should get an academy award for cinematography. The IMAX stuff is immaculate.

The first fight with Bane was really tense.
Old 07-25-12, 11:04 PM
Banned

The Joker is an exceptional villain, and Heath Ledger's performance really is mesmerizing. But beyond that, the performances by Eckhart and especially Oldman are top notch (one of my all time favorite Oldman performances, actually), and the ideological conflict between Batman and the Joker stands out to me as being more important than the physical well being of Gotham, which is what Ra's and Bane are trying to destroy. I discussed this earlier when comparing The Joker to Bane as well.

The film does feel like Heat, and it's a very positive comparison. TDKR is messier, more bloated, and with more flaws. So no, it's not just about The Joker for me.
I can understand. I loved the same things in TDK but I just can't go as far as saying it's far superior.
Old 07-25-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hathaway as Selina Kyle. I liked her character motivation and the way she played it. Plus she looked good in a skintight suit.
Me and my friend got a kick out of the IMAX shots of her ass on the batpod. I heard an audible reaction from him in each of our viewings. We saw the film on an IMAX dome so the slight distortion made her backside look extra bulbous.
Old 07-25-12, 11:13 PM

Stuff I liked:

Hardy as Bane. Often I forgot it was Hardy under the mask. I do wish they fleshed him out a bit more (and not just with a narration by Talia in the last 15 minutes), but the actual performance was excellent.

The big action set pieces were quite impressive. I did like the Bat, unlike some who found it stretched the bounds of reality too much.

Bale as Wayne. He gave his most emotional performance of all three films and it shows.

The IMAX footage looked so, so good. Wally Pfister should get an academy award for cinematography. The IMAX stuff is immaculate.

The first fight with Bane was really tense.
Compare this to the (quite literally) pages and pages of nitpicking in this thread, endless paragraphs about Wayne returning to Gotham, how does Blake know Batman, and so on.

It's like "the first fight with Bane was really tense"

but...

"the second fight with Bane was a mess and here are 15 paragraphs why, detailing each and every flaw and nitpick I have an issue with and will run into the ground (padded out to 15 actual paragraphs)" and that's what this thread is. That's not asking for praise and only praise, and it's not being an over-the-top defender either.

It's not specific to you, it's just the overall nature of this thread and it seems, most threads about movies. People just have far less to say unless it's a discussion of a film's supposed problems. That's just unfortunate, to me anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.