Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of MIB 3?
It was awesome
24.07%
It was good, not great
50.00%
It was just alright
18.52%
Hated it. Thought it sucked
0%
Not a fan of the series
7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#browseCarouselUI=hide&repeat=0&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fmen-in-black-iii-2012%2Ftrailers%2Fmen-in-black-3-theatrical-trailer-28512874.html&vid=28512874&startScreenCarouselUI=hide"></iframe>

Synopsis:

Agents J and K are back... in time. J has seen some inexplicable things in his 15 years with the Men in Black, but nothing, not even aliens, perplexes him as much as his wry, reticent partner. But when K's life and the fate of the planet are put at stake, Agent J will have to travel back in time to put things right. J discovers that there are secrets to the universe that K never told him -- secrets that will reveal themselves as he teams up with the young Agent K to save his partner, the agency, and the future of humankind.

Starring:
Will Smith
Tommy Lee Jones
Josh Brolin

With this opening today, I think it's time to start a reviews thread. I have the Free MIB 3 movie cash coupon from buying the MIB BD. Will try to go this weekend.
Old 05-25-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Threa

A.O. Scott gives it a good review in today's New York Times:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/05/25...ef=todayspaper
Old 05-25-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Threa

I saw it last night in 3D at a sneak preview. It was great fun, I grinned from ear to ear through most of it. Brolin NAILED Tommy Lee, and Griffin was the best new character in the movie. Also thought the bad guy, Boris, was pretty amusing.

I give it a solid B+
Old 05-25-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Men in Black 3 is a movie made by 8-year olds, for 8-year olds. If you go in with that kind of mindset, it can be fun. It's a silly cartoon, nothing makes sense, and occasionally the jokes are funny.

Things I really liked:
- Josh Brolin takes the role extremely seriously and knocks it out of the part.
Spoiler:
- Maybe it's because of the way it was filmed, or the sound design, but with all of these ridiculous sci-fi gadgets around, it makes it so much more crystal clear how awesome it was we sent a man to the moon. I never thought it would be this film that would increase my awe for the space program.
- Jemaine Clement as the bad guy
- Bill Hader as Warhol. That whole scene was the highlight of the film for me.

- The film is mercifully short.

I'd recommend it. But keep in mind my opening line.
Old 05-25-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the 3D quality?
Old 05-25-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Men in Black 3 is a movie made by 8-year olds, for 8-year olds.

I'd recommend it. But keep in mind my opening line.
Who's this 8-year-old auteur you're speaking of?
Was MIB3 directed by Willow Smith?
Old 05-25-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it in 2D. Seemed to have a lot of made-for-3D shots (not in a good way).
Old 05-25-12, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone spoilerize the final scene I keep hearing about ?
Old 05-25-12, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's on wikipedia...at least I think that's what I think is the last scene.
Old 05-25-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it - way better than MIIB - if this had been the first sequel, I may have still had some enthusiasm for the series. Smith was in autopilot for most of it, doing his same old schtick, but Josh Brolin definitely killed it. Brolin and Michael Stuhlbarg steal the movie. Boris the bad guy was decent and I thought his character design was very cool - no horrible Rip Torn jumping in the air doing a bicycle kick moments in this one, which is a huge plus The story is a bit muddled and K's secrets smack of retcon, but I had fun with it. I wish we could have had a little bit more of Agent AA, since I love Will Arnett but in a Sonnenfeld flick, there isn't time for such things. Saw it in IMAX 3D and thought it looked great throughout. Not a knockout or a true 'MUST SEE', but if you're looking for a fun diversion (and have already seen The Avengers 3 times) then it's worth checking out.
Old 05-25-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Though I'm not an 8-year-old, I enjoyed the film. Much better than the second installment. Brolin completely nailed the character and Griffin was a cool new edition. The ending was cool and touching. It was fun.
Old 05-25-12, 12:52 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The Wikipedia article is very accurate.
Old 05-25-12, 01:22 PM
Banned

well I guess it's there in that case.
Old 05-25-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Fun and entertaining, and Josh Brolin is brilliant. But still fails to capture the magic of the original. Boris was not a very good villain, too brute-like IMO. Thought Griffin looked familiar, didn't recognize him as the actor from A Serious Man without his glasses. I give three stars and hope they won't make anymore. I do like how they kind of brought everything full circle at the end.
Old 05-25-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Saw it tonight. I went in with fairly low expectations so maybe that's why but I actually really enjoyed it. A lot better than Men In Black II and I'd say it was pretty close to being as good as the original. Maybe fell a little short but still good. Josh Brolin was great in this. Even Smith who I'm normally not a big fan was okay I thought.
Old 05-26-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So.....did ANYONE watch it in 3D?

I may opt for 3D anyway in the hopes they show a Prometheus trailer. My free ticket covers $10, so I only have to dig up 50 cent to pay for it.
Old 05-26-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I saw it last night in 3D at a sneak preview. It was great fun, I grinned from ear to ear through most of it. Brolin NAILED Tommy Lee, and Griffin was the best new character in the movie. Also thought the bad guy, Boris, was pretty amusing.

I give it a solid B+

Men in Brokeblack?
Old 05-26-12, 10:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better in every way than part 2, honestly. While it lacked the 'freshness' of the original (some of the quirky alien gags felt a bit old hat by this point), it makes up for it with one key factor: heart. This movie works because it puts the characters and story ahead of the FX and crazy setups.
Old 05-26-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Better in every way than part 2, honestly. While it lacked the 'freshness' of the original (some of the quirky alien gags felt a bit old hat by this point), it makes up for it with one key factor: heart. This movie works because it puts the characters and story ahead of the FX and crazy setups.
I'm not usually one of "those people" who quote a post and say "This", but... This.

Although I'm in the (apparent) minority of people who actually enjoyed MIIB, the new installment was better in every way. Brolin was absolutely perfect as a young K, so much so that at times I forgot that I wasn't watching a younger Tommy Lee Jones. And the story itself was very good, both in terms of plot and character development.

Oh, and I loved the visual references to Frank, too.
Old 05-26-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw an early 3D showing today and enjoyed it. Easily better than the previous film, but comes up short of the original, which wasn't amazing to begin with. Nice to see Smith back on the big screen, and Brolin gave the film a much needed boost. The 3D effects were pretty good for the most part. I also thought Boris was a very good alien villain.
Old 05-26-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Good movie. Just as solid as the first. Once again, it felt really short. When they get to the baseball stadium, I thought to myself "don't let this end in five minutes". Thankfully, there was another entire sequence. Sonnefeld just keeps it going. For instance, some other director would have taken the trip from NY to FL for a conversation or something goofy. But with Sonnefeld, they're there in five seconds.

The best parts? The arc of J and K's relationship was really good. The Andy Worhol scene was hilarious. And that guy who can see the future was a good addition.

And it's really like watching a Saturday morning cartoon. There's nothing rich to analyze. And it's not some intensly fufilling experience that stays with you afterwards. Just a quick fun movie (and up there with the best of it's kind).
Old 05-26-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Saw it today in 2D and very much enjoyed it. It was alot of fun and captured some of the magic from the 1st film. Lots of funny moments and it was good to see Will Smith back on the big screen again.

I agree with everyone that Josh Brolin was indeed the highlight. He absolutely nailed playing the younger K. His banter with J was often hilarious. I especially enjoyed seeing him eventually warm up to J's goofball antics.

Nothing really to nit pick or overanalyze. Just a fun time with some old familiar faces.
Old 05-26-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Hmmm. Another thing. I liked Wild Wild West, just as much as Sonnefeld's other movies. But I still can't distinguish why that movie is considered 'bad', and this movie is considered 'good'.
Old 05-26-12, 10:18 PM
Banned

Probably the story.
Old 05-26-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Hmmm. Another thing. I liked Wild Wild West, just as much as Sonnefeld's other movies. But I still can't distinguish why that movie is considered 'bad', and this movie is considered 'good'.
I'm guessing because the source material was a classic TV Western show and the final product being some over the top steam punk sci-fi was a turnoff. I didn't think it was horrible, but it wasn't great either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.