Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pitch Perfect (d. Jason Moore, 2012) - Anna Kendrick, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pitch Perfect (d. Jason Moore, 2012) - Anna Kendrick, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Pitch Perfect (d. Jason Moore, 2012) - Anna Kendrick, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow

Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought I was the only person who had seen (and liked) Camp!
Nope davidh777
I saw Camp and really like it- Anna Kendrick was great in it and the cast was likeable, some comedy/drama, and music was great also- and Danny Devito directed- Nice little movie.

Pitch Perfect also was enjoyable for the same as above-(Minus Danny Devito). It was only limited release this week, but will be wider next week.

Last edited by brtcmfn; 09-30-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Pitch Perfect (d. Jason Moore, 2012) - Anna Kendrick, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It looks fun plus...it features my future wife and baby mama Rebel Wilson.
Check out A Few Best Men, an Australian comedy she was in. Funny enough.
Old 10-12-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I like watching Anna Kendricks on the big screen, and she does have lovely singing voice, and puts it to good use in this film about competitive collegiate acapella singing. The script is a little loosey-goosey in terms of the passage of time and juggling a large cast of characters, but the main cast of supporting characters and their foibles are used for decent comedic effect, but I think I wanted a little more singing but I did like most of the singing numbers.

If you like this type of film, it makes for a decent matinee viewing.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 10-12-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just saw this, I'd agree with the B-. Some corny elements but it was enjoyable.
Old 10-22-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Does Patman give anything a grade above a B-?

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. A little goofy, but the music and the cast were good. I'm a little intrigued by the book, but obviously it won't have the music that makes a movie like this work.

Anna Kendrick is very attractive but also has something unusual about her--her mouth, perhaps. It's been years since I've seen Camp so I might need to revisit that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o_9i9Q7KIrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-22-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Patman give anything a grade above a B-?
Also does Patman discuss the movies aside from the single post mini-reviews? It is almost like having an auto-robot posting in each movie thread! Patman if you're reading this say hi!
Old 10-22-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

^ Yes! I've come to the conclusion that "Patman" is just one of those computer programs that uses an algorithm to generate coherent but generic "reviews." Then it uses a random number generator and translates the result into a rating--anywhere from B- to B+.
Old 12-02-12, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Pat.man script v3.049.30d has improved and occasionally gives C+s to things.

<hr>

This still hasn't released in Australia but we had a preview screening today and I really, really enjoyed this. And I am not a fan of a capella or Glee or these type of comedies. Rebel Wilson was great and Ester Dean was fantastic (didn't realize that was her until after the film).

Anna Kendrick
Old 12-02-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hi.
Old 12-02-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Hi.

I liked this movie better than a B-. It's funny and has a charm. It reminds me of when I sang in an all girls group.
Old 12-02-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Hi.

Hi.
Old 12-02-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

In fact, this whole website is just a Turing test for the Patman AI.
Old 12-03-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quite within the realm of all infinite possibilities.
Old 12-25-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I file this flick in the same category as The House Bunny, Man of the House, Bring It On, etc; - it's a bubblegum comedy geared toward chicks, cast with hot chicks to satisfy the guys.

I actually found it to be better than those other flicks, it isn't great (it's a bit sloppy with time passage and characters) but it's very enjoyable and the eye candy is great. The singing is a lot of fun (though the final medley seemed a little off) and despite hitting a few lulls has pretty solid pacing. First time I've heard a Rihanna song sound good.

I do have to say, I hate Glee so I had pretty low expectations of this, it's thankfully nothing at all like Glee. Was surprised to see Adam from Workaholics with such a big role.

Plus I have a soft spot for The Breakfast Club, so it gets automatic points. Apparently all you have to do to get Anna Kendrick is be persistent, look like Dane Cook and be able to sing. I can be persistent as hell.

For whatever reason, I could have watched an extended bit from the battle sing off:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LDgdGBPD860" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 12-25-12 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-25-12, 08:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I heard a lot of good things about Pitch Perfect, and it starts off very well, with some surprising jokes that are both smart and edgy. Once the characters join the various a cappella groups, the jokes become incredibly generic and unfunny. The movie also sabotages itself by setting up expectations that the writer is aware of how cliche most films are, and then falls into the trap of hitting every single one of those cliches in the second and third acts.

Rebel Wilson kills it throughout, but most of the movie is a serious letdown.

Last edited by Supermallet; 12-25-12 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-25-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I think expectation plays a big role (I thought I'd hate it), I do agree though it starts off very funny and then gets sort of routine.
Old 12-25-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Despite my initial excitement, I missed this in the theater. But after hearing great things from my musical theater friends, I knew it was an easy blind buy.

Watched it the other night and loved it. Genuinely funny (some of the outtake stuff is hilarious) and had some heart too. The actors carried the music well, the arrangements were fun and all in all, it was just really well done.
Old 12-26-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely agree with those who believe that Pitch Perfect hits every cliché along the way, but I found myself enjoying this one more than I thought I would. Rebel Wilson is the star here and she's great in every scene she's in. Not all of the humor is a hit, but it's very enjoyable, especially since I expected to see something like Glee, which I'm not a fan of in any capacity.
Old 12-26-12, 02:18 AM
Banned by request

I might not have minded it hitting every cliche, except that they have a whole speech from Beca about how movies are boring because the endings are so predictable. It seemed like Kay Cannon was setting things up to not be filled with the same old cliches. So it seemed really lazy when she then abandoned all of that. The first 15-20 minutes of the movie is so funny, so sharp, and then it just drifts off into laziness. The scene where the one chick pukes is funny the first time, and excruciating the second, especially when the quiet Asian girl starts making vomit angels. Give me a fucking break.
Old 12-26-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mind the cliches if there's a heap of charm and that's why I really liked it. Beca stating that movie endings were cliched bugged me as she was saying it because I had a good idea that the movie would end up with a cliched movie ending but it never lost me. Supermallet, it sounds like you are jealous because you have never partaken in a vomit angel before.
Old 12-26-12, 05:41 PM
Banned by request

You always puke on me, not on the ground. Infuriating!
Old 12-29-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

I'm a little intrigued by the book, but obviously it won't have the music that makes a movie like this work.
After I said I was interested in the book, I just found it already sitting on my shelf--I must have picked it up a while back.
Old 12-29-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought this was mildly entertaining, but nothing particularly special so i'm surprised at all the love. I kind of agree with Supermallet, started off like it might be unique but everything was pretty generic and typical of this kind of comedy, romance angle and all. Decent music arrangements, but if it wasn't for Anna Kendrick I probably wouldn't care. I saw a clip of her doing the cup thing on Letterman, which was pretty neat.
Old 12-31-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You always puke on me, not on the ground. Infuriating!
Where's your Stalker Solid Snake? He always agrees with your posts.
Old 01-01-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The movie is not perfect by any stretch, but it was so much fun I didn't care. The cast was great, the music was fantastic, and it hit the right tone so I was willing to overlook any and all sins. Off to download the soundtrack now. Good times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.