Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

i have zero idea who she is, but she's cute.
Old 03-07-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In the thumbnail I thought she looked a bit like Julianne Hough.
Old 03-08-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

MARCH 08, 2016 9:25am PT by Borys Kit
'New Girl' Star Jake Johnson Joins Tom Cruise in 'The Mummy' (Exclusive)

New Girl star Jake Johnson has joined The Mummy, the Universal Studios tentpole that is serving as the gateway into the studio’s cinematic monster universe.

The comedic actor, who was a scene-stealer in his first tentpole, Universal’s Jurassic World, is joining a roll call that already includes Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella while Annabella Wallis is in talks to also board the project.

The storyline is set in the modern day with Cruise’s character to be a special forces soldier (or former soldier), sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Wallis, one of the stars of British gangster show Peaky Blinders, is to be a scientist while Boutella, who had a breakout role in Kingsman: The Secret Service, is in talks to play the titular role.

In a role was written specifically for him, Johnson will play a member of the military.

Alex Kurtzman is directing the movie, headed for a April start, and is producing Mummy with Chris Morgan and Sean Daniel.

Johnson’s other feature credits include comedies 21 Jump Street, Neighbors, and a starring turn in Let’s Be Cops.

He is repped by UTA, 3 Arts Entertainment and Jackoway Tyerman.

Executive vp Jon Mone and vp Jay Polidoro are oversee production on behalf of Universal.
Old 03-08-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet a lot of his special dialogue will have him cracking wise.
Old 03-09-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
i have zero idea who she is, but she's cute.
She's great in "Peaky Blinders".

I still can't believe Tom Cruise is in this.
Old 05-04-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Russell Crowe in Talks to Join Tom Cruise in ‘The Mummy’ Reboot
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter
@krolljvar

MAY 4, 2016 | 12:09PM PT
Universal may have found the next A-lister to join its monster movie universe.

Russell Crowe is in early talks to play a Dr. Jekyll-type role, with the character first making an appearance in “The Mummy” starring Tom Cruise, sources tell Variety.

While other actors — like Johnny Depp in “The Invisible Man” — will first appear in standalone projects, insiders say some of the classic characters will make cameos in “The Mummy” as a means of launching spinoff franchises.

“The Mummy” is set to bow on June 9, 2017.

The studio tapped Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan last summer to help develop a monster universe for Universal with rebooted versions of the studio’s classic monster movies. Kurtzman is also on board to direct, and will produce alongside Morgan and Sean Daniel.

As of right now, Crowe would only appear in “The Mummy” but the hope down the road is of a possible stand-alone pic for the character giving Crowe a rare franchise that he has normally stayed away from in the past. Details are still being worked out but the character in the script had always been pegged as having a smaller role but using the film to launch a possible franchise for the studio’s new monster universe.

Crowe can be seen next in Warner Bros. action comedy “The Nice Guys” opposite Ryan Gosling. He is repped by WME.
Old 05-04-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

nm, devilshalo beat me to it.
Old 12-01-16, 08:30 AM

Received 4,600 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Teaser for a trailer that comes out on Sunday:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9-LFZCF_zTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-01-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with the poster that its weird Cruise is involved with this movie. Unless he has some deal to play a larger role in the overall Monster Cinematic Universe. At one point he was being looked at for the role of Tony Stark, so maybe he wants his own little cinematic universe to play within.

I actually like the idea of Russel Crowe as Dr. Jekyl and will be interested to see that play out. The chick playing the Mummy is weird. She was fine in Kingsmen, but was a complete meh in Star Trek Beyond. I am not seeing any particularly great acting skills other than simply looking different.

I think this movie will do fine, but not set the box office on fire. The other Mummy movies are still too recent in memory (and they were a real mixed bag).
Old 12-01-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Tom Cruise likes to run. A lot.
Old 12-01-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

That's how he stays fit.
Old 12-01-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,076 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I agree with the poster that its weird Cruise is involved with this movie. Unless he has some deal to play a larger role in the overall Monster Cinematic Universe. At one point he was being looked at for the role of Tony Stark, so maybe he wants his own little cinematic universe to play within.
I keep hearing how this is part of a new cinematic universe but Universal seems to be doing a real shitty job of making sure the audience knows this. With Marvel and DC, people know that every movie is part of a larger universe. How many people know that this is supposed to connect with Dracula: Untold or any other upcoming classic monster remake?

If nothin else, Cruise can ride the Mission: Impossible franchise until the day he dies!
Old 12-01-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I wonder when will Cruise do another Magnolia, Born on the 4th of July, Eyes Wide Shut, Color of Money, Rain Man type performance?
It's been 12 years since Collateral, hope he does something like that soon. Like him or not the guy can actually act.
Old 12-01-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I keep hearing how this is part of a new cinematic universe but Universal seems to be doing a real shitty job of making sure the audience knows this. With Marvel and DC, people know that every movie is part of a larger universe. How many people know that this is supposed to connect with Dracula: Untold or any other upcoming classic monster remake?

If nothin else, Cruise can ride the Mission: Impossible franchise until the day he dies!
This doesn't connect to Dracula, at least from what i've seen online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...17_film_series)

So as the first entry in the series, there's nothing to tell audiences as far as the bigger universe yet. Especially since we don't even have the first official trailer for this movie yet either.
Old 12-01-16, 02:41 PM

Received 4,600 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Originally, the plan was to have Dracula Untold connect. But due to the reception and box office, it seems plans changed. There doesn't seem to have been a definitive answer though.
Old 12-01-16, 04:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's how he stays fit.
Mission POSSIBLE. How funny it would be that Universal creates a monsters universe franchise that's more successful than DC's. Or at least of better quality.
Old 12-01-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Originally, the plan was to have Dracula Untold connect. But due to the reception and box office, it seems plans changed. There doesn't seem to have been a definitive answer though.
Which is stupid since it topped 217 million worldwide on a 70 million budget.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dracula.htm
Old 12-01-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 12-01-16, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
What's his longest one shot run in a film? Is it the one in MI3?
Old 12-01-16, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I think that, originally, Dracula Untold was meant to be a standalone film (or first entry in a new Dracula series?), but Universal started developing their Monster Universe around the time it was being made and they stuck a new ending onto it that could be used to fit it into their MU.

Then they sort of backed away from including it after the film had a lukewarm reception. I don't think they've made a decision either way, so it's still in flux as to whether DU is in or out.
Old 12-01-16, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Which is stupid since it topped 217 million worldwide on a 70 million budget.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dracula.htm
It's not that stupid, given how bad the reviews were. And even though it made money, it doesn't mean it was popular - why bother referencing a movie and characters that few people saw if you're trying to build a bigger universe?

But who knows, the plan doesn't seem like they're going to go back to Dracula anytime soon so maybe they'll change their minds later on but it seems like they're trying to get much bigger actor names for these movies based on current casting, like Cruise, Crowe, and Depp.
Old 12-01-16, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's not that stupid, given how bad the reviews were. And even though it made money, it doesn't mean it was popular - why bother referencing a movie and characters that few people saw if you're trying to build a bigger universe?

But who knows, the plan doesn't seem like they're going to go back to Dracula anytime soon so maybe they'll change their minds later on but it seems like they're trying to get much bigger actor names for these movies based on current casting, like Cruise, Crowe, and Depp.

Money talks, though. Look at the fucking transformer movies. Horrid fucking reviews - all of them - they made shitloads of money and we're getting a new one. Same concept with Dracula Untold. It was really popular outside of the USA, as well.
Old 12-01-16, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

That's also Michael Bay doing whatever he wants. I'm fine with them rebooting Dracula, but Untold was just plain bad and showed no signs of having a future to it. I'm also still pissed they marketed it as sort of a live action Castlevania, then we got that.
Old 12-01-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
That's also Michael Bay doing whatever he wants. I'm fine with them rebooting Dracula, but Untold was just plain bad and showed no signs of having a future to it. I'm also still pissed they marketed it as sort of a live action Castlevania, then we got that.

I liked it and they set it up for a sequel, so it really isn't too late to incorporate it into this new universe. There's more than enough time to do it right. Here's hoping.
Old 12-01-16, 11:08 PM
Banned by request

I know they set it up, but I felt absolutely nothing for it. I think a fresh start would be more practical at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.