Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ROOM 237 (2012) (dir. Rodney Ascher) (documentary about Kubrick's THE SHINING)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-27-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Room 237 is a subjective documentary that explores the numerous theories about the hidden meanings within Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining. The film may be over 30 years old but it continues to inspire debate, speculation, and mystery. Five very different points of view are illuminated through voice over, film clips, animation and dramatic reenactments. Together they'll draw the audience into a new maze, one with endless detours and dead ends, many ways in, but no way out.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/

http://room237movie.wordpress.com/
Old 01-27-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: ROOM 237 (2012) (dir. Rodney Ascher) (documentary about Kubrick's THE SHINING)

For those curious, here's a picture I took of the original room 217 (sorry for the cleaning cart) at The Stanley in Estes Park, CO that Stephen King stayed in that was the basis for the movie. The room was occupied so we could not go inside. Hotel person said the room can be rented for $500 per night and you have to reserve months in advance. I read the hotel Timberline (movie exteriors) asked that the room number be changed to 237 for the movie.

I'm very interested in seeing the documentary.
Old 01-27-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ROOM 237 (2012) (dir. Rodney Ascher) (documentary about Kubrick's THE SHINING)

I am surprised that Rob Ager is not a part of this.
Old 01-27-12, 11:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My parents stayed in that room a couple years ago. They didn't even reserve it months in advance...they were checking in and casually asked if it was available. No ghosts, just a few tour groups and random gawkers.

As for this documentary, meh. I'd be more interested in the making of than "theories", and there's already a pretty good making of filmed by Kubrick's daughter on the set.
Old 01-27-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
My parents stayed in that room a couple years ago. They didn't even reserve it months in advance...they were checking in and casually asked if it was available. No ghosts, just a few tour groups and random gawkers.
I was just going by what the guy told us. Now that I think about it, we were there a little over 4 years ago so maybe the demand has eased up. Damn, time flies.
Old 01-27-12, 12:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The doc will be interesting, but some people's theories about the film fall way "out there". I read one once that claimed the film contains clues that indicate Kubrick assisted the US government in faking the moon landing. Aparently 2001 was a dry run for the fake moon landing, then Kubrick helped them fake the landing, then he felt guilty about it years later and The Shining is his secret confession.
Old 01-27-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 01-27-12, 12:41 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 01-27-12, 12:44 PM
Banned

I just read the review from Sundance right here on DVD Talk http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54386/room-237/

To Blakemore, who realized after a couple of screenings that, in his words, "Indians, Oh my God, they're all over the place in that movie," the film is "about the genocide of the American Indians." Cocks, seizing on Jack Torrance's German typewriter and the film's occasional use of the number 42 (as in 1942), sees The Shining as "a deeply-laid subtext that takes on the Holocaust." Weidner has perhaps the wildest theory: that Kubrick helped fake the Apollo moon landings while making 2001, and though he could never tell the truth about that job, he inserted various clues and explanations into The Shining as a kind of apologia.
Looks like I can skip this movie. There's film analysis and there's people who need analysis.
Old 01-27-12, 12:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was just going by what the guy told us. Now that I think about it, we were there a little over 4 years ago so maybe the demand has eased up. Damn, time flies.
It's all supply and demand. I bet they can get $500 from film buffs who are booking way in advance...whereas in my parents case it was open and they probably wouldn't have gotten the $500 any way.

As for the film, after reading about the moon landing synopsis this is definitely a big "Pass" for me as well.
Old 01-27-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm with you there. Big pass now. Faked moon landing?
Old 01-27-12, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I just read the review from Sundance right here on DVD Talk http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54386/room-237/

Looks like I can skip this movie. There's film analysis and there's people who need analysis.
yep....didn't care for it but w/ passing interest...but that's fucked up shit that I don't need to see.
Old 01-27-12, 04:54 PM
Banned

I might still give it a look-see since it seems the approach to some of these theories seems to be done with a sense of humor. But it's a missed opportunity because a serious inquiry into the merrits of the film would be great.
Old 10-08-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<object width="450" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/63778"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/63778" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="300" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 10-08-12, 09:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's worth looking up the website that posted the Apollo landing confession theory. It's an absolute hoot.
Old 10-08-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I saw this last night. It was really good. Really funny. Most of the theories were of the crack pot variety. But some were pretty interesting. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
Old 10-08-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I need to get some idea of the tone of the movie before I'm going out of my way to see it. That's gotta be one of the worst trailers I've ever seen. I guess it was trying to ape the minimal trailer for The Shining (the credits scrolling on the elevator shot) but that one worked because it had a mindblowing payoff. This looks more like a trailer you do before the movie is even shot just to ballyhoo the concept.
Old 10-09-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I want to see more footage of Kubrick screaming at Shelly Winters.
Old 10-09-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I want to see more footage of Kubrick screaming at Shelly Winters.
I'd like to see that as well. That footage would especially shocking since Shelley Winters wasn't even in The Shining.

Spoiler:
Although she was in Lolita so that footage may actually exist!
Old 10-09-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Someone posted some Youtube videos in the Random Video Thread awhile back about the odd physical makeup of the hotel set from The Shining that was pretty fascinating (doors where no doors should be, people walking out of what should be dead end hallways, etc). I was hoping this documentary would discuss those kinds of unusual theories not crackpot amusing theories.

I'll see if I can track those videos down.
Old 10-09-12, 02:16 PM
Banned by request

This is the guy who did the physical analysis of The Overlook: http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining.html

That is a massive, massive write-up he did on The Shining. I don't think every idea he has is substantiated, but there are lots of interesting things in there that he notes. None of it ever gets to the level of the Apollo landing theory, but he does get pretty out there at times. Still, some elements of the analysis are quite insightful.

The same guy has also done an analysis of 2001 that I think is bunk, and attempts to make connections between Kubrick films that don't exist (like suggesting that there are dream sequences in Full Metal Jacket). So, again, take that Shining analysis with a big dose of salt, but some of it is interesting.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-09-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 04:42 PM
Banned by request

The more I read of that guy's site, the more I think he's off the mark on a lot of things. However, his analysis of the spatial distortions is solid, as is the thematic interpretation about Native American genocide. But some of the stuff that tries to wholly explain away all the supernatural elements stretch things too far.
Old 10-10-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Someone posted some Youtube videos in the Random Video Thread awhile back about the odd physical makeup of the hotel set from The Shining that was pretty fascinating (doors where no doors should be, people walking out of what should be dead end hallways, etc). I was hoping this documentary would discuss those kinds of unusual theories not crackpot amusing theories.

I'll see if I can track those videos down.
Don't worry, those are in there too.
Old 10-10-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^Thanks. I'll definitely track down this documentary then. Should be interesting, crackpot theories aside..
Old 10-16-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I saw this other night, and frankly, pretty much everyone should give this a pass.

Just so you know what it's like, the whole movie is basically composed of phone interviews with about 5 or so crackpot theorists, where they present and expound on their wacky theories. These are accompanied by visuals from the movie or other Kubrick films (and other films) to illustrate the point. Sometimes some animations or other visuals.

Some of the things they point out in the film to support their theories are interesting things I never noticed before, but aside from a few "Oh, that's cool" moments, it's really hard to put any stock into their theories, and their theories simply aren't that compelling.

The editors sometimes have fun at the theorists' expense. For example, the guy who talks about Kubrick helping NASA stage the filming of the Apollo moon landings, starts talking about how he's proven it, and so now "they" are watching him, and he expects his taxes to be audited, etc. And while he's saying these things, the editors are showing on-screen the scene from Eyes Wide Shut where Tom Cruise is walking on the street and is all paranoid and thinking he is being followed.

None of these people were involved in the production of the movie, so if you were hoping for production insights or information, this is not the movie for you. If you're interested in wacky theories, you can probably do just as well as seeing this movie by simply Googling for a few websites.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.