Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Starship Troopers remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Starship Troopers remake

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Starship Troopers remake

From Dark Horizons:

They've remade "Total Recall", they're working on a reboot of "Robocop", now a third Paul Verhoeven film is about to get another go around - "Starship Troopers".

Producer Neal Moritz is looking into a reboot of the 1997 sci-fi cult classic and have assigned "Thor," "X-Men: First Class" and frequent "Fringe" writers Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz to do the script according to Vulture.

Based on a novel by Robert A. Heinlein, Verhoeven's film followed a futuristic military unit as they progress from recruit to infantry to ranking officers against the backdrop of an interstellar war between mankind and a giant arachnoid species known as "the Bugs".

The film boasted impressive Oscar nominated visual effects, gory violence, healthy doses of male and female nudity, a cast of young unknowns with oodles of sex appeal, and a tone that blended war-time action with an often campy skewering of fascism - the latter irony seemingly lost on some critics and viewers at the time.

Well, fuck... no way this will be half as good as Verhoeven's.
Old 12-02-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Starship Troopers remake

sn: did they ever get the glitch fixed with the blu-ray release of the original? i'd like to pick it up someday
Old 12-02-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Just waiting for that PG-13 version of Showgirls.
Old 12-02-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
From Dark Horizons:

They've remade "Total Recall", they're working on a reboot of "Robocop", now a third Paul Verhoeven film is about to get another go around - "Starship Troopers".

Producer Neal Moritz is looking into a reboot of the 1997 sci-fi cult classic and have assigned "Thor," "X-Men: First Class" and frequent "Fringe" writers Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz to do the script according to Vulture.

Based on a novel by Robert A. Heinlein, Verhoeven's film followed a futuristic military unit as they progress from recruit to infantry to ranking officers against the backdrop of an interstellar war between mankind and a giant arachnoid species known as "the Bugs".

The film boasted impressive Oscar nominated visual effects, gory violence, healthy doses of male and female nudity, a cast of young unknowns with oodles of sex appeal, and a tone that blended war-time action with an often campy skewering of fascism - the latter irony seemingly lost on some critics and viewers at the time.

Well, fuck... no way this will be half as good as Verhoeven's.
Well, the original was shitty, so maybe this will only be half as shitty, which would also mean twice as good.
Old 12-02-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull

sn: did they ever get the glitch fixed with the blu-ray release of the original? i'd like to pick it up someday
Shit. I keep forgetting to send in my BD to get the replacement copy.
Old 12-02-11, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

really? really??
Old 12-02-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

So..are the BR of Starship Troopers currently for sale fixed? Mine has issues, but the BR I got was a used one on clearance at a Blockbuster liquidation, so I doubt I can send it off for replacement.
Old 12-02-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So..are the BR of Starship Troopers currently for sale fixed? Mine has issues, but the BR I got was a used one on clearance at a Blockbuster liquidation, so I doubt I can send it off for replacement.
What's wrong with the discs? That freezing menu?

Just pop in an SD card or thumb drive.
Old 12-02-11, 01:42 PM

remind what was the issue was/is, I don't think I've watched my copy to see if the flaw is there.
Old 12-02-11, 01:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hope the new one has bewbs.
Old 12-02-11, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hope the new one has bewbs.
Spoiler:

Old 12-02-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's doesn't say "remake" is implies Reboot, thus another right-to-dvd crapfest.
Old 12-02-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Maybe it will be closer to the novel
Old 12-02-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Maybe it will be closer to the novel
Doubtful. Hollywood would never touch the "real" Heinlein. The point of the novel was to advocate that citizens who'd served in the military be the only ones allowed to vote. Only if you've shown a willingness to die for your country should you be allowed to vote. That was Heinlein's belief. Also, the insect battles don't occur until the last 13 pages of the book.
Old 12-02-11, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Doubtful. Hollywood would never touch the "real" Heinlein. The point of the novel was to advocate that citizens who'd served in the military be the only ones allowed to vote. Only if you've shown a willingness to die for your country should you be allowed to vote. That was Heinlein's belief. Also, the insect battles don't occur until the last 13 pages of the book.
phht!
Old 12-02-11, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never read the book and was wondering if this film would be closer to it just for adaptation's sake...but yeah....I don't think we'll see a more Heinlein version of it.
Old 12-02-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmconhea
It's doesn't say "remake" is implies Reboot, thus another right-to-dvd crapfest.
I thought "reboot" was supposed to mean a resurrection of a property with a new story line, as if the previous films didn't exist (or at least with minor connections). But it seems like it's being used as another word for "remake" in some cases.
Old 12-02-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I love how the kneejerk fanboy reaction to this news is so geared to the misconception that they're remaking Verhoeven's movie and not adapting Heinlein's novel.
Old 12-02-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I love how the kneejerk fanboy reaction to this news is so geared to the misconception that they're remaking Verhoeven's movie and not adapting Heinlein's novel.
Source?
Old 12-02-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Source?
Old 12-02-11, 08:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...well played, sir.
Old 12-02-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

"Sorry I'm late. I had to get my power suit."
Old 12-02-11, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bug battles started a little over halfway into the book with the first drop into Klendathu. But if they followed the book, it wouldn't matter because it starts off with a demonstration raid on an alien city. If they really wanted to follow the book, a mini-series would be the best format instead of a movie.

Also, being a citizen had nothing to do with being willing to die for your country.
"Under our system every voter and officeholder is a man who has demonstrated through voluntary and difficult service that he places the welfare of the group ahead of personal advantage."
Old 06-27-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PG-13 Starship Troopers reboot in development! Would You Like to Know More?

Goddamnit. Really?

Originally Posted by /Film
Disemboweled bodies, gaping wounds and dripping blood are just a few trademarks in a Paul Verhoeven action movie, especially Starship Troopers, RoboCop and Total Recall. Violence is part of their charm and with all three films currently at different stages of being remade, the question of the universal appeal of excessive violence has been raised.

Total Recall comes out in a few weeks; RoboCop goes into production soon; and Starship Troopers is still being developed. In an interview with Empire Magazine, producer Toby Jaffe said that the remake of Starship Troopers will be less satirical, less violent, more patriotic and generally more in line with Robert Heinlein’s novel than was Verhoeven’s take. Read more after the jump.

Here’s what Jaffe, who also produced the Total Recall remake, told Empire Magazine about both films:

"The more expensive a film is, the harder it is now to make it that violent. With Recall in particular, we made a conscious choice to keep it tonally closer to something like Minority Report. It gives the studio, and us as producers, the opportunity to reintroduce it in a new way.

Verhoeven took [Robert Heinlein's 1959 novel] from one extreme and made it almost comical, whereas our job is to be a little more faithful to the book, and ground it a little more…. Verhoeven made his movie a critique of fascism whereas Heinlein was writing from the perspective of someone who had served in World War II. Y’know, one man’s fascism is another man’s patriotism…"

One of the things Verhoeven wanted to do, but couldn’t, was include the jump suits from the novel. Even with the massive budget and huge special effects of his movie, in the late ’90s it was too expensive to put that tech on screen. That’s not the case anymore. More from Jaffe:

"Working in a visual effects renaissance as we are, we have the ability to do so much more now. We can do the Jump Suits [armoured exoskeletons from Heinlein's novel], for example, which I don’t think they could have done before."

From an immediate financial standpoint, making a film less violent for a PG-13 rating makes sense. Less restrictions means a bigger potential in-theater audience. But producers have to look at the big picture. If Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers didn’t have its violence and non-traditional subtext, it probably wouldn’t stand the test of time in the way it does. The film surely sustained its popularity precisely because it was an unflinching, R-rated film.

Do you think a PG-13 Starship Troopers will be as effective as the original?
Source.

Nope. Don't want. Heinlein's novel sucked and Verhoeven’s take was awesome.
Old 06-27-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: PG-13 Starship Troopers reboot in development! Would You Like to Know More?

No.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.