Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i don't think i would call Farrell or especially Diesel B or C list. Brody hasn't done much after his Oscar, but i see where you're getting at...
I would toss Farrell and Diesel in the B camp. Other than the F&F franchise, pretty much everything else Diesel does fails.
Old 04-02-17, 08:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I would toss Farrell and Diesel in the B camp. Other than the F&F franchise, pretty much everything else Diesel does fails.
Well, he is part of Guardians franchise. Done some credible voice over work (The Iron Giant), Pitch Black and Riddick franchise. Sure, he doesn't do Oscar caliber type stuff, but B list?, I dunno...

Farrell is doing great indie stuff and got acclaim for Lobster. Did Fantastic Beasts, Minority Report, I would keep him high on a list...
Old 04-03-17, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Well, he is part of Guardians franchise. Done some credible voice over work (The Iron Giant), Pitch Black and Riddick franchise. Sure, he doesn't do Oscar caliber type stuff, but B list?, I dunno...

Farrell is doing great indie stuff and got acclaim for Lobster. Did Fantastic Beasts, Minority Report, I would keep him high on a list...
Considering he has a single line that he delivers over and over as Groot, I don't think anyone would care if he plays the part or not. People love Groot the character, not Vin in that role (voice). I'll give him the Riddick movies though. Even though the second one was a flop ($58 million domestic gross with a $105 million budget) and the last one barely made back it's budget, he's pretty good in that role. Let's not even talk about XxX...

That being said, I'll check this out once it hits blu ray. Our family just got done watching the Fraser Mummy trilogy and they loved it. I'll admit, the first one still holds up pretty good and the second one isn't bad either. The third one though, holy shit was that bad.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 04-03-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Diesel is an A-list (well-known) B-actor (stuck in a genre)

I don't think he had nearly as much pull with Guardians as he thinks he did.
Old 04-03-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

This isn't really a reboot.

It's just another movie about a mummy.
Old 04-03-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Kind of. It's creating a new universe of Universal monsters, right? Possibly alongside the recent Dracula origin movie (I think they're improvising right now). Summers' Mummy was also also a take on the Universal Mummy property.

Do I have all of this right?
Old 04-03-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Kind of. It's creating a new universe of Universal monsters, right? Possibly alongside the recent Dracula origin movie (I think they're improvising right now). Summers' Mummy was also also a take on the Universal Mummy property.

Do I have all of this right?
"Dracula Untold" will NOT be part of the new universe.
Old 04-04-17, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Tom Cruise is one of my favorite, most reliable, actors but it just seems so odd that he was cast in this. I mean, more power to Universal for landing him (and Crowe, for that matter) but this definitely seems like it should star a B or C list actor like Colin Farrell or Adrien Brody...maybe Vin Diesel.
I think it was purely because Uni needs to get their Monsterverse off the ground with a strong success, and paying Tom Cruise tons of money to Tom Cruise it up and deliver an action/horror film is likely to generate solid results here and big business overseas. Putting in a B- or C-level actor would guarantee this to be another forgotten mid-level performer.
Old 04-04-17, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I think it was purely because Uni needs to get their Monsterverse off the ground with a strong success, and paying Tom Cruise tons of money to Tom Cruise it up and deliver an action/horror film is likely to generate solid results here and big business overseas. Putting in a B- or C-level actor would guarantee this to be another forgotten mid-level performer.
I guess the question now is how they're going to create this horror universe. If they're eventually going to "Avengers" these movies I certainly can't see Cruise sharing screen time with several other horror protagonists.
Old 04-04-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I guess the question now is how they're going to create this horror universe. If they're eventually going to "Avengers" these movies I certainly can't see Cruise sharing screen time with several other horror protagonists.
Why would they need him until they get to that point of all the monsters getting together? They introduce Jekyll so that maybe Crowe can be the one to be the Nick Fury of this universe.
Old 04-04-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cruise with his typical line from almost every movie..."stay with me!"
Old 04-04-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I'm calling it now: Boutella's mummy character will curse Tom Cruise by the end of the film and he will become the new mummy. I say this, because if they're introducing all of the monsters then a team-up is inevitable.
Old 04-04-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well i am still trying to grasp at the angle they are playing in the trailer showing Cruise dying. That would certainly point to him being the new Mummy by the end of the film, however i was thinking that maybe they would be setting him up to be some kind of Van Helsing character that would be brought back to take on the whole Monster Squad. Guess we will have to wait and see.

At this stage i am not sure how i feel about this movie. Terrible director and a series that i had little interest in the first place, let alone being rebooted. I am also not a huge fan of Boutella, take away her sword legs in Kingsmen and she had little to the character. Also worries me that some of the effects in the trailers hark back to the recent Mummy trilogy (Giant dust/insect face swallowing the heroes as they run away).
Old 04-04-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I've never actually seen Kurtzman direct, but recognize his name.
Old 04-04-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well i am still trying to grasp at the angle they are playing in the trailer showing Cruise dying. .
It seems that death occurs early on. In the latest trailer it says
Spoiler:
he has been chosen by her and that she kept him alive....
Old 04-04-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a
...however i was thinking that maybe they would be setting him up to be some kind of Van Helsing character that would be brought back to take on the whole Monster Squad. Guess we will have to wait and see.
That sounds more like Cruise than becoming The Mummy. But if he does become The Mummy, he can be hidden behind the toilet paper and doesn't necessarily need to commit to future movies.

If the plot follows either path, I think it'll be a good time!
Old 04-04-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the new trailer looks cool. I'll be there opening weekend.
Old 04-04-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
"Dracula Untold" will NOT be part of the new universe.
It was at one point, but they scrapped its inclusion and started over with The Mummy.
Old 05-18-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New trailer. Whoever is behind it, Tom Cruise movies have some of the best stunt framing and choreography right now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngNLw24D3p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The new trailer ends around 2:00.
Old 05-18-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't know Crowe was playing who he is playing. I never looked up the name of the character and figured he would just have a small role. This should be interesting.
Old 05-18-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

This looks okay but I'm not overly excited about it. I kind of wish it wasn't set in present time. Even if they didn't want it in the 30s or whatever like the original Universal films I feel like this would be cooler as a period piece maybe in the 70s or 80s.
Old 05-18-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I'd steer clear of that last trailer -- it's way too spoilerish.
Old 05-18-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
This looks okay but I'm not overly excited about it. I kind of wish it wasn't set in present time. Even if they didn't want it in the 30s or whatever like the original Universal films I feel like this would be cooler as a period piece maybe in the 70s or 80s.
Generally I agree. On the plus side, given it's a Tom Cruise film, should mean some impressive stunt work (by both him and his team).

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'd steer clear of that last trailer -- it's way too spoilerish.
Good to know.
Old 05-18-17, 02:40 PM

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,124 Posts

I'll probably see this in the theatre. But I would more than likely not be bothering if Cruise wasn't in it.
Old 05-18-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I feel like i'll end up seeing this in theaters too because of Cruise.

The trailer above is a bit spoilery, but I don't think it's that bad. Plus I think this kind of movie is more on the spectacle more then some small plot/character details.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.