Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Old 12-13-11, 08:34 AM
  #1  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 12,065
Received 253 Likes on 177 Posts
Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

A slightly different take, Amazon's Top 100 movies for 2011:

Editor's Picks:

1 to 50
51 to 100


And these are what people are actually buying:

Top 100 Customer Picks:

1 to 50
51 to 100


Not really surprised by customer's top 2 picks.

Since I'm not too much into watching TV Shows on TV, I'll never understand the popularity of some of these, seems like mindless drivel to me, but I'm sure alot of people can say the same thing about what I like, so there you have it.

Since I could give a rats behind about Facebook, I guess I'll never comprehend the popularity of The Social Network, as far as I'm concerned how Facebook rose to fame and fortune is NOT on my list of concerns.

Oh well, end of commentary. Thought you might like to see what someone else's list of Top movies consisted of. -kd5-
Old 12-13-11, 11:43 AM
  #2  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Since I could give a rats behind about Facebook, I guess I'll never comprehend the popularity of The Social Network, as far as I'm concerned how Facebook rose to fame and fortune is NOT on my list of concerns.
I thought the same thing until I saw it. It's just great drama. I could use your argument for so many movies, but in the end I just want a great story. Social Network is one of these. You don't have to be a fan of the website to like the movie.

Interesting list nonetheless.
Old 12-13-11, 12:09 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
I thought the same thing until I saw it. It's just great drama. I could use your argument for so many movies, but in the end I just want a great story. Social Network is one of these. You don't have to be a fan of the website to like the movie.

Interesting list nonetheless.
Agreed, i'm surprised people are still caught up in the "movie about Facebook" thing.
Old 12-13-11, 12:22 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,147
Received 314 Likes on 224 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

I still can't believe people get so worked up over Citizen Kane. It's just a movie about a kid who lost his sled.
Old 12-13-11, 12:42 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Moving to DVD Talk
Old 12-13-11, 01:03 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

What exaclty are the credentials of Amazon editors? WTF do they know about film?

It's interesting that the customer top 50 most popular is mostly films, yet the editors are hung up on tons of TV shows.
Old 12-13-11, 01:59 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,265
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

The customer list seems to make sense for the most part. I assume it is based on sales, no? Found it a little odd the Blow Out is listed there at 40. Seems weird that a Criterion should make the list.
Old 12-13-11, 02:09 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Dr. Mantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,205
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Since I could give a rats behind about Facebook, I guess I'll never comprehend the popularity of The Social Network, as far as I'm concerned how Facebook rose to fame and fortune is NOT on my list of concerns.
Maybe you should try watching it and then you'll understand the popularity. It was also by far the best reviewed film of 2010.

Not that you have to like something just because it's well reviewed. But critics certainly have better taste than the average person. (As evidenced by these lists. Customers actually have Transformers 3 in the top five, so what the fuck do they know?)

You don't have to use FB or any social network sites to enjoy The Social Network. Lots of people love Breaking Bad, but they're not all meth addicts and drug dealers.

"A movie is not what it is about, but how it is about it."
Old 12-13-11, 02:22 PM
  #9  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 12,065
Received 253 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

I'm just not a big fan of drama. I have very few dramas in my collection and only one drama TV series (my wife got me hooked on NCIS), my tastes run more to SciFi/Fantasy/Horror with a light sprinkling of Action/Drama. I can't help that my tastes run differently than some here, but I just don't care to see The Social Network. -kd5-
Old 12-13-11, 02:45 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
The customer list seems to make sense for the most part. I assume it is based on sales, no? Found it a little odd the Blow Out is listed there at 40. Seems weird that a Criterion should make the list.
Why not? It's a list of best DVDs. It should have more Criterions!
Old 12-13-11, 02:46 PM
  #11  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I'm just not a big fan of drama. I have very few dramas in my collection and only one drama TV series (my wife got me hooked on NCIS), my tastes run more to SciFi/Fantasy/Horror with a light sprinkling of Action/Drama. I can't help that my tastes run differently than some here, but I just don't care to see The Social Network. -kd5-
Then why argue that you'll never comprehend the popularity of the movie? There's only way to resolve that issue.
Old 12-13-11, 04:36 PM
  #12  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 776 Likes on 580 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Why? You said that in your first post. -trespoochies-
Old 12-13-11, 05:11 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Since I could give a rats behind about Facebook, I guess I'll never comprehend the popularity of The Social Network, as far as I'm concerned how Facebook rose to fame and fortune is NOT on my list of concerns.


Your loss.
Old 12-13-11, 05:14 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I still can't believe people get so worked up over Citizen Kane. It's just a movie about a kid who lost his sled.

Context, babe. Context. Did you actually see what movies looked like before Citizen Kane??

Again, it's all about context babe..
Old 12-13-11, 05:27 PM
  #15  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,802
Received 458 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt View Post
Context, babe. Context. Did you actually see what movies looked like before Citizen Kane??

Again, it's all about context babe..
Yeah, you need to check the context of his post.
Old 12-13-11, 05:31 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Yeah, you need to check the context of his post.
I had, honey.
Old 12-13-11, 05:32 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 38,725
Received 1,006 Likes on 728 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I'm just not a big fan of drama.
Then you should've just stated this instead of making a slam against Facebook. And this isn't the first time you've mentioned you have no interest in a "movie about Facebook."
Old 12-14-11, 12:06 AM
  #18  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 22,802
Received 458 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt View Post
I had, honey.
That noise flying over your head was not an airplane. It was the point you missed.

mmm... honey...
Old 12-14-11, 12:20 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Mountain Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,416
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
A slightly different take, Amazon's Top 100 movies for 2011:

Editor's Picks:

1 to 50
51 to 100


And these are what people are actually buying:

Top 100 Customer Picks:

1 to 50
51 to 100


Not really surprised by customer's top 2 picks.

Since I'm not too much into watching TV Shows on TV, I'll never understand the popularity of some of these, seems like mindless drivel to me, but I'm sure alot of people can say the same thing about what I like, so there you have it.

Since I could give a rats behind about Facebook, I guess I'll never comprehend the popularity of The Social Network, as far as I'm concerned how Facebook rose to fame and fortune is NOT on my list of concerns.

Oh well, end of commentary. Thought you might like to see what someone else's list of Top movies consisted of. -kd5-
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I'm just not a big fan of drama. I have very few dramas in my collection and only one drama TV series (my wife got me hooked on NCIS), my tastes run more to SciFi/Fantasy/Horror with a light sprinkling of Action/Drama. I can't help that my tastes run differently than some here, but I just don't care to see The Social Network. -kd5-
__________________


I can't comprehend why someone has to put their user name at the end of every post they make.
Old 12-14-11, 12:49 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 49,856
Received 689 Likes on 563 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Agree that it's about telling a good story
Old 12-14-11, 12:53 AM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
The customer list seems to make sense for the most part. I assume it is based on sales, no? Found it a little odd the Blow Out is listed there at 40. Seems weird that a Criterion should make the list.
The price. That's why I bought it this year.
Old 12-14-11, 08:40 AM
  #22  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 12,065
Received 253 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Then you should've just stated this instead of making a slam against Facebook. And this isn't the first time you've mentioned you have no interest in a "movie about Facebook."
So Tom, you gonna come over here and burn my house down because I made a disparaging remark about Facebook?

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker View Post
I can't comprehend why someone has to put their user name at the end of every post they make.
I can't comprehend why someone would misplace their car at 4am...




To the rest of you who felt they had to belittle what I said, GET OVER YOURSELVES. You make disparaging comments about movies here every day. If you can't handle that someone doesn't like a movie that you idolize, then you're in the wrong place.


My god, the egos around here... -kd5-
Old 12-14-11, 09:13 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
To the rest of you who felt they had to belittle what I said, GET OVER YOURSELVES. You make disparaging comments about movies here every day. If you can't handle that someone doesn't like a movie that you idolize, then you're in the wrong place.


My god, the egos around here... -kd5-
To be fair. You don't dislike The Social Network, you have no interest in seeing it. Said with no idolization of The Social Network, or ego.
Old 12-14-11, 10:10 AM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 195
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

I thought the Social Network was a stupid idea for a movie before seeing it...and after I saw it, I thought it was not only a stupid idea, but dull too
Old 12-14-11, 10:18 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 28,721
Received 1,033 Likes on 682 Posts
Re: Amazon's Top 100 for 2011

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
The customer list seems to make sense for the most part. I assume it is based on sales, no? Found it a little odd the Blow Out is listed there at 40. Seems weird that a Criterion should make the list.
And Le Cercle Rouge at #88. How many people buy a French movie about gangsters with perfect hats? After all,the Amazon Best Sellers Rank for the DVD is #38,330 in Movies & TV.

I wonder if Amazon just made up that list.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.