Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MUD (2012) (dir. Jeff Nichols) (Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

MUD (2012) (dir. Jeff Nichols) (Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 02:31 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: MUD (2012) (dir. Jeff Nichols) (Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon)

This thing is blowing up Rotten Tomatoes. Tomato juice all over the damn place. And it is actually playing near me! I might check it out this weekend. Looks great.
Old 05-13-13, 02:41 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I loved it. Just an excellent...excellent piece of work.
Old 05-13-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I rarely ever go see movies twice at the theater anymore, but I'm going to have to see Mud again.
Old 05-13-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

loving all the positive feedback!

BTW...this is presently sitting at 98% on rotten tomatoes with 118 reviews counted
Old 05-13-13, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
loving all the positive feedback!

BTW...this is presently sitting at 98% on rotten tomatoes with 118 reviews counted
I may have to swing over just to see and read the handful of negative reviews.
Old 05-13-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I may have to swing over just to see and read the handful of negative reviews.
there's only 2!
Old 05-13-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it this weekend. I have to classify this as a must see. I admire the hell out of the filmmakers for casting major stars but letting the two young boys be the primary focus. This really reminded me a lot of the works of Faulkner.
Old 05-16-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I really enjoyed this movie. Good performances all around. I knew I recognized Ray McKinnon from somewhere, heard that voice and placed him as the Reverend from Deadwood.
Old 05-17-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

The reviews are stellar. I've never seen ratings this strong. 98% on RT, 128 out of 130 are positive. I'll check it out this weekend.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 05-17-13 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 02:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

very good movie. nice little low key drama with good characters and solid acting by all. not as memorable as Take Shelter and i have Shotgun Stories in my instant queue, but a solid movie about life in that rural setting and one boy's adventure growing into a young adolscent.
Old 05-18-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Saw this earlier today, fantastic film and the best I've seen this year. Shame that it was officially released last year, as I imagine that means it will not be eligible for any awards for next year's Oscars. Great, great acting by the entire cast, fantastic direction, engaging story. Loved it.
Old 05-25-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Mud is the best film I've seen in a couple years. my number 2 film in the last couple years would be Killer Joe, which also stars Matthew McConaughey. When Matthew McConaughey takes acting seriously, he's one of the best actors on the planet. Both kids were excellent, especially the kid from Tree of Life.

The acting, writing and direction was just stellar across the board. Jeff Nichols has improved his craft with every subsequent outing, I'd say this is his finest film to date.

I'd highly recommend checking this out if you can find a theater showing it.
Old 05-25-13, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm
Mud is the best film I've seen in a couple years. my number 2 film in the last couple years would be Killer Joe, which also stars Matthew McConaughey. When Matthew McConaughey takes acting seriously, he's one of the best actors on the planet. Both kids were excellent, especially the kid from Tree of Life.

The acting, writing and direction was just stellar across the board. Jeff Nichols has improved his craft with every subsequent outing, I'd say this is his finest film to date.

I'd highly recommend checking this out if you can find a theater showing it.
Hopefully, it continues to make little money. Gotta get crap like this off the big screen so we have more room for multiple showings of comic book movies.
Old 05-25-13, 02:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering now Jeff Nichols is represented by a Warner Bros agent... i think Mud did extremely well monetarily
Old 05-26-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

First, it's now at 99% on RT. Saw it yesterday and fucking loved it. Will definitely be in my top of 2013. The performances Nichols got from those kids is nothing short of astonishing.
Old 05-26-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

everyone please go see this movie. you won't regret it.
Old 06-01-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Saw this today and thought it was great. Very effective performance throughout.
Old 06-07-13, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from it. Not a single bad thing in it. Everything was too notch and very fresh while almost have a classic literature feel to it. For some reason it felt like it was a book to me, in a good way. The presentation of it just felt so good. Best movie of the year so far for me.
Old 06-09-13, 02:52 PM

It's a damn shame this film has only made $18 million, especially considering the critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive word of mouth from the general public.

I've yet to meet someone who didn't like it.

And we wonder why summer is so bloated with fucking comic book movies and shitty sequels.
Old 06-09-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Mud does not have a super big distribution, so the numbers its generating are pretty damn good considering that.
Old 06-09-13, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not trying to bring the film down as I find it to be one of the top films this year so far but did anyone else notice the terrible foreshadowing? It's not enough for me to dislike the film but it's certainly enough for me to take notice and hold that against it.
Some spoilers below.
Spoiler:
In fact i didn't really care for the whole snake pit thing in general. Just a bit too over the top. Just didn't buy into that.

Also, (again, not trying to bring it down) but MM's acting was just good, not great. I think people WANT to applaud him since he is stepping out of the typical tripe he ends up in, but he really didn't do anything that made me jump up and clap. He certainly did a good job but I think people are overreacting to this film somewhat.

Still one of the best of the year, though.

Maybe I'm just too picky but I think it's a valid criticism.
Old 06-09-13, 06:35 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I'm not trying to bring the film down as I find it to be one of the top films this year so far but did anyone else notice the terrible foreshadowing? It's not enough for me to dislike the film but it's certainly enough for me to take notice and hold that against it.
Some spoilers below.
Spoiler:
In fact i didn't really care for the whole snake pit thing in general. Just a bit too over the top. Just didn't buy into that.

Also, (again, not trying to bring it down) but MM's acting was just good, not great. I think people WANT to applaud him since he is stepping out of the typical tripe he ends up in, but he really didn't do anything that made me jump up and clap. He certainly did a good job but I think people are overreacting to this film somewhat.

Still one of the best of the year, though.

Maybe I'm just too picky but I think it's a valid criticism.
I would agree with that. He was very good in it. But he has done so much crap over the last few years that now that he is putting out consistent good work, it makes it look better than it is. Kind of like Sandra Bullock and The Blind Side.
Old 06-09-13, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
It's a damn shame this film has only made $18 million, especially considering the critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive word of mouth from the general public.

I've yet to meet someone who didn't like it.

And we wonder why summer is so bloated with fucking comic book movies and shitty sequels.
I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Some very good acting especially by the two kids, McConaughey and Shepard. I went with my wife and she hadn't even heard of the movie and she loved it as well. You are right it is a little disheartening that movies like this go under the radar while other movies gets pushed to the forefront.
Old 06-10-13, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
That's kind of my take on the whole movie. I think it's a very good film and I'm happy to see that it's getting good word of mouth. It's playing at a couple theaters near me and it seems to have outlasted several "major" releases. It's always nice to see smaller, more personal films like this do well.

Having said that, I'm slightly baffled by all the praise it's been getting. It's a good flick, but I can't see myself revisiting it ever again and doubt it will even make my top 10 list at the end of the year.
Old 06-10-13, 10:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Some very good acting especially by the two kids, McConaughey and Shepard. I went with my wife and she hadn't even heard of the movie and she loved it as well. You are right it is a little disheartening that movies like this go under the radar while other movies gets pushed to the forefront.
Really neat story how the kid who plays Neckbone ended up in the movie:

"Lofland was born in Briggsville, Arkansas, to Billy and Debra Lofland.
He began his film career playing Neckbone in Jeff Nichols' Mud, with Matthew McConaughey and Tye Sheridan. When Nichols decided he wanted to find a young actor locally for the pivotal part of "Neckbone" in his feature, MUD, he had casting notices placed in regional newspapers. Coming across one of them, Jacob was quick to recognize that he fit every adjective of Neck's personality description, as well as bringing the boating and cycle riding experience Jeff was looking for. He sent in an application, and was called in to read for the Casting Director in Little Rock. Less than 3 weeks after seeing the open casting call in the paper, he took his first plane ride to Austin, TX, to audition for Jeff Nichols and producer Sarah Green. He was offered the role within 24 hours, and within a month found himself on location with a full movie crew."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Lofland

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.