Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Place Beyond The Pines -- D: Cianfrance S: Gosling, Cooper, Liotta -- 3/29/13

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Place Beyond The Pines -- D: Cianfrance S: Gosling, Cooper, Liotta -- 3/29/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Place Beyond The Pines -- D: Cianfrance S: Gosling, Cooper, Liotta -- Fall 20

Looks good.
Old 01-30-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 453 Likes on 255 Posts
Re: The Place Beyond The Pines -- D: Cianfrance S: Gosling, Cooper, Liotta -- Fall 20

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
For a second that looked like a samurai sword infront of Gosling
It's a tennis racket, correct?
Old 01-30-13, 08:19 AM

Received 4,601 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Its the bike's handlebars. Kind of a weird way to put it in the poster.
Old 01-30-13, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really looking forward to this one. Loved "Blue Valentine." I thought the two lead performances were absolutely fantastic.
Old 03-17-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

Can a mod please change the date in the title to 3/29?

First movie I've been genuinely looking forward to this year. Good reviews so far, 89%.
Old 03-17-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

God, I cannot wait to see this. Unfortunately, I'll have to put up with the limited release bullshit and probably take forever before I actually get to see it.
Old 03-23-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Place Beyond The Pines -- D: Cianfrance S: Gosling, Cooper, Liotta -- 3/29/13

New clip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9wPObxF3_tE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-23-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
God, I cannot wait to see this. Unfortunately, I'll have to put up with the limited release bullshit and probably take forever before I actually get to see it.
The film comes out now in less than a week and Focus still hasn't announced when the expansion begins.
Old 04-05-13, 02:16 PM

Re: The Place Beyond The Pines -- D: Cianfrance S: Gosling, Cooper, Liotta -- 3/29/13

Burning for Gosling
by James Franco

This week I went to see The Place Beyond the Pines at the Arclight. It being a Monday, the theater wasn't packed, but it was not a bad crowd considering. Also, it's a damn long film for what it is: an earnest character study done in a realistic style with a Shakespearian frame of sins of the fathers being handed down to the sons. Its style is part Cassavetes, part Dardenne brothers by way of The Wrestler. It's told in three parts to show how the lives of different strangers are intertwined, and each episode is a passing of the focalizing baton. We start with Gosling, move to Bradley Coops and then 15 movie-years later to their sons, played by Dane DeHaan and some young goomba whose connection with his character is so tight it's magical, like a Jersey Shore thug contextualized by serious circumstances so that his personality isn't played for cheap MTV laughs but instead for the terror such brutish and reckless superficial personalities can inspire. All actors are excellent, and this is one thing that Cianfrance can do: make the simple and desperate feel as epic as a symphony.

I loved the whole film and was engaged every moment of the way. But what I want to talk about is the first section, the Gosling section; I want to make love to this section.

It starts with the sounds of a carnival over black. The first image we see is Gos's toned six-pack, framed tight so that his head is cut off in order to focus our attention on the full spread of idiosyncratic tattoos and the impressive opening and closing of a butterfly knife, a skill Gosling mastered -- he is the king of eccentric character behavior -- as the character anxiously paces; in the same take, the character (we later learn his name is Luke) sticks the knife overhand into the wall and walks out the door shirtless; we still haven't seen his face but we know it's the Gos: the hair, the head, the strut; as we follow him through active carnival grounds the Dardenne behind-the-head shot is kept active by the developing activity of Luke: first he puts on his signature black Metallica shirt -- pay close attention to all of Gosling's clothes in whatever he does, he is a master at evoking character through dress: The Drive Scorpion jacket; the Blue Valentine two-tone leather, I mean, come on giiiiiiirl; and here a red jacket, more nondescript than usual Gosling but still cool -- and then the cigarette comes out, but we only know this from the smoke that rolls back over his shoulders; as he winds though the dinging rides and flashing booths he is crowned by the chintzy glamour of the multicolored lights, and this is just so right, because this is what the character is: the smoking, brooding carnival king who will ride his motorcycle like no other into the burning twilight of legend; but the shot doesn't stop, he enters a buzzing tent just as he is announced by the ponytailed MC; he mounts his bike next to two other riders; the camera moves back and forth across his badass face, the first time we see it; he has a cross tattooed below his left eye and some erratic squiggly writing below his neck -- still no cut -- and then the three riders enter a porous metal sphere, and they're off; is it Gosling in there riding loops with the other two? Is this possible? There is no way that the filmmakers would risk their star in such a way, but it was all so seamless! The character is already a legend, already fused with his bike and cemented in the pantheon of mythic motorcycle rebels.

The rest of his section is more of the same beautiful Gosling brooding and motorcycle riding. I hear he learned to ride the bike for the role, as he should have. This role is a mix between McQueen in The Getaway and some '80s metal head kids I used to know at summer camp. Yes, please, more of this. Look at how he smokes; look at the other t-shirts he wears inside out; look at the holes! Look at how he dances with the little dog; look at the homoerotic relationship with his partner in crime. The only thing that killed me was that he has to challenge a black dude for the love of his child's mother. It suddenly made it clear that the black dude should be the outsider, the challenger, the misunderstood outlaw. But this is not Gosling's doing; he played the role to a T. Look at the funny glasses he wears when he robs banks, green on the sides; look at the writing on the bike before he paints it black; Gosling touches, all, I'm sure of it.

The rest of the film is great, but the following two sections can't hope to burn with the same intensity of the Gosling section, they're not designed that way. It's not the actors' faults, it's just that Gosling was cast as the shooting star, and he sucked up all the oxygen. I could watch that first section over and over and over and over. Because it portrays a character who is beautiful because he has a ticking clock around his neck, he's every James Dean-style kid, every burning hot rock star, Lenny Bruce mother, who speaks with his motorcycle and his style: the intelligence of style and behavior. A behavioral and sartorial genius.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BFguF3gf-vU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 04-05-13 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is opening at one theater in Houston this weekend so I'll try to catch it.
Old 04-07-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is an excellent movie and my favorite so far of 2013. I wouldn't call this a complaint, but goddamn are Cianfrance's movies depressing. The story spans a 15-20 year time period and is basically split up into 3 sections. Gosling's character, Luke, is first. Luke could be a brother to the Driver. They are quiet characters prone to violent outbursts.
The second portion of the story is Bradley Cooper's character, a cop named Avery Cross. This is another great performance by Cooper.
The final portion of the story is between Luke and Avery's teenage sons.
There are some great supporting roles as well, most notably Ray Liotta as a crooked cop. No one plays a bad cop better. Ben Mendelsohn was also great as Robin.
I thought the directing was excellent and the story engaging, although I agree the last section ran alittle long and ran out of steam a bit. Could have used some trimming. Excellent acting by a really good cast, some beautiful cinematography as well.

If you have the chance to see this, please do so. You won't regret it.

Grade: A-
Old 04-12-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

I thought it was okay.
Old 04-12-13, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I thought it was okay.
Great review.
Old 04-12-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

If you want to know more:

The movie starts off strong, and begins to drag at the halfway point. I appreciate that numerous points of view are explored but the actual story and way it's executed didn't appeal to me overall.
Old 04-12-13, 09:23 PM

Cianfrance is just another in a long line of shit indie filmmakers trying to pass themselves of as artists by aping the serious artistes they pretended to like in their sadly vacuous formative years.
Old 04-13-13, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, god. You're back. Lol. Seriously though where did you go?
Old 04-15-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Thought it was great. Although the trailer is very misleading, the trailer and movie are night and day, but I guess they can't show
Spoiler:
the teens
in the trailer or they spoil a big part of the movie. I especially liked the kid that played AJ. When Jason
Spoiler:
goes into the pharmacy to steal the oxy I actually said out loud, Oh, no Jason

I kept thinking about Cooper's character,
Spoiler:
uh, I thought he was supposed to be a good guy. He's as corrupt as they get, power hungry, will do anything to get his way. He's like the ultimate bad guy with an occasional ray of hope. I found it very odd that he just went in guns ablazing, Luke would have turned himself in, the shot was just a reflex. And when he's in the hospital just lying through his teeth about announcing himself.

Very well acted.

Did anybody see this???

"(March 2013) New York City: Announces that he plans to take an unspecified "break" from acting because he feels as if he has "lost perspective on what I'm doing.""

After one of his best films is released??

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-15-13 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 05:31 AM

That quote is in reference to Gosling fyi. And it is not too far fetched. He has put out a lot of work over the last 3 years. Needs some time to refresh.
Old 04-15-13, 08:51 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Cianfrance is just another in a long line of shit indie filmmakers trying to pass themselves of as artists by aping the serious artistes they pretended to like in their sadly vacuous formative years.
Loved Blue Valentine. I guess I like "shit indie filmmakers."

And...why are you even posting in this thread? You're not adding anything to the discussion.

Last edited by EddieMoney; 04-15-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Saw this Friday. Loved it. Completely different then the trailers made it out to be, which was a pleasant surprise.

The acting and direction were pitch perfect, but I think what struck me the most was how real it felt. I suppose my own relationship with my father was very similar to what happens with a couple of the characters, hence the realness. That being said, there is an earnestness that really shines through what could have easily been sappy drama.

One other observation I made, my theater clearly had no idea what to think. I was in a packed house and they were expecting something more akin to a edge of your seat crime thriller. There were a couple of walk-outs, a lot of bitching a couple rows behind me and the woman who had her dog next to me couldn't figure out who any of the characters were. Her quote to her husband, "I am confused, are the two guys on the motorcycles the same? *Slight pause*, It was a flashback right?" Overall, I think the people without expectations enjoyed the film. Myself included.

ETA - I own Blue Valentine, which sounds like I need to actually sit down and watch it.
Old 04-15-13, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait. Why the fuck did the bitch have a dog...in the theater?
Old 04-15-13, 10:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Mike Patton (Faith No More, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, Fantomas, Mondo Cane, Lovage, etc.) did the score for this. I've listened to most of it.
Old 04-15-13, 10:11 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Double feature with Air Bud.
Old 04-15-13, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton
Saw this Friday. Loved it. Completely different then the trailers made it out to be, which was a pleasant surprise.

The acting and direction were pitch perfect, but I think what struck me the most was how real it felt. I suppose my own relationship with my father was very similar to what happens with a couple of the characters, hence the realness. That being said, there is an earnestness that really shines through what could have easily been sappy drama.

One other observation I made, my theater clearly had no idea what to think. I was in a packed house and they were expecting something more akin to a edge of your seat crime thriller. There were a couple of walk-outs, a lot of bitching a couple rows behind me and the woman who had her dog next to me couldn't figure out who any of the characters were. Her quote to her husband, "I am confused, are the two guys on the motorcycles the same? *Slight pause*, It was a flashback right?" Overall, I think the people without expectations enjoyed the film. Myself included.

ETA - I own Blue Valentine, which sounds like I need to actually sit down and watch it.
I don't understand why people like this even go to the movies.
Old 04-15-13, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Clearly she was blind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.