Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Scenes In Bad Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Not sure if this has been done in a thread before (I couldn't find anything), but I'd love to hear people's opinions.

Comedies are probably the best/easiest for this category...a scene you found hilarious, while the rest of the movie just stunk. But any scene will do...maybe it happened in the beginning of the movie and nothing that followed was any good; or maybe you sat through 2 hours of dreck and the finale really nailed it. But please stick to films that were for the most part universally panned. Just because you didn't like FORREST GUMP or SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE doesn't mean they're "bad" movies...at least not for what I'm aiming for in this thread.

Here's an idea of what I'm talking about...I submit to you the great opening theme to the otherwise dreadful SPY HARD:

Old 01-12-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Good Scenes In Bad Movies

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (2007) -- that early sequence in the train station was brilliant, the one where Bourne slips that reporter the pre-paid cellphone and then calls him and directs him through the gauntlet of assassins hidden around the place who are out to kill him (something like that). I had high hopes after that, but the rest of the movie was awful.
Old 01-12-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I thought the space shuttle/airplane scene in "Superman Returns" was pretty nifty.
Old 01-12-12, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drunk Superman from Superman III.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlI-i5xM30o

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 01-12-12 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Hmm, this is a very good idea for a topic. Problem is, I usually forget bad movies and thus any good scenes that might be in them. But I'll recycle one that I have mentioned before: Pom Pom and Hot Hot. Absolutely wretched HK buddy comedy until the final incredible, action-packed 20 minutes. Unfortunately, only parts of it are up on Youtube:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PdO53IC6lZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T_CWenRjGyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-12-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (2007) -- that early sequence in the train station was brilliant, the one where Bourne slips that reporter the pre-paid cellphone and then calls him and directs him through the gauntlet of assassins hidden around the place who are out to kill him (something like that). I had high hopes after that, but the rest of the movie was awful.
Whatever you say Armond White
Old 01-12-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Drunk Superman from Superman III.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlI-i5xM30o
I'll do you one better: the United Nations scene from SUPERMAN IV. "What's he going to say?" "Something wonderful." "Effective immediately, I'm going to rid our planet of all nuclear weapons."

It's a scene that should have been the climax of the movie, instead of the opening.
Old 01-12-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

opening 5 minutes of Austin powers in Goldmember
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-AZgBXCsLY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-AZgBXCsLY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dioMyIqWjEk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dioMyIqWjEk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 01-12-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - The maelstrom and destruction of the Endeavor. A sensational ending to a movie that is a chore to sit through.
Old 01-12-12, 05:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Boobs in Titanic
Old 01-12-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SCVc5TaPpe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-12-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Empire Strikes Back skit in Reign of Fire.
Old 01-12-12, 08:43 PM

I don't like Billy Madison but I love Steve Buscemi's cameo.
Old 01-13-12, 12:13 AM
Banned

Old 01-13-12, 07:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I don't like Billy Madison but I love Steve Buscemi's cameo.
Every movie is better w/ Steve Buscemi...cuz of Steve Buscemi.
Old 01-13-12, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The opening of Idiocracy. Such a great setup, but the movie's basically a mess after that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BXRjmyJFzrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-13-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - The maelstrom and destruction of the Endeavor. A sensational ending to a movie that is a chore to sit through.
See, I would have gone with the other end. I liked the whole surreal World's End segment at the beginning, but the ending devolved into CGI Jack versus CGI Davy Jones and didn't do anything for me, personally.

But yes, as a whole, it was a chore to sit through.
Old 01-13-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Hancock using the car as a shield to get the wounded cop. As far as iconic imagery goes, I'd put it up near that old Action comics pose of Superman holding up the car.

Rest of the movie is admittedly scattershot, but Hancock forcing himself to slow things down and think a situation through instead of just jumping in and throwing shit around really impressed me.
Old 01-13-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I thought the space shuttle/airplane scene in "Superman Returns" was pretty nifty.
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Hancock using the car as a shield to get the wounded cop. As far as iconic imagery goes, I'd put it up near that old Action comics pose of Superman holding up the car.

Rest of the movie is admittedly scattershot, but Hancock forcing himself to slow things down and think a situation through instead of just jumping in and throwing shit around really impressed me.
to both of those examples. The airplane/shuttle sequence in Superman Returns is the only part of that movie that I can actually tolerate. Everything else is dismal.

I enjoy Hancock a little more but the bank robbery scene is definitely the best sequence of the movie.

I'll add the attack on Pearl Harbor in Pearl Harbor. A 3 hour Titanic ripoff with one pretty badass action sequence right in the middle.
Old 01-13-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unknown is a stupid film, but there's a great scene with Bruno Ganz and Frank Langella near the end. What starts out as a civil conversation has a very interesting turn and conclusion.
Old 01-13-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
The opening of Idiocracy. Such a great setup, but the movie's basically a mess after that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BXRjmyJFzrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-13-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The writing and story are absolutely abysmal, but any kill scene from Laid to Rest is fantastic thanks to Rob Hall's grotesque practical FX work.
Old 01-13-12, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by flagstone
See, I would have gone with the other end. I liked the whole surreal World's End segment at the beginning, but the ending devolved into CGI Jack versus CGI Davy Jones and didn't do anything for me, personally.

But yes, as a whole, it was a chore to sit through.
The main reason I chose those scenes because they're a perfect amalgamation of rollicking action and Hans Zimmer's awesome score.
Old 01-13-12, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Every movie is better w/ Steve Buscemi...cuz of Steve Buscemi.
Agreed.
Old 01-14-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The freeway scene in Matrix: Reloaded is one of the best action scenes of all time - unfortunately, it's also a terrible movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.