Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 12:25 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

I went to a free screening tonight. Not a terrible movie I just left kind of underwhelmed. A decent rental but I wouldn't pay full price to see it. My biggest problem is Tom Cruise's character is just really one dimensional. Nothing really makes him interesting enough to sustain the plot. Leaving I could of thought of at least five other actors who would've added more personality to Reacher. Anyway its supposed to be a franchise so I think you can figure out the conclusion.
Old 12-19-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Wasn't planning on seeing this in theaters, but just saw that Werner Herzog is in it and totally kills it in his role. Looks like I will be seeing it in theaters after all.
Old 12-19-12, 09:33 PM

I just came from a screening myself. Maybe I would have liked it better if I was not a fan of the books. He played the role well enough but he is just miscast for it. The physical description for Jack Reacher is so strong in the books, I just couldn't see past it.

I met Lee Child years ago at a B&N book signing and actually asked him during the Q and A who he would like to have portray Reacher if they ever made a film adaptation and it KILLS me that I no longer remember who he said! The only thing I remember was that he was a British actor (not sure if many people realize Lee Child is from the UK) and that he stressed that this actor meet the physical requirements and how important that was for the character.
Old 12-19-12, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kmical

???
In my opinon, he would have been perfect for the role physically. I have read maybe about 6 of the books and the author really makes such a point of the physique. Tom Cruise is a talented actor, not my favorite but I will give credit where it's due, but in the fight scence outside the bar I kept thinking how short he was which is something I really had never noticed before.
Again, maybe if I hadn't read the books I would have enjoyed it more. Worth watching but I am glad I didn't have to pay for it.
Old 12-19-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read two of the books now, and from the books, Cruise is horribly miscast. However, I am going to give him a chance in the role and see the movie first.
Old 12-19-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I met Lee Child years ago at a B&N book signing and actually asked him during the Q and A who he would like to have portray Reacher if they ever made a film adaptation and it KILLS me that I no longer remember who he said! The only thing I remember was that he was a British actor (not sure if many people realize Lee Child is from the UK) and that he stressed that this actor meet the physical requirements and how important that was for the character.
Vinnie Jones?
Old 12-20-12, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Vinnie Jones?
No, I am fairly certain when he said the name it was someone I had never heard of before and I knew who Vinnie Jones was. Note to self, next time write the answer down!.
Old 12-20-12, 09:36 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I've listened to Lee Child speak as well. I don't think he mentioned any specific people if he were to cast Jack Reacher other than he be a physically large character. I'm sure his paycheck for the movie trumps all that though.
Old 12-20-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that I've read the books, but Ray Stevenson would be a solid pick, no?
Old 12-20-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think he would be.
Old 12-20-12, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I've listened to Lee Child speak as well. I don't think he mentioned any specific people if he were to cast Jack Reacher other than he be a physically large character. I'm sure his paycheck for the movie trumps all that though.
Well, at my book signing he did mention a specific actor....but he was a UK actor and the name was not familiar to me. Probably why it haunts me so much!! This was in NY around 2005 or so...
Old 12-20-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it last night. Left it whelmed. I actually did like Cruise in the role, seemed suited to his strengths, but the supporting cast was thoroughly meh. Not disappointed I went, but would have, had I paid money.

Never read any of the books, despite liking Lee Childs' works with Douglas Preston.
Old 12-20-12, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I had to look him up, that was the actor that was just on Dexter no? Yes, he would have to lose the accent but I think he would be a good fit!

Geofferson- I agree at the end of the day I am sure the paycheck was very pretty!
Old 12-21-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Saw this today. Never read a Reacher book. I thought it was solid but it was kind of funny how Pike had this deer-in-the-headlights kind of look the whole movie. I wouldn't avoid movies she's in but it would make me look forward to them less. I was entertained. Thought it was funny how Reacher says "Mission Impossible" in the movie.
Old 12-21-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I had to look him up, that was the actor that was just on Dexter no? Yes, he would have to lose the accent but I think he would be a good fit!

Geofferson- I agree at the end of the day I am sure the paycheck was very pretty!

He was the Punisher in War Zone and kicked even more as on Rome from HBO.
Old 03-02-15, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is going for 8 bucks at Amazon, for the BD.