Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's had a better acting career, Sean Penn or Nicolas Cage?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who has had a better acting career?
Nicolas Cage
40.00%
Sean Penn
60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Who's had a better acting career, Sean Penn or Nicolas Cage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Who's had a better acting career, Sean Penn or Nicolas Cage?

I think Penn's a better actor and has a better overall quality to his films, but if given a choice I would always opt to watch a Cage film. There is just something to be said for being entertaining, and Cage's films have that going for them at least.
Old 03-18-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
But I'd take Cage by a hair.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

I think Penn is the better actor and has less crap. Cage seems to play the same person in almost all of his movies, and he isn't someone that I can see on the poster and have a good idea that I'm going to like the film.
Old 03-18-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Sean Penn over Nicolas Coppola anytime.
Some of my faves :
Mystic River
Carlito's Way
The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Dead Man Walking
The Falcon & the Snowman
21 Grams
State of Grace
At Close Range
Casualties of War
The Thin Red Line

And let's not even get into Penn as a director 4 for 4 in my book (The Indian Runner, The Crossing Guard, The Pledge, Into The Wild).
Old 03-18-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I've seen a single movie with Sean Penn in it. I have enjoyed movies with Cage in it so he wins. He'd win on Con Air alone.
Old 03-18-12, 10:51 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cage is the only modern day actor of the last couple of years who appears in kind-of movies, and wings his performances (w/ the exception of Bad Lieutenant) and yet... is still strangely likable through all of it and thus heck my favorite modern actor fake ass wig bedamned. I do enjoy his more escapist flicks his career has turned to.
Old 03-18-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this isn't even close. Cage has did way too many crappy films where he was pretty crappy too.

Penn has had a few misfires but nothing like Cage.
Old 03-18-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean Penn has a better average but then again he does more mediocre Oscar Bait films which are showcases for great performances but not great filmmaking as opposed to Cage who has made a lot of shitty studio films that would suck and no one would be talking about the performances even if Helen Mirren or Laurience Olivier were in his place. The half dozen or so Cage performances I like I think the films will hold up in time as classics. I think Penn has a ton of performances that will hold up but I can't think of a single film of his that will hold up on its own over time where he has a substantial role besides Fast Times.
Old 03-19-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Howie2000
I think Penn has a ton of performances that will hold up but I can't think of a single film of his that will hold up on its own over time where he has a substantial role besides Fast Times.
Dead Man Walking
Carlito's Way
Milk
21 Grams
At Close Range
Sweet and Lowdown
State of Grace
Old 03-19-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like films from each guy. Penn is the better actor, although overrated in my opinion. Cage is responsible for a lot of shitty movies. On a personal note, both seem like giant dicks.
So in conclusion, fuck the two of them.
Old 03-19-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better actor Penn, better career Cage.
Old 03-19-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always liked Nic Cage movies for the most part. He's had a hell of a lot of stinkers but Sean Penn doesn't do much for me. I'm not saying I don't like the guy, but if I had to pick one of the two it'd be Cage.
Old 03-19-12, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,029 Likes on 848 Posts

Con Air is high cheese but a guilty pleasure for me. And I'd add the National Treasure films to the popcorn list. But I'd vote for Penn.
Old 03-19-12, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nic Cage for me. Sure he's made a lot of dreck, but most of it is easily avoidable (really, if you wasted your time watching Season of the Witch or The Sorcerer's Apprentice, you have only yourself to blame).

Love:
Matchstick Men
The Rock
Raising Arizona

Enjoy:
National Treasure 1&2
Lord of War
8MM
Face/Off
Valley Girl
Kick-Ass

I browsed Penn's filmography, and didn't find any films I love (his role in The Thin Red Line is tiny).
Old 03-19-12, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Con Air, The Weather Man, and Gone in 60 Seconds are good?
I really like the first two and the third is good for at least a watch. The Weather Man is seriously under-appreciated and Cage gives a really good performance. Too bad it didn't make any traction when it was released. If the Best Actor category hadn't already been stacked that year with five top notch performances, Cage's presence in the category for this film would have been great.

I think Cage has had the better career (although, lately, he has starred in some really crappy films one after the other), but Penn is the better actor.

Favorite performances from Penn:

At Close Range - probably his best, IMO
Colors
Carlito's Way
Dead Man Walking
The Thin Red Line
Sweet and Lowdown
I Am Sam
21 Grams
Mystic River
This Must Be the Place

I think his work in Milk is pretty overrated and, IMO, is actually a slightly toned down version of his I Am Sam performance...

Favorite performances from Cage:

-Raising Arizona
-Moonstruck
-Wild at Heart
-Leaving Las Vegas
-Face/Off
-Bringing out the Dead
-Adaptation.
-Matchstick Men
-The Weather Man
-The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
Old 03-19-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I like films from each guy. Penn is the better actor, although overrated in my opinion. Cage is responsible for a lot of shitty movies. On a personal note, both seem like giant dicks.
So in conclusion, fuck the two of them.
This.

On another note, I think "The Weather Man" is really underrated.
Old 03-19-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Penn may have a better quality career, but I guarantee you Cage has had a more fun career. Who cares about quality - if they keep paying you and you enjoy it, make whatever movies you want.
Old 03-19-12, 02:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Penn. Cage has way too many stinkers he did for the paycheck on his resume.
Old 03-19-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Penn takes himself way too seriously and, in my opinion, that colors his performances and choice of roles, so Cage gets points simply for not taking himself too seriously. Maybe if Penn made movies like GHOST RIDER and IRON MAN (like Downey), I'd like him better.
Old 03-19-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 453 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Penn takes himself way too seriously and, in my opinion, that colors his performances and choice of roles, so Cage gets points simply for not taking himself too seriously. Maybe if Penn made movies like GHOST RIDER and IRON MAN (like Downey), I'd like him better.
You must have hated DeNiro up until the last 20 years.
Old 03-19-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Maybe if Penn made movies like GHOST RIDER I'd like him better.

So if me makes a piece of shit comic book movie where he phones in his performance, you'd like him better?
Old 03-19-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sean Penn is one of those guys whose personal life ruins his acting persona for me (see Russell Crowe) - the Madonna thing, the press fights, the third World savior act have all colored my opinion of him as an actor over the years. However, as a director, I find his films superlative, and if anyone ever asks me for a recommendation for something off the grid, I recommend any one of his four films.

I've always found Nicholas Cage to be a tremendously likeable guy, whose offscreen life and talent have morphed into a goofy brilliance that is compelling even at his least committed. So, for me it's Nick Cage
Old 03-20-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
You must have hated DeNiro up until the last 20 years.
De Niro was great in his great Scorsese movies--MEAN STREETS, TAXI DRIVER, RAGING BULL, GOODFELLAS and his early De Palma movies--GREETINGS and HI MOM, not to mention THE DEER HUNTER. But he never took himself too seriously, never talked too much off-camera--in fact he hardly ever talked at all---and never put himself in the center of causes. He just got up there, made a great movie occasionally, and worked for the paycheck the rest of the time. I don't have to see him in ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE or any of his other dreck, but I can watch GOODFELLAS any time I want. If Penn had done anything comparable to MEAN STREETS et al, I'd be a lot easier on him.

Take George Clooney...please! He's proven his movie star chops and made entertaining movies and I'd love to see him in a western. He does take himself too seriously off-camera and keeps inserting himself into causes, but he's done enough of the kinds of high-profile star projects that I've enjoyed to varying degrees--e.g. ONE FINE DAY, OUT OF SIGHT, THREE KINGS, OCEAN'S ELEVEN, O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU, BURN AFTER READING, heck, even FROM DUSK TILL DAWN deserves some props--all of the type that Penn would never do, that I tend to give Clooney a pass. I can ignore Clooney's off-camera blather when he turns in an effortless star performance in stuff like OUT OF SIGHT or THREE KINGS. And when he does a serious personal project, it's a worthy effort like GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, which I thought was at least very good. I haven't even seen Penn's directorial efforts because they all sound like such slogs to sit through. (Although I do need to see INDIAN RUNNER for Charles Bronson.)

Maybe I'm being unfair to Penn, but there's something about him that just turns me off from the get-go. And I always found his Spicoli extremely obnoxious and deserving of a swift kick in the ass.
Old 03-20-12, 01:26 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
So if me makes a piece of shit comic book movie where he phones in his performance, you'd like him better?
Cage somehow fits in this b-movie style in a way, he's definitely going into a Vincent Price territory now which makes it better, aka Season of the Witch, Nat'l treasure, Ghost Rdier, Sorceror's Apprentice. I hope he continues on! In fact he should play the main in the next I Am Legend.
Old 03-20-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Penn is the better actor because he is able to transform himself into different roles. We usually get the same ole crazy eyed Nic or bland Nic in his movies.

Carlitos Way is a prime example of Penn's amazing transformation and acting ability. He totally sold me on that character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.