Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lorax (2012) - Voices of Danny De Vito, Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Ed Helms

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

A 12-year-old boy searches for the one thing that will enable him to win the affection of the girl of his dreams. To find it he must discover the story of the Lorax, the grumpy yet charming creature who fights to protect his world.
Danny DeVito as the Lorax, a grumpy yet charming miniature orange creature with a moustache
Zac Efron as Ted, an idealistic 12-year-old boy and the main protagonist. He is named after Theodor Seuss Geisel.
Taylor Swift as Audrey, Ted's love interest. She is named after Audrey Geisel, Dr. Seuss' widow.
Ed Helms as the Once-ler (In the film, he is portrayed as a human, while the original book and television special left his species ambiguous and his face is never shown)
Rob Riggle as O'Hare, the mayor of Thneed-Ville, and the main antagonist of the film.
Betty White as Grammy Norma, Ted's grandmother
Jenny Slate as Ted's mother

Scheduled for release on March 2, 2012

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bHdzTUNw-4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1bHdzTUNw-4?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hmm, another Seuss book expanded into a full-length movie. I was pleasantly surprised by Horton Hears a Who!, though, so I'll reserve judgment for now. I always liked the Lorax TV special.

Last edited by davidh777; 02-21-12 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Lorax (2012) - Voices of Danny De Vito, Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Ed Helms

Horton Hears a Who was a pleasant surprise, curious to see what The Lorax has to offer. Hated Despicable Me but I know it was a huge studio hit so the name was bound to come up.
Old 02-22-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Lorax (2012) - Voices of Danny De Vito, Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Ed Helms

Loved Despicable Me, so hopefully this is a decent followup.
Old 03-04-12, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hated Despicable Me.
How in the heck could anyone hate Despicable Me?
Old 03-04-12, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

never saw it. Seemed like a movie I wouldn't like..but one day I will.
Old 03-04-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Took my kids to see The Lorax yesterday. It is definitely Fox News fodder as the whole movie's message is that manufacturing is bad and the environment is good. That's fine. I agree that trees are good.

The problem is that the movie has no subtlety at all. It hits you over the head with its message with a sledgehammer. There is no real wit or even an interesting story. The lyrics to the main song performed in the middle of the movie could have been written by the Occupy movement. Compare this movie to Wall-E, which had a similar message, and it is clear how poorly written this film is. Completely forgettable.

C- at best, and that is only because it did entertain my kids (though they like the Chipmunks, so that is not saying much).
Old 03-04-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

The Lorax took in $70 million for the weekend, according to estimates.
Old 03-04-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
Took my kids to see The Lorax yesterday. It is definitely Fox News fodder as the whole movie's message is that manufacturing is bad and the environment is good. That's fine. I agree that trees are good.

The problem is that the movie has no subtlety at all. It hits you over the head with its message with a sledgehammer. There is no real wit or even an interesting story. The lyrics to the main song performed in the middle of the movie could have been written by the Occupy movement. Compare this movie to Wall-E, which had a similar message, and it is clear how poorly written this film is. Completely forgettable.

C- at best, and that is only because it did entertain my kids (though they like the Chipmunks, so that is not saying much).
I take it you never read the book as a kid or saw the animated movie from the 70s. That's exactly how it was written back then. The meaning of the book may be more relevant now in today's day and age.

I was never a big Dr. Seuss fan but I always liked The Lorax. I'll probably end up seeing this at the cheap show.
Old 03-05-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Chill Pill
How in the heck could anyone hate Despicable Me?
With exception of 2 or 3 scenes it was a complete snooze-fest.
Old 03-05-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Okay so I've read that Ed Helms actually does some voice acting such that he actually sound different than his usual self. That's good. But please....tell me he doesn't sing in this. Somebody.
Old 03-05-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He sings in this...at least twice.
Old 03-06-12, 12:29 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Fell asleep during this movie... I discovered that I'll keep my love of Dr. Seuss strictly to his books. Spent $100 with my family of five seeing this, tickets, candy, drinks, popcorn. Jesus H. Christ! Shoulda waited for the inevitable $10 Blu Ray Black Friday deal, better yet, waited for the $1 Redbox rental. Aside from obvious slanted documentaries, I don't think I've ever seen a movie with such an overt message shoved down your throat and rammed up your ass at the same time.
Old 03-06-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I enjoyed the move well enough. I really liked Danny De Vito as the Lorax but it's not a movie I ever plan on seeing again. I thought it was funny that a movie about being real and organic had auto-tuning in all its songs. I thought the opening song was just a reflection of the plastic town they lived in but it was still there by the end. The songs were really forgettable too.
Old 03-06-12, 03:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I fast forwarded through an ad last night that was pushing Lorax and a new car. So despite the film's environmental theme it is being promoted with a tie-in to a car company. How very typical of Hollywood where the worst of liberal sentiment colides with the worst of capitalist greed.

I love how everyone in H'wood is proving how 100% right Dr. Seuss was to refuse movie adaptations of his books while he was alive. Now that he's dead they are living up to his estimation of them...they're making absolute excrement out of his books. But hey, if it weren't for these movies his great-grandchildren might actually have to get jobs.

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-07-12 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I fast forwarded through an ad last night that was pushing Lorax and a new car. So despite the film's environmental theme it is being promoted with a tie-in to a car company. How very typical of Hollywood where the worst of liberal sentiment colides with the worst of capitalist greed.
To be fair, if you're talking about the Mazda commercial its pushing their new Skyactiv engine that's more fuel efficient. But I see what you mean

I haven't seen this yet and might in the next few days, but i'm surprised that a couple of you weren't expecting such a heavy environmental message given thats what the entire book is about.
Old 03-10-12, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

saw it Thursday. Boring. It was essentially just visual fluff w/ no soul. I slept from when

Spoiler:
the Lorax left after the Once-ler did his thing to the last tree and then woke up a bit before the kid got the see from him...I've no idea wtf I missed...

probably 10 mins max cuz then my gf snapped at me for sleeping. I probably should have seen Project X...another film I didn't want to see...but thank god I didn't pay for it. I'll be damned if I pay for a movie I don't want to see. She can pay for these films all she wants. Anyway..back on topic...even after waking up all I saw was still stuff w/ no soul. Was boring. Unoriginal. etc. It wasn't as bad as Ultraviolet, RE: Apocalypse, or Bad Teacher...but it sure as hell bored me to sleep. It's boring as fuck.
Old 04-16-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Saw this yesterday in 2-D and thought it was pretty good. Note that I'm a fan of the source material and the animated version so I didn't have a problem with the message. Yeah, it felt stretched at times, the music was nothing to write home about, and I could have done with the spell-it-out ending, but the visual concepts were interesting and it looked gorgeous. I'd give it three out of five stars.