Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Originally Posted by Terrell
When I saw this film, I somehow knew it wasn't going to be worth the price of a ticket. It just keeps falling on rottentomatoes.com. By the time all the reviews are in, it won't even be at 50%, and might fall close to 40%.
Dude, is there a movie you do like? Every post you're shit canning flix.
Old 03-07-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
He likes Len Wiseman movies oddly enough.
Old 03-07-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So does the famous Victor Fleming movie have any relation to the Baum novels, or does it just use the basic premise? Do the books have a darker tone or something?
Old 03-07-13, 05:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Star Wars prequels.
Old 03-07-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He used to, now he skull fucks them, too.
Old 03-07-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
...FWIW, I would be willing to bet that had Johnny Depp been cast as Oz before anything else was written, this would be yet another collaboration between him and Burton...
Depp was Raimi's 2nd choice after Robert Downey Jr.
Old 03-07-13, 09:51 PM
Banned

Star Wars.
Old 03-07-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He likes Len Wiseman movies oddly enough.
Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed Live Free Or Die Hard. The best Die Hard sequel in my opinion. I didn't care for Total Recall, although I thought they might do something halfway interesting. They didn't!

However, do me a favor in the future. Don't try and speak for me.

The Star Wars prequels.
LOL! You might want to try again. Most Star Wars fans defended them originally out of blind loyalty. After multiple viewings and time passing, you realize that they aren't very good and pale in comparison to the originals.

Plenty! I just haven't been compelled to comment on them, probably because I haven't been able to go to many movies the last few months. I comment one what interests me at the moment, and at the moment everything I was remotely interested in looks completely shitty. I thoroughly enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty. Although I just saw it just the other day. I'd like to be positive on the new Star Wars films, but I just have a feeling they're going to fuck them up, and Disney is going to whore them out ten times worse than Lucas did.
Old 03-07-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

I enjoyed this. Never read the books, but it has a lot of interesting elements that come together pretty well.
Old 03-08-13, 12:39 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reviews have been horrible, but I have to agree with the reviewer that said The Wizard wasn't some young hipster he should have been cast as Robin Williams or Paul Giamatti. Personally I would have gone for Bill Murray.
Old 03-08-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got back.

Christ, this was BAD. Did Raimi just shoot the first fucking draft he got?

Franco was a horrid lead. Why do people cast him to anchor a film this large? The motherfucker sleepwalks through everything.

Kunis was wayyy too over the top. She's hot as hell, but even that doesn't last long.

Weisz was underdeveloped and unnecessary.

The story had zero organic flow to it; they just connected the dots in every cliche way possible to get us to the "set it up for how we remember the original being" ending.

The visuals were basically Alice In Wonderland 2; nothing impressed.

Might just be Elfman's worst score ever. So fucking lazy, it's clear he isn't even trying at this point.

There's the slightest hint of Raimi's signature style in a few shots, but you'd never know he did this otherwise.

Campbell's cameo was dumb. Ted Raimi's was unnoticeable.

The 3D started off effective, but quickly wound up adding nothing but a surcharge to my ticket. Hardly immersive; it was mostly flat.

Avoid.
Old 03-08-13, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Hmm, glad I didn't see it in 3D then. I do agree that the score was unmemorable, and that Kunis sucked.
Old 03-08-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was okay and far superior in every aspect to the shitfest known as Jack the Giant Slayer.
Old 03-08-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I was just in the right mood for it, but I loved it. I like how it all came together and Franco was cracking me up. The 3D was pretty good too, but not essential (like most cases).
Old 03-08-13, 05:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Maybe I was just in the right mood for it, but I loved it. I like how it all came together and Franco was cracking me up. The 3D was pretty good too, but not essential (like most cases).
I didn't love it, but I was very entertained. I thought though technically the film is amazing in the 3D department and the Dolby Atmos mix which is simply outstanding. If you can't hear it in Atmos, at least check it out in 7.1
Old 03-08-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Saw it. Didn't love either, but I too was entertained. It wasn't all eye-candy with no characters to care about like Alice in Wonderland. The 3D is mostly good, and I loved how it not only transitioned from B/W to color, but from 1:33 to 2:35 as well. Lots of stuff in there for fans of the original Wizard and of the book Wicked as well. That said, this movie still seemed to lack something. I enjoyed all the little Raimi nods, but I can't help but feel this movie doesn't really know its identity that well. Franco did a good job overall, but if he was truly the third choice for the role, it's comes across. Oz was clearly written for someone else, and it sticks in your mind while viewing. I thought the women did well enough with what they had written. Kunis did come across as a weak link at first,
Spoiler:
but I feel she did a much better job at playing the Witch. She seemed to really get into the whole over the top stuff typical of Raimi villains. I also read that she did the laugh on her own without much enhancement. If so, good on her.
I also think the movie tried to borrow a bit too much from Revenge of the Sith in terms of its two villains, but that's just me.
I give it three stars out of four. Doesn't fall to far up on the list of Raimi movies unfortunately. Better than Spider-Man 3, but that doesn't say much. In terms of recent prequels, I would say it's better than the first two Star Wars and maybe a bit below The first Hobbit. Hey, at least it got everything into one movie and didn't make a trilogy.

A little off topic, but does anyone else notice that over the top acting and ham fisted stuff seems a bit common in Raimi movies? I'm not bashing him at all, but aside from A Simple Plan and The Gift, his movies seem like the actors are purposefully trying to act a B-level at times.
Old 03-08-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

This was my 73rd movie since joining MoviePass (Month 5, week 2). This is the FIRST time I don't check my watch at all during a movie. Totally fantastic and spellbinding. Not saying it was the "best" movie but it was just captivating. Saw it on IMAX 3D (for $6.50 out of pocket, $1 out of pocket for 3D, $6.50 for IMAX... if it's in one of those formats, I watch it in one of those formats).

Totally totally awesome movie.
Old 03-08-13, 07:00 PM
Suspended

Knowing how good it could have been is what disappoints me the most.

Robert Downey Jr. has now backed away from Oz: Great And Powerful, the new spin on the Wizard of Oz tale to be directed by Sam Raimi for Disney. Now, according to THR, the studio's house talent Johnny Depp is in early talks to take his place. They've been hoping to start production on the project in the second half of this year, and the real question is if Depp can make room for it with Tim Burton's Dark Shadows, Disney's Jerry Bruckheimer-produced Lone Ranger and possibly more Pirates sequels all shooting within the foreseeable future.

Oz: Great and Powerful is just one of many revisionist takes on Dorothy's adventures in production at the various studios right now, but it was one of the most high-profile, with Rabbit Hole writer David Lindsay-Abaire putting together a rewrite and Disney leaning hard to get the whole thing into production. Even though Downey Jr. seems perfect to play the part of a young, charismatic and maybe a little messy Wizard of Oz, it's not entirely surprising to see him back away-- he played the same game with Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity, eventually getting replaced by George Clooney, and given his commitments to the Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man sequels he seems wary of getting involved in even more giant movies. He's likely been in the industry long enough to know what happens when a star gets overexposed, and is rightly anticipating the inevitable day when the name "Robert Downey Jr." elicits not excitement, but an exhausted shrug.

But you know what's not going to help anything? Replacing Downey Jr., with an actor who's even more exposed, poor Johnny Depp, who seems to be trapped in a widening gyre of franchises and sequels and whatever Tim Burton has drafted him to do next. It's almost as if Robert Downey Jr. saw himself on the Johnny Depp path, figured Oz: Great and Powerful was just another step down the path, and bailed. But if Depp winds up in this one too, we'll know Disney has some seriously damning blackmail against him, or he's busy building a lot of vacation houses in France that he needs to pay for.
Old 03-08-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The average audience rating at Rotten Tomatoes is at 4.1/5 with about 41000 ratings. That sounds pretty good. And it seems to have stabilized on the tomatometer at 60%.

Reading some of the critics' reviews, a few are harsh and many are mixed, but there are still quite a few that have some very nice things to say about the film. I'm still stoked to see it.
Old 03-08-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else think that
Spoiler:
the Witch of the West shared a lot of characteristics with the Green Goblin?
Old 03-08-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disney is already going ahead with a sequel, that Raimi has passed on. I'm not even sure how this translates to a franchise, but that's Disney for you.

http://collider.com/sam-raimi-oz-the...werful-sequel/
Old 03-08-13, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
This was my 73rd movie since joining MoviePass (Month 5, week 2). This is the FIRST time I don't check my watch at all during a movie. Totally fantastic and spellbinding. Not saying it was the "best" movie but it was just captivating. Saw it on IMAX 3D (for $6.50 out of pocket, $1 out of pocket for 3D, $6.50 for IMAX... if it's in one of those formats, I watch it in one of those formats).

Totally totally awesome movie.
I've noticed you have terrible taste in films so thanks for the warning.
Old 03-08-13, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I've noticed you have terrible taste in films so thanks for the warning.
Hey, if putting someone down with an unwarranted personal attack because they do not share the same likes or dislikes as you makes your day a little brighter, happy to oblige.
Old 03-08-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Hey, if putting someone down with an unwarranted personal attack because they do not share the same likes or dislikes as you makes your day a little brighter, happy to oblige.
Old 03-08-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,184 Likes on 922 Posts

I was actually really surprised with this movie. I didn't think I would really care for it much but my dad wanted to see it and I had some curiosity so went tonight. I liked it a lot, really a fun movie in my opinion. It wasn't perfect but it was Disney magic at it's best if you ask me and was really entertaining. James Franco was good in it too and I'm usually not a big fan of him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.