DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Karate Kid 2: I Know Kung Fu! - News, Cast, Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/598783-karate-kid-2-i-know-kung-fu-news-cast-rumors.html)

devilshalo 02-08-12 12:29 PM

Karate Kid 2: I Know Kung Fu! - News, Cast, Rumors

Sony taps Penn to rewrite 'Karate Kid' sequel
'Incredible Hulk' scribe hired for pic
By Rachel Abrams, Jeff Sneider

Columbia Pictures has tapped "The Incredible Hulk" scribe Zak Penn to rewrite its untitled sequel to 2010's surprise hit "The Karate Kid."

Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris were hired to write a sequel just weeks after director Harald Zwart's "Karate Kid" reboot took in $55.6 million domestically over its opening weekend. China-set pic went on to gross $359 million worldwide.

While plot details remain under wraps, original stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan are expected to reprise their roles, though no deals are currently in place.

Overbrook Entertainment principals Will Smith, James Lassiter, Ken Stovitz and Jada Pinkett Smith will produce with Jerry Weintraub, while Sony exec DeVon Franklin will oversee the project for the studio.

Penn knows his way around fight scenes, having written the superhero pics "Elektra," "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "The Incredible Hulk." He also co-created the Syfy series "Alphas" and wrote, directed and produced the improvisational poker comedy "The Grand." Scribe most recently worked on a "Dirty Dozen" remake, as well as an original take on the classic "Argonauts" tale for 20th Century Fox.

Penn is repped by CAA.

Solid Snake 02-08-12 01:07 PM

Re: Karate Kid 2: I Know Kung Fu! - News, Cast, Rumors

really? REALLY? Moneymaking aside...REALLY? Like the message wasn't told once enough in the last one?

Guru Askew 02-08-12 01:09 PM

How DARE they follow up an extremely successful movie with a sequel?

DJariya 02-08-12 01:11 PM

I liked the remake alot. I know this is total cash grab by Sony, but what the hell can they really do for a sequel? Let me guess, Dre and Mr. Han are going to enter a tournament in Hong Kong and Han is going to re-connect with an old flame from the past. ;)

RocShemp 02-08-12 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11107643)
really? REALLY? Moneymaking aside...REALLY? Like the message wasn't told once enough in the last one?

Yeah, it's not like the original The Karate Kid ever had a sequel.

Solid Snake 02-08-12 01:17 PM

Exactly. It didn't need one either for that matter.

devilshalo 02-08-12 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11107643)

The original had 3 sequels. If it follows that formula, this is the Father to Son film. :p

candyrocket786 02-08-12 01:30 PM

About damn time.

I'm down for this.

Michael Corvin 02-08-12 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 11107578)
Penn knows his way around fight scenes, having written the superhero pics "Elektra," "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "The Incredible Hulk." He also co-created the Syfy series "Alphas" and wrote, directed and produced the improvisational poker comedy "The Grand." Scribe most recently worked on a "Dirty Dozen" remake, as well as an original take on the classic "Argonauts" tale for 20th Century Fox.

I don't think this paragraph sells Penn the way they think it does.

gp1086 02-08-12 01:43 PM

The original Karate Kid is arguably my favorite movie of all-time - not kidding. I really enjoyed the remake a couple of years ago. Jackie Chan and Jaden surprised me with how well they did. Given all the success, it makes sense to have a sequel to the reboot. Why not? I am looking forward to it!

DRG 02-08-12 02:51 PM

Well, since the remake loosely followed the plot of Karate Kid Part 2 (American kid in Asian), maybe the sequel to the remake will go back to the original and take the action back to America? The trick then would be to find a graceful way to keep Chan in the mix.

Michael Corvin 02-08-12 03:13 PM

Actually it followed the plot from the first, but took the exotic locale from the second. Hopefully they can come up with something different than just following the original films.

Dragon Tattoo 02-08-12 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11107660)
Exactly. It didn't need one either for that matter.

Wrong.

The world absolutely needed "Glory of Love" and that Japanese hottie Daniel macked on.

Anyway, I'm down for this. The first was awesome.

riotinmyskull 02-08-12 06:52 PM

wait there's a DIRTY DOZEN remake in the works? fuck.

devilshalo 02-08-12 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11108096)
Wrong.

The world absolutely needed "Glory of Love" and that Japanese hottie Daniel macked on.

Anyway, I'm down for this. The first was awesome.

But Robin Lively was no Tamlyn Tomita. So part 3 was a downgrade.

I actually like the original trilogy as it sort of takes places all within the course of a year and half.

Super X 02-08-12 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 11108163)
But Robin Lively was no Tamlyn Tomita. So part 3 was a downgrade.

I actually like the original trilogy as it sort of takes places all within the course of a year and half.

Hell, Robin Lively didn't even stick around to cheer Daniel on in the final battle of the film. Some girlfriend.

LickTheABCs 02-08-12 08:37 PM

Top that, top that

Hokeyboy 02-08-12 09:00 PM

It's Christopher Nolan's fault.

Pizza the Hutt 02-08-12 11:12 PM

I hate Hollywood.

Dragon Tattoo 02-08-12 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt (Post 11108430)
I hate Hollywood.

Yeah, making sequels to successful, critically acclaimed movies. FUCK THOSE GUYS!

gp1086 02-08-12 11:58 PM

Why do so many dislike remakes? The way I see it, even if they're not any good, you've still got the original. If they are good, it's a good thing.

devilshalo 02-09-12 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Super X (Post 11108227)
Hell, Robin Lively didn't even stick around to cheer Daniel on in the final battle of the film. Some girlfriend.

Well, they were only friends since she went back to be with the headless guy in her photo. I heard a rumor there was a no kissing clause in her contract.

Charlie Goose 02-09-12 06:18 AM

I originally HATED the idea of Will Smith's son redoing one of my favorite 80s movies, but it turned out to be pretty terrific, so I'm okay with a sequel.

Hokeyboy 02-09-12 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by gp1086 (Post 11108473)
Why do so many dislike remakes? The way I see it, even if they're not any good, you've still got the original. If they are good, it's a good thing.

Because the time and money spent doing a mediocre remake of a movie could have been used for creating something new, original, and creative. :shrug:

Dragon Tattoo 02-09-12 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 11108663)
Because the time and money spent doing a mediocre remake of a movie could have been used for creating something new, original, and creative. :shrug:

Or something that sucks. And with Hollywood's track record, it'll probably be something that sucks.

May as well have a remake. At least they have a successful template already there.