Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies with ambiguous endings?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies with ambiguous endings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Movies with ambiguous endings?

Originally Posted by hasslein
The Italian Job (original)
The French Connection - (who fired the last shot?)
I think Reservior Dogs as well, my friends & I were having a debate about the ending
I've never seen TFC2 but...from what I've read that ending makes no sense if both characters are in TFC2. Which only leads to tFC2 making no sense as a sequel to TFC.
Old 05-28-12, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sound of My Voice
Old 05-28-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by bjh_18
Did you watch until after the credits? It becomes far less ambiguous then.
Actually it's the last shot after the credits that makes it ambiguous. You can CLEARLY come to two different conclusions with that shot:

Spoiler:
The wolf is breathing, but Liam's head isn't moving at all...did he kill the wolf and it's taking its last few breaths (as the first wolf in the movie he killed did), or did the wolf kill him and is now enjoying its prey? Totally ambigious final shot.
Old 05-28-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Cast Away
I second that. To follow the girl with the pickup truck or ...?
Old 05-29-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think some people in this thread are confusing ambigious with open-ended. An ambigious ending is one where you can deduce multiple interpretations from what happened on screen. Open-ended is just where there is no resolution. Many of these movies mentioned are just open-ended and not ambigious.
Old 05-29-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think some people in this thread are confusing ambigious with open-ended. An ambigious ending is one where you can deduce multiple interpretations from what happened on screen. Open-ended is just where there is no resolution. Many of these movies mentioned are just open-ended and not ambigious.
But aren't ambiguous endings open-ended anyway? That's a pretty fine line to cross isn't it?
Old 05-29-12, 07:08 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure if anyone mentioned this: Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise. I haven't seen it in about 10 years, so I forgot much of the movie, but I remember the ending being a bit confusing.
Old 05-29-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've never seen TFC2 but...from what I've read that ending makes no sense if both characters are in TFC2. Which only leads to tFC2 making no sense as a sequel to TFC.
Spoiler:
Well, you know the frog got away, and Doyle was transferred by the end tag. But did Doyle shoot another cop? WF said he put the gunshot in to make it ambiguous.
Old 05-29-12, 11:03 AM
Banned

yeah but he had nothing to do w/ TFC2.
Old 05-29-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
yeah but he had nothing to do w/ TFC2.
Spoiler:
My point was, TFC end tag tells you both are alive, and ruins a real ambiguity. I think it may have been better without the tag.
Old 05-29-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Not sure if anyone mentioned this: Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise. I haven't seen it in about 10 years, so I forgot much of the movie, but I remember the ending being a bit confusing.
Maybe it's because I saw Abres Los Ojos first, but I never could figure out what people found confusing about Vanilla Sky.
Old 05-29-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Maybe it's because I saw Abres Los Ojos first, but I never could figure out what people found confusing about Vanilla Sky.
I didn't find Vanilla Sky confusing at all. Maybe I would have if that tech support dude didn't make a 5 minute speech that explained the entire movie like we were 5 year olds. I'm not saying the explanation was bad or wasn't needed, but I thought it explained everything very clearly and very matter of factly.
Old 05-29-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

As did I, it actually explained more than Abres Los Ojos did, excessively so.
Old 05-29-12, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hasslein
Spoiler:
My point was, TFC end tag tells you both are alive, and ruins a real ambiguity. I think it may have been better without the tag.
yeah, TFC would've done better w/o it. Still a great movie just..kind of pointless. Cuz the shot is very impactful and leaves you wondering.
Old 05-29-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ends very ambiguously. We never find out what happens to the ring at the end of the movie. Sam doesn't leave Frodo's side...are they gay? There's all kinds of unanswered questions by the end of this movie. Very brave.
Old 05-29-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by conscience
But aren't ambiguous endings open-ended anyway? That's a pretty fine line to cross isn't it?
All ambigous endings are open-ended. Not all open-ended endings are ambigious.

Movies that just have unanswered questions are not (necessarily) ambigious. Movies which have scenes in which two (or more) interpretations can be made are ambigious.

Example 1: The spinning top in Inception is an example of an ambigious movie ending.

Example 2: Han Solo frozen in carbonite is an example of an open-ended movie ending.

Thank you for playing.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-29-12 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 08:34 PM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Interesting argument and a you draw a fine line that I can appreciate. But I could go either way with your definition. To me, ambiguous IS open-endedn the end.
Old 05-29-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think open ended is when the viewer is pretty much free to make up whatever ending he or she wants. The Sopranos is a good example of an open ended ending. Sure, people have their opinions about what happened and some people are adamant that their ending is correct, but really ANYTHING could have happened at the end of the Sopranos. The viewer can make up pretty much anything.

Ambiguous is when the filmmaker more or less presents 2 or more different options as to how the movie ends and the viewer is free to choose one of the options that were presented. The viewer can't make up anything he or she wants, but can only choose one of the options that the movie presents.

I know I had a bit of a disagreement with a couple posters regarding Shutter Island, but in my opinion there are 2 possibilites for the ending of that movie. There are only 2 ways the movie could have ended and the viewer has to choose one of them, therefore the ending of that movie is ambiguous. There are many, many different ways that the Sopranos could have ended...basically it could have ended any way YOU wanted it to end, therefore that ending was open ended.
Old 05-30-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Layer Cake