Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny boppers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny boppers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny bop

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
I saw the screening from last night. Not my type. Too much tits and @ss in there.
Are you a balls and shaft man? Or you just didn't like the tits and ass they showed? What consistency were the tits?
Old 03-15-13, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny bop

Was there any straight man on man action, though?
Old 03-15-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Is it just me or did Harmony Korine simply watch TRUE ROMANCE and think he could remake it with a younger version of the Gary Oldman character (Drexel) as the protagonist and three times as many hot babes to join him? That's the vibe I get from the trailer.
Old 03-15-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Is it just me or did Harmony Korine simply watch TRUE ROMANCE and think he could remake it with a younger version of the Gary Oldman character (Drexel) as the protagonist and three times as many hot babes to join him? That's the vibe I get from the trailer.
New tagline:

"During spring break, it's white boy day every day"
Old 03-15-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Was there any straight man on man action, though?
No, but there were some girl on girl scenes that would get Giantrobo set for a month. :P
Old 03-15-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
A good review from Edelstein confirming what we all expected from this exploitation flick...

NYMag Review
Old 03-21-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Movie is hovering with a respectable 74% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not bad.
Old 03-21-13, 08:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thinking I might catch this tomorrow before work.
Old 03-22-13, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

got back from a midnight screening. may be one of the oddest movies ive ever seen. i don't know if Harmony wanted to make an art movie (complete with voice overs about life and shit) or if he wanted to make a pure exploitation movie w as much T&A/partying, drug use ect.

I agree on Franco pretty much playing Drexel from True Romance (but not as a pimp)

also
Spoiler:
Selena Gomez's character Faith decides half way through the movie she isn't having fun any more and leaves to go home, never to be seen again.
(not a huge spoiler but as a notice
Old 03-22-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I cannot wait to see this. Love the good reviews it's getting, too.

Can't fucking believe a Harmony Korine movie is in over 1,000 theaters.
Old 03-22-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
also
Spoiler:
Selena Gomez's character Faith decides half way through the movie she isn't having fun any more and leaves to go home, never to be seen again.
(not a huge spoiler but as a notice
That's not a dealbreaker for me but it is a shame that they
Spoiler:
made her the Jet Li of the group.
Old 03-22-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by filmerp
No, but there were some girl on girl scenes that would get Giantrobo set for a month. :P
Not unless they were 40 lbs. heavier than the leads.
Old 03-22-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I cannot wait to see this. Love the good reviews it's getting, too.

Can't fucking believe a Harmony Korine movie is in over 1,000 theaters.
stunt casting ex disney stars paid off! (ironically no studio wanted it after it debut'd at cannes, hense why an unknown studio picked it up)
Old 03-23-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks gorgeous. It sounds phenomenal. However, Harmony Korine shows no restraint yet again and the film falls victim to his own self indulgence and pretentiousness. What on paper sounds like an exciting and fun film is very boring and tedious instead.

From the audience reactions I heard afterwards, mainstream audiences are going to hate this film.
Old 03-23-13, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not unless they were 40 lbs. heavier than the leads.
That's about right, if you combined the weight of the three leads.
Old 03-23-13, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It looks gorgeous. It sounds phenomenal. However, Harmony Korine shows no restraint yet again and the film falls victim to his own self indulgence and pretentiousness. What on paper sounds like an exciting and fun film is very boring and tedious instead.

From the audience reactions I heard afterwards, mainstream audiences are going to hate this film.
ive seen several on twitter saying 'that was the worst movie i've ever seen'
Old 03-23-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

<---Just got a whole lot more interested.
Old 03-23-13, 08:42 AM

saw this last evening and here was what I heard as people were leaving the theatre. This movie sucked, that should have gone straight to dvd, that was horrible and then my favorite, That would have still sucked renting it at redbox with a coupon. I thought it had great lighting and photography and reminded me of the tree of life, great photography,lighting,voiceovers. Basically just a bunch of photos trying to make a story.
Old 03-23-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this today and was in a theatre of about 4 other people. Disappointing.

As for the movie, I really liked it. As a Floridian who has lived here over 20 years, I can tell you the movie captured it well. This movie dethrones Scarface as the movie that defines Florida.

James Franco deserves an Oscar nomination. I mean he won't get it but he deserves it because he totally transformed into the character. Not a single moment did I feel like I was watching James Franco.

Very good movie.
Old 03-23-13, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scarface defined Florida? I thought it just defined the excess of the 80s?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-23-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
As a Floridian who has lived here over 20 years, I can tell you the movie captured it well. This movie dethrones Scarface as the movie that defines Florida.

James Franco deserves an Oscar nomination. I mean he won't get it but he deserves it because he totally transformed into the character. Not a single moment did I feel like I was watching James Franco.
It's funny that you mentioned the comment about Florida. My wife compared the cinematography to that of Drive which is a film that I feel defines Los Angeles. I'd argue that Spring Breakers' cinematography is the best thing it has going for it. A Korine film shouldn't look this beautiful.

Completely agree with you on the Franco bit. He did a better here than in all of Oz.
Old 03-23-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Scarface defined Florida? I thought it just defined the excess of the 80s?
There really aren't too many movies that are even shot in Florida. Scarface is always the one that comes to mind when talking about Florida movies.

It's funny that you mentioned the comment about Florida. My wife compared the cinematography to that of Drive which is a film that I feel defines Los Angeles. I'd argue that Spring Breakers' cinematography is the best thing it has going for it. A Korine film shouldn't look this beautiful.

Completely agree with you on the Franco bit. He did a better here than in all of Oz.
Interesting comparison to Drive but I would argue that while Drive screamed 80's this one was almost purely 90's. Growing up on the west coast of Florida near Tampa, we all knew someone like Franco. A lot of people there acted, dressed and talked like him. Little touches like the Camaro Z28 and playing Britney Spears songs seemed to really hit the nail on the head.

Spoiler:
Also, there was always the talk about the wannabe gangsters in Florida and how they're nothing to compared to the real gangsters in NY, Chicago or LA. And then the finale happens when Benson and Hudgens take out Gucci Mane's gang, and I just had to laugh.

I read that Korine spent some time in Florida and I think it stayed with him. He captured it real well.
Old 03-23-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Spoiler:
Also, there was always the talk about the wannabe gangsters in Florida and how they're nothing to compared to the real gangsters in NY, Chicago or LA. And then the finale happens when Benson and Hudgens take out Gucci Mane's gang, and I just had to laugh.
I feel the comparison in Drive in regards to cinematography is valid. From the film's opening sequence with the getaway to the "A Real Hero" montage, the film makes you feel like you're actually in Los Angeles. Spring Breakers has that same feel for Florida. However, there were moments that captured the '80s (a la Drive) and one of them had to be my favorite shot of the film:

Spoiler:
When Franco, Benson, and Hudgens arrive on the pier before the final shoot out.
Old 03-23-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Saw this with very low expectations just because of MoviePass and I see ALL movies that come out (for $30 a month), an was very surprised at how much I liked it. Franco was just unbelievably unrecognizable in a good way (although he kept reminding me of K-Fed just because of the way he looked, just on physical appearance ).
Old 03-23-13, 07:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Q: How do you know somebody has MoviePass?

A: Because they'll fucking TELL YOU.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.