Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest disappointment of 2011?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Biggest disappointment of 2011?

Old 11-24-11, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Biggest disappointment of 2011?

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Bad Teacher. Not that I was expecting something great, but it really was not as good as the trailers made it out to be. Plus the "LeBron James/Michael Jordan" argument was about 10 times shorter in the movie.
The commercials that emphasized that argument were all during the NBA playoffs while the Heat and Mavs were playing. That movie did suck which was disappointing cause I really liked Orange County and Zero Effect Jake Kasdan's first two movies.
Old 11-24-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Cars 2 - Biggest disappointment in a long time, it broke my trust in Pixar, I feel like I need therapy to get over how much I didn't enjoy that movie.

Hangover 2 - by the book and not funny

I find it funny that my 2 favorite films of the year are listed in the thread, Super 8 and The Tree of Life
Old 11-25-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cowboys & Aliens - So much talent, such a middling puddle of piss for results.
Old 11-26-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bridesmaids: Apatow and Feig's first film together? This should've been amazing. Instead we're given a two-and-a-half-hour (!!!) comedy that's been there and done that in comedies before. But wait, it feels fresh because it involves women and not men!

Cars 2: Pixar's worst film is granted a sequel? Oh, yeah, because of all the billions in merchandise its produced! I guess that makes sense. Pixar could've elevated the sequel and made it better than the first film. Because, really, there wasn't much the first film did well. What do they do? They manage to make a film that sucks more than the film prior to it it. Why? They took the character everyone hated and circled the film around him. Good fucking job.

Cowboys and Aliens: An amazing cast and crew that managed to make one of the worst films of the year.

The Hangover Part II: Same shit, different city. I will give props to Phelps for making a film much darker and cynical compared to its predecessor, however, it's nearly a scene-for-scene remake of the first. Just not as funny or memorable.
Old 11-26-11, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Bridesmaids: Apatow and Feig's first film together? This should've been amazing. Instead we're given a two-and-a-half-hour (!!!) comedy that's been there and done that in comedies before. But wait, it feels fresh because it involves women and not men!
The film was a little over 2 hours. Most people could give less than a shit that the 2 guys that brought us Freaks and Geeks put this film together.

It's still one of the most popular films of the year and DVD/BD sales are great.

It made me laugh, and apparently most other people too. It shouldn't have been amazing, it only needed to be funny, which it was.

And yes, it was nice to see women featured prominently in a film.
Old 11-26-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Green Lantern: I am a Green Lantern whore. I couldn't wait for this movie! I left the theater in tears. My hopes and dreams dashed.
Old 11-26-11, 10:26 PM

I thought I'd really like both Tree of Life and Melancholia going in, but I didn't like either movie.

And I was hoping Cowboys & Aliens and Hobo with a Shotgun would be entertaining and fun movies. While they both delivered what their titles promised, how very wrong I was....
Old 11-26-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bridesmaids, after reading the thread here I was expecting a lot. It was a snore fest for me.
Old 11-27-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miranda July's THE FUTURE.

All the promise she showed with the phenomenal ME, YOU, AND EVERYONE WE KNOW is thrown out the window. The 90-minute runtime felt like 90 years and while visually July is an accomplished director, she fails in every other category, shows no competence in her writing abilities and along with co-star Hamish Linklater is devoid of any notable screen presence. The movie is non-sensical garbage.
Old 11-27-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see how movies like Sucker Punch or Immortals could be disappointing. That's like saying you're disappointed at a new Transformers movie. The statement implies the filmmaker in question has a positive track record.

My most disappointing movie was, by far, Super 8. I get why people love the Spielbergian homages, but all it does is make me realize why some people hate Tarantino (the director, not the narcissist): putting style first. I liked the film, but I was really hoping for much more.
Old 11-27-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I don't see how movies like Sucker Punch or Immortals could be disappointing. That's like saying you're disappointed at a new Transformers movie. The statement implies the filmmaker in question has a positive track record.
....because there was a shit-load of hype/marketing surrounding those films.
Old 11-27-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
....because there was a shit-load of hype/marketing surrounding those films.
There's a shitload of hype around every bloated, massive-budget tentpole movie. That doesn't mean most people expect them to be good.
Old 11-27-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Yep.
Old 11-27-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Or...it could imply that the person holding those views likes the filmmaker's previous films, and not care about track records on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 11-27-11, 09:19 PM

Captain America for me.... I still thought it was okay, but I think I looked forward to it more than any of the other super hero movies of the summer, but ended up liking it the least.

Green Lantern actually worked for me. I'm a fan of Green Lantern comics, and even though the movie was flawed, I still found it enjoyable.
Old 11-27-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Miranda July's THE FUTURE.

All the promise she showed with the phenomenal ME, YOU, AND EVERYONE WE KNOW is thrown out the window. The 90-minute runtime felt like 90 years and while visually July is an accomplished director, she fails in every other category, shows no competence in her writing abilities and along with co-star Hamish Linklater is devoid of any notable screen presence. The movie is non-sensical garbage.
Wow, i'd have to agree here. I totally forgot about this movie, and with good reason.

It lacked the touching, intimate human introspection of Me, You, and Everyone we Know. In fact, it also lacked, a plot, a decent script, cohesive narrative, and did absolutely nothing to draw the viewer in.
Old 11-27-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Cowboys & Aliens - So much talent, such a middling puddle of piss for results.
Yeah. There were some movies I had no expectations for and enjoyed - Bridesmaids, Super 8, First Class - others I had expectations for that were met - Thor, Captain America - and a flood of films that I had no expectations for and just avoided - Pirates, Sucker Punch, Immortals, Transformers, etc. etc. But Cowboys & Aliens this was the only movie that I had expectations for that failed to deliver.
Old 11-27-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael Bay doesn't have a positive track record? His 9 movies have grossed over $4.5 billion worldwide.

Like it or not, movies are a business. Bay puts asses in the seats. That counts. I'd say he he has a tremendously positive track record...for directing movies that a lot of people pay money to see.
Old 11-27-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Michael Bay doesn't have a positive track record? His 9 movies have grossed over $4.5 billion worldwide.

Like it or not, movies are a business. Bay puts asses in the seats. That counts. I'd say he he has a tremendously positive track record...for directing movies that a lot of people pay money to see.
We're speaking quality here nothing to do with financials.
Old 11-27-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Though it got mixed reviews (with some critics giving it very positive reviews,) The Fall has a pretty good cult following in the film community (including a 7.9 on IMDb,) so it shouldn't be that surprising that some would have been excited for a new Singh film.
Old 11-27-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Super 8.

Great 1st half, horrible 2nd.
Old 11-27-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
We're speaking quality here nothing to do with financials.
Well not everybody thinks that Bay's movies suck. I don't think it's fair to lump him in with guys like Uwe Boll or others that constantly come out with shitty movies. Some of Bay's movies are more than decent and, like I said, his movies bring in money so the public must trust his track record enough to keep going to his movies.
Old 11-27-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bullshit & Aliens

Super 8
Old 11-27-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see Immortals but Sucker Punch to me should have been better than it was. I'm not saying 300 and Watchmen were cinematic masterpieces but I don't put those in the same pile as Michael Bay films. I expected more from SP because of that.
Old 11-27-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
Hall Pass

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.