Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
re: Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Those 2 videogame cinematic trailers are infinitely better than any of the 3 Transformers movies we've been given.
Yes they are. And the robot designs are way cooler too.
Old 06-21-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
re: Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Those 2 videogame cinematic trailers are infinitely better than any of the 3 Transformers movies we've been given.
Originally Posted by Gunde
Yes they are. And the robot designs are way cooler too.
I thought the same thing. I find the robots more refined and smoothed out, especially bumblebee he looks closer to the comics/cartoon.

The robots in the Bay movies look too messy.
Old 06-21-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I assume that's Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime. Looks like flames on his chest.
That was a joke, right? If not, Prime has had flames on his chest since the first Bay movie.

I'd be all for an entirely new direction for the next movie. Set it 50 years in the future so no reason for Sam to be around. Actually it wouldn't even have to be in the future. Just eliminate all the humans and introduce some new Autobots. Optimus can still be around but go ahead and bring in some new characters...even Hot Rod if you have to. Have it take place place on Cybertron and introduce Unicron. How could that possibly suck?
I'd like this scenario very much. The problem is Bay. He refuses to focus on the robots. I saw a quote from him (trying to remember where) in which he insisted you can't focus on the robots because he's making live action movies and doing it all robots would make it an animated movie.

Although even the cartoons had humans in them, the better ones always sidelined the humans. The shittier shows tried to put the humans front an center. As Snake and others have mentioned here and elsewhere, NEST is fine. And Sam could work if his focus was fixed on the Autobots and Decepticons. Not some mundane bullshit. It pisses me off that the first film had a perfect template. You start with a kid trying to get a car to impress a girl. Then it all suddenly shifts and he's caught in the middle of an intergalactic war. Unfortunately, Bay keeps insisting that his writers keep focusing on the normal world. It's like the classic hero's journey but it's stalled on the refusal to the call, with no signs of progress.
Old 06-21-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am cautiously optimistic about this. Enjoyed 3 a lot, at least way more than 1 and 2 combined.

I rewatched 2 by skipping forward to just the robot fighting scenes and the movie became a lot better.
Old 06-21-12, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As before...I'll go in hoping it's better than the last one. That's the most I can hope for.
Old 06-21-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That was a joke, right? If not, Prime has had flames on his chest since the first Bay movie.
Yeah, I'm a moron. I kinda forgot what Rodimus looked like. He never had those little horn thingies that Optimus has. The Transformer in that poster just didn't look like Optimus to me at first glance, but the more I look at it, that's who it is.

Bay really blew it when he killed off Optimus in the second movie only to bring him back to life in the same movie. I'm sure some of it is just nostalgia, but the 1986 movie handled it right. It killed off Optimus and a bunch of other "original" Transformers so "new" ones could take over. Of course that was only done so Hasbro could introduce new toys, but it made for a good movie. THEN, later on they were able to bring Optimus back to life to save the day.

Optimus SHOULD have died and stayed dead in the second movie, or better yet he should have died in the third movie instead. Bay supposedly planned on only making 3 movies so why not kill off Optimus in his swan song movie? So, he's dead in the third one and then the fourth one can have some huge threat (Unicron) and the Autobots and their new leader, Rodimus Prime, are completely outmatched, but somehow they bring Optimus back to life and he saves the day. Am I crazy or couldn't that have worked?
Old 06-21-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm a moron. I kinda forgot what Rodimus looked like. He never had those little horn thingies that Optimus has. The Transformer in that poster just didn't look like Optimus to me at first glance, but the more I look at it, that's who it is.

Bay really blew it when he killed off Optimus in the second movie only to bring him back to life in the same movie. I'm sure some of it is just nostalgia, but the 1986 movie handled it right. It killed off Optimus and a bunch of other "original" Transformers so "new" ones could take over. Of course that was only done so Hasbro could introduce new toys, but it made for a good movie. THEN, later on they were able to bring Optimus back to life to save the day.

Optimus SHOULD have died and stayed dead in the second movie, or better yet he should have died in the third movie instead. Bay supposedly planned on only making 3 movies so why not kill off Optimus in his swan song movie? So, he's dead in the third one and then the fourth one can have some huge threat (Unicron) and the Autobots and their new leader, Rodimus Prime, are completely outmatched, but somehow they bring Optimus back to life and he saves the day. Am I crazy or couldn't that have worked?
You, sir, are not crazy. Especially if both Prime and Megatron had bit it. That way you could have a Rodimus Prime movie versus a new enemy. Like, say, instead of making Shockwave a throwaway henchman, have him be the baddie of a film sans Optimus Prime and Megatron. Then the next film introduces Galvatron. And have him be so badass (and, worse still, just a taste of the power Unicron wields) that their only hope is to revive Optimus Prime.

Of course the problem with all this is that it leaves little time for sex jokes, Sam being a douche, and redundant human characters to chew the scenery. You know, the "real" reason people see these movies.
Old 06-21-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Bay on Transformers 4's Plot, Cast and Budget

“It’s not a reboot," Bay said, reiterating that the new film will have an all-new cast. "That’s maybe the wrong word. I don’t want to say 'reboot' because then people will think we’re doing a 'Spider-Man' and starting from the beginning. We’re not. We’re taking the story that you’ve seen — the story we’ve told in three movies already — and we’re taking it in a new direction. But we’re leaving those three as the history. It all still counts... We’re moving on to something different.”

Though the script, currently being drafted by Ehren Kruger, is not yet final, Bay hints that one place the fourth film may go is into outer space.

"That feels like the way to go, doesn’t it?" says Bay. "I want to go a little off [the planet] but I don’t want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded."

No matter what, Bay says that one element of the new production is to scale back the budget somewhat to around $165 million, about $30 million less than 2011's Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91761
So part 4 will be a different direction. Perhaps battling in Cybertron?
Old 06-21-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You, sir, are not crazy. Especially if both Prime and Megatron had bit it. That way you could have a Rodimus Prime movie versus a new enemy. Like, say, instead of making Shockwave a throwaway henchman, have him be the baddie of a film sans Optimus Prime and Megatron. Then the next film introduces Galvatron. And have him be so badass (and, worse still, just a taste of the power Unicron wields) that their only hope is to revive Optimus Prime.

Of course the problem with all this is that it leaves little time for sex jokes, Sam being a douche, and redundant human characters to chew the scenery. You know, the "real" reason people see these movies.
Ya know I don't HATE the Transformers movies...they're decent I guess, but a large part of me thinks that they actually could have been really good. I mean like REALLY good. I'm not necessarily a Bay hater either. I like a lot of his movies, but maybe he just wasn't the right person to do these movies.

We can all second guess until the cows come home but it just seems like he made the wrong choice at every opportunity and ruined what could have been a really quality franchise.

Maybe in twenty years or so we can get a reboot that does these characters right.

Off topic big time, but I'm also holding out hope that HBO remakes the Harry Potter series a la Game of Thrones where each book is a say 5-10 episode season. I think the first two books would struggle to fill many hour long episodes, but once you got to the third one, it would be easy and maybe 10 episodes wouldn't even be enough for the later books. I'm rereading that series again (almost done with the 6th book) and it's criminal how much stuff was deleted to fit into a 2 1/2 hour movie, or 5 hour movie in the case of the last book.

Remakes aren't all bad. When they don't get it right the first time, then a remake is definitely a good thing.
Old 06-21-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic
So part 4 will be a different direction. Perhaps battling in Cybertron?
I'd take his comments with a whole sack full of salt. This is the man who had previously insisted TF3 wasn't going to be as bloated as its predecessors and lack "stupid humor". Look how that turned out.

The only promise he kept was regarding the Twins being excluded. And they were actually a last minute removal (Sentinel Prime originally killed them both during the same scene he killed Ironhide).
Old 06-21-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd take his comments with a whole sack full of salt. This is the man who had previously insisted TF3 wasn't going to be as bloated as its predecessors and lack "stupid humor". Look how that turned out.

The only promise he kept was regarding the Twins being excluded. And they were actually a last minute removal (Sentinel Prime originally killed them both during the same scene he killed Ironhide).
Old 06-22-12, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Wow, I never seen or heard of the games. Those trailers looked awesome. Guess the first shitty movie made me ignore all things TF, where I thought everything that came out was those stupid designs. Gonna go and order the first game now.
Old 06-22-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Bay
"I don’t want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded."
Yeah guys, after all this is a movie about talking robots that turn into cars. We don't want to get carried away or anything.
Old 06-22-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Yeah guys, after all this is a movie about talking robots that turn into cars. We don't want to get carried away or anything.
That's now how it works.

He kept it grounded with the romance stuff, family stuff, military stuff. Going full sci-fi is kind of like going full retard. If you go too far out, you have Tank Girl or Aeon Flux (those aren't great examples, but I can't think of any "full on" sci-fi movies right now). Then you're hardly appealing to any audience.
Old 06-22-12, 10:53 AM

You're right. The movies are perfect the way they are.
Old 06-22-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Bay wants to keep it "grounded?" Yeah okay.
Old 06-22-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He has robbed my childhood.
Old 06-22-12, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
That's now how it works.

He kept it grounded with the romance stuff, family stuff, military stuff. Going full sci-fi is kind of like going full retard.
Seriously, have you seen the Transformer movies? They're about as "full retard" as you can get.

If you go too far out, you have Tank Girl or Aeon Flux (those aren't great examples, but I can't think of any "full on" sci-fi movies right now). Then you're hardly appealing to any audience.
Let's see, Avatar, Prometheus, Inception. Yeah, audiences hate sci-fi movies.

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 06-22-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-22-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, have you seen the Transformer movies? They're about as "full retard" as you can get.

Let's see, Avatar, Prometheus, Inception. Yeah, audiences hate sci-fi movies.
The "full retard" statement was a similarity to how "grounded" or "ungrounded" a movie can be. But, yea, Transformers did go intellectually full retard. Hehe.

You're not understanding. Those are more examples of grounded movies.

There's a simple, fundamental reason why a moviegoer can latch onto a genre movie. And it's ... grounding (or "identifiability")

Anyways, contact me next time you're trying to make a movie and I'll go into more details.
Old 06-22-12, 06:05 PM

You're not understanding. Those are more examples of grounded movies.
I apologize if I'm not getting your point, but...I mean, Avatar is about 9-foot tall cat people who have sex with their tails. That's not what I think of when I think "grounded."
Old 06-22-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-22-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I apologize if I'm not getting your point, but...I mean, Avatar is about 9-foot tall cat people who have sex with their tails. That's not what I think of when I think "grounded."
You're being cynical. Avatar is about a disabled veteran who gets a chance to help a tribal colony that is being exploited by an enegry company. In the meantime, he developes a romantic relationship with one of the tribespeople. We're introduced to a power-hungry father figure who wants to be in charge of the situation, a humanitarian, a hippie-type looking to explore, a likeable soldier, etc.

Avatar was probably Cameron's most indulgent film yet. If he pushed the fantasy too far, it would have bombed.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 06-22-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-26-12, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I'd post this here too while I made the thread for the game as well.

Walmart has a deal where if you get the Sequel you get WfC free via download on 360 ONLY.
Old 08-26-12, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
He has robbed my childhood.
would you care to share that on DR Phill ?
Old 08-26-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.