Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

To The Wonder (2012) D: Terrence Malick Starring:Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

To The Wonder (2012) D: Terrence Malick Starring:Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: To The Wonder (2012) D: Terrence Malick Starring:Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams

Originally Posted by Chadm
Martin Sheen was cut from The Thin Red Line AND To The Wonder. There's a huge laundry list of people who've been cut from Malick films.
it was actually Michael Sheen who was cut from To The Wonder
Old 03-13-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: To The Wonder (2012) D: Terrence Malick Starring:Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams

Reportedly Affleck and McAdams have also been cut from To The Wonder.
Old 03-13-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

From my understanding it's mostly Olga Kurylenko's movie, so you wouldn't be far off.
Old 03-13-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strevlac
No, the same is not true of Malick. He has no idea what the fuck he is doing. Which would be ok if he had the inventiveness and humor and creativity of Fellini, but he doesn't. At all.
Rarely do I agree with you, but I can't disagree here.
Old 03-13-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

I really am curious as to what a Terrence Malick movie with all of the characters originally written for it in tact would look like and how long it would last.
Old 03-13-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer didn't do much for me, though I'm sure it's misleading as hell. I will definitely see this at some point. Pretentiousness and all, I like Malick.
Old 03-13-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I really am curious as to what a Terrence Malick movie with all of the characters originally written for it in tact would look like and how long it would last.
Badlands?
Old 03-15-13, 10:02 AM

judging by the trailer... Malick strangely makes Oklahoma look absolutely gorgeous. i think that's pretty damn commendable in itself.
Old 03-15-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Affleck's a good actor, even better as a director. He's matured up now.
Yeah, though I still think that Argo and The Town, while fun, are formulaic and his best film as a director is the underappreciated Gone Baby Gone. What really brought me around to Affleck was his willingness to make fun of himself, especially in Smith's stuff. But I like the fact that actors like him and Brad Pitt are willing to star in a film by someone as iconoclastic as Malick to boost the box office appeal and let artist let him get their films off the ground. I think that's great.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Is this also the project with Natalie Portman and Rooney Mara? Malick seems to be making a lot of movies as of late.
Yeah, it's the opposite of when he used to have huge gaps between project, its used to be that a new film from Malick was a rare thing that artists and critics really stood up and took notice of, now some that "mystique" is gone. He still commands a lot of respect though.
Old 03-15-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Yeah, though I still think that Argo and The Town, while fun, are formulaic and his best film as a director is the underappreciated Gone Baby Gone.
1. Gone Baby Gone
2. Argo
3. The Town
Old 03-15-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think his directing to better movie to movie, but Gone Baby Gone had the best actual storyline.
Old 03-15-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think his directing to better movie to movie, but Gone Baby Gone had the best actual storyline.
Which, to be fair, probably had a lot to do with Dennis Lehane.
Old 04-01-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, the reviews are not good. One review by Todd McCarthy summed up my thoughts of Malick perfectly, based on the films I've seen.

Todd Mcarthy - Variety

However accomplished Malick's technique might be in some ways, this mostly comes off, especially in the laborious second hour, as visual doodling without focused thematic goals.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/to_the_wonder/
Old 04-10-13, 12:05 PM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I don't know if this has been mentioned at all but...

The movie will be in select theatres AND On Demand starting this Friday. Itunes, Amazon, Cable on demand, etc.
Old 04-10-13, 02:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 846 Posts

I mentioned it, but in a totally different thread.

I'll be getting it on VOD and watching it on my 115" 2.35:1 screen.
Old 04-10-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Reportedly Affleck and McAdams have also been cut from To The Wonder.
No, they're still in it...according to this review found on Thompson on Hollywood. Here's the link:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...-to-the-wonder

And here are excerpts from the review:

Affleck has joked that "The Tree Of Life" looks like "The Transformers" compared to "To The Wonder". The former certainly delineates a grander, more robust and ambitious narrative than the slim, simple storyline of the latter, which doesn't dip into the origins of the cosmos but does append faith and God to its primary concern, which is the elusive, confusing, mysterious nature of love as surveyed within the lush, spacey delirium of a typical Malick dreamscape.

At times it's a many-splendored thing: the two women who worship Affleck in "To The Wonder" (the other being a hometown girl played by Rachel McAdams, who he briefly falls for after Marina flees back to Europe) feel it passionately and express it a thousand times over in breathy voiceover and transparent facial cues; Affleck, who probably has four lines in the movie but does engage in plenty of melancholy embraces and wistful walks through tall grassy fields, doesn't seem to feel much at all; and Bardem, in a subplot that crops up now and again when you've all but forgotten it, grapples with his love for God as he mingles with his flock in the small Oklahoma town that's also home to Neil and Marina.

Malick is a revered cinematic poet, deservedly so, and striving for lyrical transcendence on screen is his worthwhile ambition. But it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card either. "To The Wonder", to me, played like a slighter (and more repetitive) version of "The Tree Of Life" in most respects, its flowing, exquisite imagery and elegant soundscape certainly pleasing to the eye and ear but the moves and motives of its sketchy characters failing to offer enough substance to nourish the spirit.
Old 04-10-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

While this might be getting some negative reviews, this was the last movie reviewed by Roger Ebert and he gave it a thumbs up. Don't know if that counts for anything other than trivia, but I'm sure it will be exploited for something.
Old 04-10-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

express it a thousand times over in breathy voiceover
Malick you are killing me.
Old 04-11-13, 12:40 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know where to put this love from my heart. It spills out of me, into you, and I swing in the backyard full of this love.
Old 04-11-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've got two tickets in my pocket, now baby, we're gonna disappear. We've waited so long, waited so long.
Old 04-11-13, 12:58 PM
RIP

Who would've thought that Eddie Money lyrics could sound like voiceover work from a Malick film?
Old 04-11-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been sending his agent e-mails about doing an Eddie Money musical for a while, no dice.
Old 04-11-13, 01:12 PM
RIP

I have yet to see the Tree of Life, but I was just perusing quotes on imdb:

"Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things."

" I didn't know how to name You then. But I see it was You. Always You were calling me."

"How do I get back? To where they are."
Grace doesn't try to please itself. Accepts being slighted, forgotten, disliked. Accepts insults and injuries."

Malick has gotten to be a bit much, hasn't he?
Old 04-12-13, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished watching this on iTunes. Gorgeous film. Plot-wise there's almost nothing going on just beautiful imagery (somewhat repetitive) and voice over mostly in French.
Old 04-12-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Mixed review by A.O. Scott in The New York Times today.

Here are some paragraphs:

The director’s methods serve the film’s theme, which is the tension, the imperfect alignment, between human love and its divine correlative. Marina speaks more than once of “the love that loves us,” echoing the priest’s longing to feel the connection to God identified, in the Christian tradition, as grace.
Mr. Malick takes theology seriously and tries to give its impulses a visual form. His camera, swinging upward from earth to sky, traces a path from the sensual to the spiritual, and his men and women are blessed and cursed to inhabit both realms at once. In “The Tree of Life” he managed — to the bafflement of some and the rapt amazement of others (myself included) — to endow the details of individual lives with genuine awe and to afford even skeptics a view of existence from the perspective of eternity.

“To the Wonder” gestures toward the same kind of transcendence but falls short. This is partly because the human situation in the center of the film does not quite support its philosophical scaffolding and partly because the images, gorgeous as they are, do not in themselves possess the evocative power Mr. Malick intends them to have. He works in a shorthand that can sometimes feel facile rather than profound. Images of Neil’s work sampling soil and water at industrial sites and of poor and disabled Oklahomans appear as tokens rather than expressions of social and environmental concern. And the torsos, the sun-dappled fields and the twirling ladies look more commercial than cosmic, as if plucked from advertisements for perfume, high-thread-count sheets or other luxury goods.

This is not entirely Mr. Malick’s fault, and his insistence on finding a cinematic idiom that connects beauty to ultimate truth is noble and sincere. But the fine intentions of “To the Wonder” pave a road to puzzlement, not awe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.