Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER (2012) (dir. Chbosky) (Emma Watson, Logan Lerman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER (2012) (dir. Chbosky) (Emma Watson, Logan Lerman)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER (2012) (dir. Chbosky) (Emma Watson, Logan Lerman)

saw it tonight. thought it was great. i actually wish the movie was longer and we could've seen more of some of the minor characters like in the book. it's weird watching scenes play out in real time as opposed to when you're reading them. i remember the scenes with sam and charlie in her bedroom lasting FOREVER (in a good way) when reading them but those moments passed by in seconds on film. still had a good impact though. i was curious as to how chbosky would handle the end and was worried he'd get a little too weird with it but i think he did a good job.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 12-11-12 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 08:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER (2012) (dir. Chbosky) (Emma Watson, Logan Lerman)

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finally saw the film tonight.

I absolutely loved it and it's now one of my favorite films of 2012. As Jules mentioned, this filmed choked me up pretty hard.

Going to try and see it again soon.
I don't know what took me so long to see this, but since it was ending at E Street this week - thought I better check this out, and I'm glad I saw it - it's definitely in my top ten of the year. Great cast, great story, great music soundtrack.
Old 12-18-12, 03:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great film. I was hoping it would be after reading the reviews. This and Silver Linings Playbook are two flicks on my top ten for the year.
Old 01-19-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

This finally made it to our local second run theater and I watched it this afternoon. Great high school movie -- right up there with Say Anything. I don't know how autobiographical it was to the author's life, but
Spoiler:
the repressed memories of the aunt really seemed to come out of left field. I was also expecting them to reveal the anonymous reader whom Charlie was writing his letters to the entire movie.
I'd previously considered Logan Lerman to be just another prettyboy, but he handled the emotional stuff really well and his performance anchored the movie. This was the first thing I'd ever seen Ezra Miller in and I thought he did a damn fine job as well. Sadly, Watson's character didn't resonate with me that much. Pretty girl with a past who's dating a college guy who doesn't appreciate her. I've seen it before. The supporting cast was great, especially Paul Rudd. It's nice to see him pop up in a non-comedic role once in a while. The student/teacher relationship with Charlie was handled nicely. Dylan McDermott and Kate Walsh didn't have much to do as the parents, but it was cool having them in the film regardless. Another plus goes to the unexpected Savini cameo.
Old 01-19-13, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was easily my favorite film of 2012. Just downright excellent from beginning to end.

I am definitely looking forward to the official release. I have to buy it and watch it thirty more times.

Goddamn what an excellent movie.
Old 02-12-13, 07:26 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This was so fucking good.
Old 02-12-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed this movie. A feel good movie.
Old 02-13-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Really need to see this.
Old 03-06-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Saw this tonight. I liked it and thought it was a faithful adaptation of the book. Yes, I'm aware the director/writer also wrote the book (which I've read).

Some random thoughts: Emma Watson does a terrible American accent. Ezra Miller was great as Patrick. Having seen him in "We Need To Talk About Kevin", it was alittle strange seeing him play a character so opposite of Kevin.
Also I think they may have cast a kid who's alittle too old for the role of Charlie. Sure I suppose he could pass for a 14-15 year old from a physical standpoint, but he had a deep voice for someone that age.

Minor nitpicking aside, it's a nice coming of age story. Recommended.
Old 03-07-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Also I think they may have cast a kid who's alittle too old for the role of Charlie. Sure I suppose he could pass for a 14-15 year old from a physical standpoint, but he had a deep voice for someone that age.
The book Charlie got held back a year and turns 16 and gets his drivers license around Thanksgiving. Logan Lerman has been around for awhile, but he still would have been at most 20 when they filmed this. I don't think that's an outrageous difference.

I liked this movie a lot. Made me read the book.
Old 03-16-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just watched this after being recommended by several friends. A simply beautiful movie.
Old 03-16-13, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hated this movie. I was an outcast in high school and this didn't speak to me at all.
Old 03-16-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Hated this movie. I was an outcast in high school and this didn't speak to me at all.
What did you dislike about it? Just interested. It spoke strongly to me, both being an outcast and finding it hard to make friends at first. Granted, yet again, the emotions in this movie are big and grand and I'm a bit of a sucker for that(not that I like everything big and grand emotionally). I'm a big sissy when all is said and done I suppose.
Old 04-08-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched this in the plane from Paris. I read good comments from one tv/movie writer I follow on Twitter, so decided to gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, it was too short, and now knowing that it's based in a book, I'm sure they explain a lot of things there, that are barely touched in the movie. High school/coming of age movies are of my favorite "genres", this can be easily added to my top 5.

And yeah, the ending was kind of a surprise to me.I wasn't expecting something like that.
Old 04-13-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I watched this on Thursday and absolutely loved it. I never read the book, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations going in. A very pleasant surprise.
Old 05-22-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Thanks Supermallet. I saw this last night since it'd been sitting on the DVR forever and can't believe I let it clutter up my available space for so long. There were some good performances, no doubt, and Emma Watson is 10 pounds of cute in a 9-pound bag. Almost literally.

What bothered me most is how the "outcast" group really didn't ring true at all. They were far too cool and stylish, not to mention far too willing to accept Charlie into their group.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And...what other cases are there of an author directing a movie on his own book? I can't think of any at the moment.
Two came to mind immediately: William Peter Blatty with Exorcist III, and Stephen King with Maximum Overdrive.
Old 05-22-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

My biggest issue with the movie was how grown up all these kids acted. I wasn't really an outcast in high school but I have a hard time imagining that those who were sat around drinking wine next to the fireplace on the weekends.