Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Erland Josephson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Erland Josephson

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP Erland Josephson

If you clicked on the thread then you're probably familiar with the name and the work, but just in case:

Swedish actor Erland Josephson, who collaborated with legendary film director Ingmar Bergman in more than 40 films and plays, has died. He was 88. The award-winning actor died at a Stockholm hospital on Saturday following a long battle against Parkinson’s disease, said Royal Dramatic Theatre spokeswoman Christina Bjerkander.

Josephson was born into a family of artists and culture workers in Stockholm in 1923 and would become the actor who had the longest-running collaboration with Bergman. The two first met when Josephson was just 16 and participated as an amateur actor in the play The Merchant of Venice, directed by Bergman. Although he never had any formal acting education, Josephson continued to appear in several Bergman stage plays in the 1940s and 50s, and received a minor part in 1946 film It Rains on Our Love. In the late 50s he played larger roles in Bergman’s films The Magician and Brink of Life, but first shot to international stardom with the role of Johan in Scenes from a Marriage, in 1973.

After that, he received offers to appear in many international film productions and played Friedrich Nietzsche in Italian director Liliana Cavani’s 1977 Beyond Good and Evil. Josephson appeared in Philip Kaufman’s 1988 The Unbearable Lightness of Being and made memorable performances in Andrey Tarkovskiy’s 1980s films Nostalghia and The Sacrifice.

The actor won several Swedish film prizes and received an honorary award at the Rimini film festival in 1986. Two years later, he received the Off-Broadway Theater Award for best performance for his role as Gajev in Peter Brooks New York production of Cherry Farm.

Josephson also published many novels and autobiographical books, two poetry collections and around 40 scripts for stage, radio and television. He served as head of Sweden’s Royal Dramatic Theatre between 1966 and 1975, and was director of the Swedish Film Institute in the 1990s.

Josephson is survived by his wife Ulla Aberg and five children. Funeral arrangements weren’t immediately known.
IMDB link.

Sad to see him go. Great actor, great face, key player in many of my favorite films.
Old 02-27-12, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: RIP Erland Josephson

Sad to hear. Scenes from a Marriage is my favorite Bergman film. The two central performances are incredible. It should be required viewing for anyone even thinking about getting married.
Old 02-27-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RIP

Loved him in Bergman's films.
His performances in Tarkovsky's Nostalghia and The Sacrifice are must sees.
Old 02-27-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice to see this show up here. I thought about starting a thread about it yesterday, but didn't figuring no one would know him here.

He was picked by Tarkovsky and Bergman multiple times, and gave wonderful performances for both.

BTW if you appreciate 'Scenes From a Marriage', I assume you've seen 'Saraband'. If not make sure you do. It's the conclusion to the story 30 years later.
Old 02-27-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Nice to see this show up here. I thought about starting a thread about it yesterday, but didn't figuring no one would know him here.
Come now.
Old 02-27-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... almost no one, I could have better said.

Let's see if this thread gets even 8 members posting, I'd be surprised.
Old 02-27-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts

Sad.

He was great even late in his career revisiting his Scenes from a Marriage character in Bergman's Saraband.

One hell of a canvas of films he has - so many masterpieces. Of course that'll happen when you appear in a number of Bergman and Tarkovsky films.

Last edited by Coral; 02-27-12 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hadn't heard that he had died, but I'm posting so it can be acknowledged that more than eight DVD Talk members know who he was. I know that there are some legitimate cinephiles on here, so not surprised when there are the occasional threads acknowledging the likes of Erland Josephsson (and his association with some great filmmakers).

By the same token, I expect that if a piano or something landed on Vin Diesel and killed him, the thread on DVD Talk lauding his contribution to cinema history would go on for twenty pages.
Old 02-27-12, 11:37 PM
Cool New Member

He was an amazing presence, and left a longer and greater film legacy than most actors could even hope for.
Old 02-28-12, 12:28 AM

My wife and I have been on a watch all Ingmar Berman in order project. Just finished Scenes From A Marriage. Much good interviews with Erland and Liv et. el. on the extras. Amazing that Max Von Sydow just keeps on trucking.
Old 02-28-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm....

Let's see if this thread gets even 20 members posting, I'd be surprised.

What the hell right? I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-28-12, 11:21 PM

i'll be #10!

love what i've seen of this guy's work. RIP
Old 02-28-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

never heard of that actor and so
Old 02-28-12, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-29-12, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 418 Likes on 280 Posts

The guy did a nude scene in his 80's. Takes balls at his age.

I've yet to see his Tarkovsky films but the work he and Bergman did together will last forever.

RIP.
Old 02-29-12, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chadm
The guy did a nude scene in his 80's. Takes balls at his age.
And low hanging ones at that.
Old 02-29-12, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP. I've seen all of his films with Bergman and Tarkovsky and must say he had an amazing career.