Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Originally Posted by Groucho
Or maybe, just possibly, it was referring to the town made entirely of China that Oz visits.
And the sign says China Town, not Chinatown.
Old 03-27-13, 12:23 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

This movie definitely has its ups and downs, but overall I really liked it. The performances were generally strong, and I thought Weisz and Williams did a great job. How they got Michelle Williams to look that hot, I don't know. Mila Kunis stumbled out the gate, but greatly improved as the film went on. The freaking monkey was hilarious!

The visual presentation was one of the best I've seen in a theater from a live action film. The colors were striking and the 3D had amazing depth. It made me want to break down and purchase a 3D TV for the Blu-ray release. Pretty awesome movie Sam Raimi.

Edit: Just watched this movie for the second time in 18 hours in IMAX 3D. It played even better this time around.

Last edited by IIG; 03-27-13 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally saw this with my son (11) yesterday. He enjoyed it, I thought it was just average. I did, however, like some of the references to the Wizard of Oz (like the lion being run off and called a coward, and when Wanda visits Oz at the carnival and tells him that Mr. Gale has asked her to marry him - making her Dorothy's mom?)

Something I could not figure out (but not important to the film) - when Oz gets to Oz and is walking around, the camera stays on a pair of squirrels running up a tree. Both seemed to have something on their heads. I thought it was some type of cap - maybe like the tin man. Did anyone see what it was? Since the camera stayed on it for an extended time, I figured it must have been a reference.
Old 03-31-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw this last night and was totally underwhelmed. No Magic or heart, just lots of computer effects and a miscast James Franco.
Old 04-01-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It made no sense to me that
Spoiler:
Mila Kunis's character didn't realize that her sister had lied to her about Oz's behavior. Even if her "goodness" was gone, she still acted like a scorned lover when she already knew her sister was a lying bitch. Makes no sense.

This movie sucked. Some pretty computer graphics, but a lame story, melodramatic nonsense, none of the fun of the original. If it was supposed to be a real sequel to the original, why isn't it a musical? I always thought Sam Raimi was a better director than this.
Old 04-02-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately the theater I went to chose to dim the projection again so I was watching a dark fog. The visuals, that I could see, were amazing.
Old 04-02-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This movie seems to be playing better to kids than adults. No surprises really.

Question:

Spoiler:
Were the wicked witch forms of Kunis and Weisz supposed to be their true forms? Wiesz obviously had her appearance from the amulet. While it was after she drank the potion that Kunis transformed into the witch we know, Weisz offered to use an enchantment to make her appear beautiful, which would obviously come from the amulet as well. Also, the witch stated that she wanted the wizard to see her as she really was.
Old 04-02-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Kunis
Spoiler:
became ugly and stayed that way.
Weizs was ugly but used her device to hide her true form.
Old 04-02-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Honey, you got ugly.."
Old 04-30-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
Isn't the first draft usually the best? We often hear of scripts being re-written by multiple writers, and that's usually a bad sign. I'm sure there are exceptions, but how often do multiple writers who change scripts end up improving it?
The first draft is generally a rough draft, I think you're thinking of the rewrites by other writers studios mandate to "broaden appeal" though, and you're right about that. Watching Bruckheimer movies, you can usually spot the rewrites from a mile off. Robert Towne and Tarantino's bits in Crimson Tide are pretty instantly recognizable, for instance. On the subject of endlessly rewritten screenplays, that one called Nottingham that eventual became the basis for the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie ever kick around online? Apparently it was quite good.
Old 05-25-13, 01:23 PM
En vacance

I saw it with a date. This movie should have been fuckin called Snooze: The Limpdick and Powernapping
Old 05-25-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
I saw it with a date. This movie should have been fuckin called Snooze: The Limpdick and Powernapping
Wow you are just brilliant with the quips.
Old 05-25-13, 01:51 PM
En vacance

Yeah i find that type of humor is better than just being sarcastic.
Old 05-25-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL

sounds like everything after the movie didnt go so well.
Old 06-02-13, 01:18 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Watchable and Franco was good but overall a bit disappointing
Old 06-02-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Desmond! Buddy ol' Pal. This one's for you...

Spoiler:
I'd drop a house on that
Old 06-02-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watched the first 20 minutes but after it goes from black and white into color I turned it off.
Old 06-02-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Desmond! Buddy ol' Pal. This one's for you...

Spoiler:
I'd drop a house on that

I think that was one of the most blatant ass shots in movie history.