Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kickstarter: Charlie Kaufman's Anomalisa

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

They're trying to fund a $200,000, 40 minute short movie called Anomalisa written by Charlie Kaufman, stop-motion animated by Dino Stamatopoulos (at Starburns Industries... yeah, that Starburns) and produced by Dan Harmon.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...mans-anomalisa

Interesting route to take for a short, they have 58 days left and $134,000 raised.
Old 07-18-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Kickstarter: Charlie Kaufman's Anomalisa

I'm in for the Blu-ray. They've almost hit their goal with more than 50 days left.
Old 10-16-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So.. since the Kickstarter campaign, the movie got expanded to a feature-length film:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...a/posts/852303

It's been screening at film festivals and racking up a lot of good reviews:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anomalisa/

It won the Grand Jury Prize at Cannes
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...sa-wins-822542

I saw this last night at a special "backers-only" screening, and it's a funny, beautiful, and sad work. It's definitely on par with Kaufman's other films.
Old 11-02-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

From Hollywood Elsewhere :

My Soul To Keep

The melancholy gloom that permeates every frame of Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson‘s Anomalisa (Paramount Vantage, 12.30) is not, to be honest, conveyed by this trailer. The voice-over narration by Michael Stone (the lead character voiced by David Thewlis) is from a speech he gives to a group interested in his philosophy of customer service. Within the narrative Stone is a decent if self-centered and occasionally dickish fellow — a little peevish, a lonely married-with-kids guy who feels stranded, a cigarette smoker. The film takes place at a soulless Midwestern hotel, and focuses on a 24 hour period in which Michael ardently woos Lisa (Jennifer Jason Leigh) and then…uhm, well, more or less brushes her off. But as I discovered after my second viewing if you can get past the Kaufmanesque weltschmerz Anomalisa is a compassionate mood trip thing — a rich and somewhat complex adult animated film — and a very striking application of stop-motion animation. At 48 frames per day the film took three full years to shoot.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_1qk6kRw28?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-04-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Anomalisa (2015) W & D: Charlie Kaufman S: David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh

co directed by Duke Johnson

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DT6QJaS2a-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-04-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Anomalisa (2015) W & D: Charlie Kaufman S: David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh

Duplicate thread. Theres a previous thread about this movie on the first page of the Movie Talk forum, dude.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603177-kickstarter-charlie-kaufmans-anomalisa.html
Old 01-05-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw this tonight and it was fantastic!
Old 01-06-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Saw this tonight and it was fantastic!
On average, how many movies do you see in theaters per week? It seems like in every thread I click, you have just seen that particular film.
Old 01-06-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
On average, how many movies do you see in theaters per week? It seems like in every thread I click, you have just seen that particular film.
A lot - assuming there's stuff out here to watch. Christmas hit and there was tons of flicks (limited releases, too) to go and see.

Watching Hateful Eight in 70mm one more time tomorrow, too. I think I've seen a new movie every day this past week, as well.
Old 01-06-16, 12:29 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I probably would too if I lived in a big city like LA/NY. There's no shortage of good theaters I'd imagine based on the reserve seating thread and also real IMAX, 70mm projections, etc.
Old 01-10-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"It was interesting to hear Terri Gross, on NPR's Fresh Air, interviewing Kaufman and noting the naturalistic way the genitals swayed when the male puppet moved."

I'm in.
Old 01-14-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Glad to see a film like this got an Oscar nomination. Can't wait to see it.
Old 01-15-16, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I really didn't like this and its tough to put my finger on why. The way Kaufman portrays the emptiness he feels in life and the constant feeling of self loathing that permeates the entire film is just really tedious. The film is very depressing, but at the same time, the film is in no way rewarding. I can watch truly depressing films and get something meaningful out of them. But not Kaufman's last 2 films. The characters to me are so empty and banal and non existent. Their entire existence and the entire world Kaufman created is like a strong vote for nihilism. Maybe its because I fear ending up like this movie. I don't know. I don't know how to express myself properly, but by the time I wake up tomorrow I'll probably never think of this film again. I know I saw it, but I'm not entirely convinced the film actually exists. There are just no signs of life.
Old 01-15-16, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I really didn't like this and its tough to put my finger on why. The way Kaufman portrays the emptiness he feels in life and the constant feeling of self loathing that permeates the entire film is just really tedious. The film is very depressing, but at the same time, the film is in no way rewarding. I can watch truly depressing films and get something meaningful out of them. But not Kaufman's last 2 films. The characters to me are so empty and banal and non existent. Their entire existence and the entire world Kaufman created is like a strong vote for nihilism. Maybe its because I fear ending up like this movie. I don't know. I don't know how to express myself properly, but by the time I wake up tomorrow I'll probably never think of this film again. I know I saw it, but I'm not entirely convinced the film actually exists. There are just no signs of life.
respectfully, "naturally swaying puppet testicles."

i hear Morgan Freeman saying this in my head.
Old 01-16-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chadm

Hmmmm, I've only seen this once but I don't think
Spoiler:
the film is about Thewlis' character. It's actually about Lisa's. Michael is a dick until he wants to reconnect and connect with new and old women in his life. Outside of that he's basically a jerk. It's not until Lisa comes into the picture that things brighten up but not necessarily for Michael - but for Lisa. She's "A Mona Lisa."

If that makes sense. I'll definitely be getting the Blu-ray.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-15-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-15-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had some VuDu credit and bought this in HD. Looks like Vudu has the 2 week early exclusive on it in Digital HD.
Old 03-15-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had some VuDu credit and bought this in HD. Looks like Vudu has the 2 week early exclusive on it in Digital HD.
It looks like there's two versions on Vudu: the movie, and the movie "plus bonus features." The look the same price, so I'd make sure to get the one with bonus features:
http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...bonus-features

The bonus feature is a 30-minute making-of called "None of Them is You: Crafting Anomalisa".

I actually watched the making-of last night, as a Kickstarter digital bonus. It was pretty interesting.
Old 03-15-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah, Vudu, iTunes and Amazon have it available. 2 - 3 weeks early is roughly the norm these days.
Old 03-15-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It looks like there's two versions on Vudu: the movie, and the movie "plus bonus features." The look the same price, so I'd make sure to get the one with bonus features:
http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content...bonus-features

The bonus feature is a 30-minute making-of called "None of Them is You: Crafting Anomalisa".

I actually watched the making-of last night, as a Kickstarter digital bonus. It was pretty interesting.
Yup. That's the one I got.