DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/601301-weekend-box-office-5-4-5-7-joss-whedon-finally-achieves-box-office-gold.html)

d2cheer 05-09-12 10:24 AM

Re: Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11224749)
You know, Gweneth has never been on my "hot celebs" radar, but the scene with her in jean shorts made me a convert. She has some killer legs.

Agree she has never looked as hot as she has in the Iron Man movies and now this...maybe it has something to do with Robert Downey Jr.?

fumanstan 05-09-12 10:34 AM

Re: Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

The radiant Robert Downey Jr.

Solid Snake 05-09-12 10:44 AM

It's the shorts and and shirt she had, man. She had that girl next door thing going on. And she was fucking hot w/ it. Also..she was kind of bubbly as well.

Also it turns out Downey fought to get Pepper Potts in there. Whedon was against it, going w/ that you had to isolate them from any and all supporting characters from their solo films to better establish the team and in itself the isolation of being so different from each other as well. Downey's reasoning for Potts was that it's a very integral progression of Stark going from a playboy to a more matured relationship. And well...being a team player too. Just maturity overall. Well...more of it.

And well..damnit..I agree w/ Downey on that one. She was a blast to see in there. I really liked the romance between them. It just layers Stark. Who, IMO, always needs more to be layered due to his personality and character.

Ash Ketchum 05-09-12 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11224895)
I think you know very well what I am talking about. We all know that there is nothing new under the sun, and there are really only about 10 basic stories to tell. Everything is inspired by something else because creativity cannot exist in a vaccum.

What I am talking about is much less complicated: new movies not based on existing properties. Or at least not well-known existing properties. If some movie comes along and is based on a dime-store novel that nobody read (Die Hard), for all intents and purposes it is "original"

As for the mention of 2001, the movie and the novel were developed simultaneously. If anything, the novel sprang forth because of the movie and was then further embellished.

Points well taken. I was being a little nitpicky there.

Ash Ketchum 05-09-12 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole (Post 11224785)
Totally disagree...the quality of popcorn films being made today are as good as they were 30 years ago. Nostalgia and time once again play tricks on people's critical perceptions.

You're making me do comparisons and I'm surprised to realize that I like TRANSFORMERS 1 & 3 a lot more than I like all the summer blockbusters of the late '70s and early '80s. The one summer blockbuster from that period that I really continue to like is BLUES BROTHERS (rel. June 1980).

Solid Snake 05-09-12 12:12 PM

I'm not going to look it up but...is the summer blockbuster a child from the 80s? Seems like it kinda is.

Hokeyboy 05-09-12 12:14 PM

Jaws was considered the first "summer blockbuster" in the contemporary sense of the word...

Ash Ketchum 05-09-12 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11225154)
I'm not going to look it up but...is the summer blockbuster a child from the 80s? Seems like it kinda is.

I think JAWS (1975) started the whole thing. Although, I do remember seeing LOVE STORY (1970) and THE GODFATHER (1972) in the summer in their years, although they might have been released much earlier in the year since movies tended to stick around in theaters a lot longer back then.

Solid Snake 05-09-12 12:38 PM

Right. I'm looking into it now...seems like Jaws changed it up. Studios wanted their own financially profitable Jaws too. How sad and fascinating.

starman9000 05-09-12 01:23 PM

Are any of the actors, directors, or producers making a % of the box office for Avengers? (is that sort of thing usually public?)

Solid Snake 05-09-12 01:29 PM

I think at some point after the fact. In this case the way it's sounded so far. People are contracted in and they're getting paid...that's it.

Mr. Cinema 05-09-12 01:31 PM

Yes, Jaws was the original Summer blockbuster. And was nominated for Best Picture. That's something you don't see often anymore with the big Summer movies.

RichC2 05-09-12 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 11225244)
Yes, Jaws was the original Summer blockbuster. And was nominated for Best Picture. That's something you don't see often anymore with the big Summer movies.

Yep, since neither Gladiator nor Inception (or Toy Story 3 for that matter) were nominated for best picture (I will say Gladiator was a while ago now, 12 years, yeesh.)

Also worth noting, back in the day you only got big budget pictures during the Summer, now it's a year round affair.

Defiant1 05-09-12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000 (Post 11225230)
Are any of the actors, directors, or producers making a % of the box office for Avengers? (is that sort of thing usually public?)

Such things are usually known. I don't know what the particulars are for this movie but I would imagine that RDJr has enough clout to demand a percentage of the gross. The other actors aren't nearly famous enough (Chris Evans is pretty much box office poison outside of superhero movies) for that kind of backend deal. This article would seem to indicate that Joss Whedon probably got a standard salary for writing and directing the movie with no backend.

RoboDad 05-09-12 02:06 PM

There were (obviously) "blockbuster" films before Jaws, but their designation as such was due only to their popularity (i.e., financial success).

Jaws was the first real summer "tentpole" or "event" movie, and established what could be called a summer blockbuster genre of filmmaking. It was so wildly successful that other studios almost immediately started to imitate the formula.

However, I think that Star Wars was even more influential than Jaws in solidifying the genre, although I don't think it was really planned as such, at least not from the beginning.

anomynous 05-09-12 02:11 PM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...50846396_n.jpg

Mr. Cinema 05-09-12 02:14 PM

The Avengers Tuesday earnings: $17.6 million.

Defiant1 05-09-12 02:16 PM

It's actually $207.4M for the opening weekend. :)

d2cheer 05-09-12 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 11225312)

Worldwide: $744,114,897

I can't even comprehend how much and fast this movie is making money.

Deftones 05-09-12 03:58 PM

I just saw that. It's made it's shooting budget back in 4 days. :lol:

A this pace, it'll break $300 million on Friday or so. It'll could even come close to $400 million by early next week. Wow.

Disney is probably like this:

superdeluxe 05-09-12 04:52 PM

#4 Tuesday of all time. TDK was during the Summer months and Avatar was in a Holiday week.

Supermallet 05-09-12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11224895)
I think you know very well what I am talking about. We all know that there is nothing new under the sun, and there are really only about 10 basic stories to tell. Everything is inspired by something else because creativity cannot exist in a vaccum.

What I am talking about is much less complicated: new movies not based on existing properties. Or at least not well-known existing properties. If some movie comes along and is based on a dime-store novel that nobody read (Die Hard), for all intents and purposes it is "original"

As for the mention of 2001, the movie and the novel were developed simultaneously. If anything, the novel sprang forth because of the movie and was then further embellished.

So within one post we go from "original" to "not based on existing properties" to "not based on existing properties people know well." Keep drawing that line in the sand.

And while you are correct about the novel 2001 being developed along with the movie, the film was initially inspired by the Arthur C. Clarke short story "The Sentinel."

The most original movies I can think of are not big budget blockbusters.

Dr. DVD 05-09-12 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 11225244)

I remember last summer Geektime did an interview with Frank Marshall when he was promoting Super 8. He said that back in the days of Jaws , Raiders, and even up to Back to the Future, Summer Blockbusters never were planned. You had maybe one event movie, such as a Star Wars or Indiana Jones sequel, but the big hit of the summer typically just happened and got by on being (gasp!) a good movie! If I were to pinpoint the first modern blockbuster (i.e. tickets sold through a hype machine), I would have to go with 1989's Batman.

Mr. Cinema 05-09-12 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 11225590)
I remember last summer Geektime did an interview with Frank Marshall when he was promoting Super 8. He said that back in the days of Jaws , Raiders, and even up to Back to the Future, Summer Blockbusters never were planned. You had maybe one event movie, such as a Star Wars or Indiana Jones sequel, but the big hit of the summer typically just happened and got by on being (gasp!) a good movie! If I were to pinpoint the first modern blockbuster (i.e. tickets sold through a hype machine), I would have to go with 1989's Batman.

Terminator 2 would fit that bill also. I was 12 when that was released. That was a hype machine as well. I was lucky enough to have my aunt take me and my cousin to see it theatrically.

We've come a long way to the days of barely having a blockbuster released in the Summer to now. And we'll start seeing more released in March and April based on the successes of The Hunger Games, 300, The Matrix, etc.

Ash Ketchum 05-09-12 06:22 PM

I remember when THE GREAT ESCAPE and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS were summer blockbusters (1963). They both opened on Broadway on August 7th, the day after my birthday. I was taken to a Broadway show on my birthday and there were big billboards advertising both movies. Of course, I didn't get to see either one till they came to neighborhood theaters in the Bronx one month later, in the case of JASON, and three months later, in the cast of ESCAPE.