Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indonesian action flick "The Raid" (2012) getting rave reviews

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indonesian action flick "The Raid" (2012) getting rave reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Indonesian action flick "The Raid" (2012) getting rave reviews

What makes these fights special is some of the brutality, like those slashes across a guy's legs, from thigh to knee. Ouch!
Old 01-22-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Release date is March 23rd.
Old 01-23-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Release date is March 23rd.
I'm guessing to theaters???
Old 01-23-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I'm guessing to theaters???
Yes. This was picked up by Sony Picture Classics. I just watched it last night at a midnight screening at sundance. This film was amazing. Some of the martial arts in this film are just so awesome its hard to describe. The crowd I was with was cheering and clapping during the film. If I didn’t have to get up for work so early for work today I would have stayed for the Q&A. I highly recommend this film.
Old 01-23-12, 03:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

The DVDTalk Review is also quite favourable. I'm really hoping it comes to my city. I'll be there on opening night.
Old 01-23-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fingers crossed it comes to a theater near me.
Old 01-24-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash
Yes. This was picked up by Sony Picture Classics. I just watched it last night at a midnight screening at sundance. This film was amazing. Some of the martial arts in this film are just so awesome its hard to describe. The crowd I was with was cheering and clapping during the film. If I didn’t have to get up for work so early for work today I would have stayed for the Q&A. I highly recommend this film.
Thanks. Sure hope it makes it to Miami.
Old 02-23-12, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iwJZF97h1k4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QsI0RrUgZa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Badass new US trailer....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_YLlTJAR6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also....uh...we're getting a subtitle to the film title. Interesting. Possibly cuz of the remake coming out here in the states Sony may plan to make a franchise of sorts w/ Raid?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-23-12 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ it was actually mentioned by Sony that since a trillogy is already planned (of the original movie) that it would be wiser to give a subtitle.

I really hated the tag of "from the studio that brought you crouching tiger, and kung fu hustle" almost seemed cheap
Old 02-23-12, 10:57 PM
Banned

Ah. I just thought it was one sequel to the original. Didn't know a trilogy was the end goal.
Old 03-03-12, 11:56 PM
Banned

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-reavq1wQCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't been to the movies in over 6 months but my ass will be in a seat for this. Looks great.
Old 03-11-12, 07:32 PM
Banned

<object width="600" height="453"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53951"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53951" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="453" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="453"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53952"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53952" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="453" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="453"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53948"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53948" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="453" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="453"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53949"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53949" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="453" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="600" height="453"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53950"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/53950" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="453" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 03-11-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why watch these and spoil parts of the movie?
Old 03-11-12, 08:29 PM
Banned

Cuz some of us aren't ruined by watching them? I dunno. I'm the type of person, among others here as well I guess, that isn't ruined by watching clips. It doesn't affect me on the watching experience I'll have in the theater. It could give me a feel for it's quality or whatever. And that's fine. It doesn't ruin it for me. Granted...I'm the guy that already read the script to Django Unchained and heavily anticipate it as well. Seeing pieces of the film doesn't bother me in any form. I want to see this film very much so. And the more I see..the happier I get for the most part. It hypes me up in a way.
Old 03-12-12, 12:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I looked at the website and it says it's only opening in NYC and LA on March 23rd with other cities "coming soon."

Overseas, I read that it's coming out on the 22nd, but nothing more specific than that.
Old 03-12-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Fingers crossed it comes to a theater near me.
Looks like I got my wish. The Carolina Asheville will be getting it on April 13th. The theater is almost an hour away from me but I'm sure it'll be worth the trip.
Old 03-12-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Cuz some of us aren't ruined by watching them? I dunno. I'm the type of person, among others here as well I guess, that isn't ruined by watching clips. It doesn't affect me on the watching experience I'll have in the theater.
You really can't know that for sure since you can't be spoiled and unspoiled at the same time

Who knows, you might enjoy some movies a lot more if you hadn't seen 20 clips or read the script.
Old 03-12-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

100% on RT so far (12 reviews). Looks promising
Old 03-12-12, 10:14 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Although I'm not interested in this movie (and am not anti-remakes), why waste money remaking it instead of just releasing it as-is in theaters?
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
@Rocshemp: Cuz americans hate reading at movies. Movies are JUST entertainment and aren't supposed to make you think which I guess reading makes you do that. The moment you make us read you're asking too much.
The part I don't get... this film seems to be successful mainly for the fight choreography style and the action setpieces the director has put together. The appeal of this film doesn't seem to be story-based... as in the story/concept seems to be a good vehicle for the action, but not really the draw itself. So to hire somebody else to come in and remake this (I understand they offered it to the original director, but still) seems to defeat the point.
Old 03-12-12, 10:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing that the clips spoil for me is that I find myself paying attention to the apartment numbers on the doors... so I'm starting to guess which SWAT members make it to certain floors.

Oh, this is definitely coming out in Australia on the 22nd. I'll be in Perth that day.

it was actually mentioned by Sony that since a trillogy is already planned (of the original movie) that it would be wiser to give a subtitle
Also, I just read on the director's blog that they could not secure the title, "The Raid" in the US. They tried (very hard), but their hands were tied. I don't know if that means the title is changing worldwide, though. The director did say that he plans to have both scores on the eventual DVD release, so there's that.
Old 03-12-12, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
The only thing that the clips spoil for me is that I find myself paying attention to the apartment numbers on the doors... so I'm starting to guess which SWAT members make it to certain floors.

Oh, this is definitely coming out in Australia on the 22nd. I'll be in Perth that day.

Also, I just read on the director's blog that they could not secure the title, "The Raid" in the US. They tried (very hard), but their hands were tied. I don't know if that means the title is changing worldwide, though. The director did say that he plans to have both scores on the eventual DVD release, so there's that.

Blu-ray, bro. Could care less wtf happens to DVD now that BD is here.
Old 03-12-12, 10:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's a given. I only mentioned DVD because, if I remember correctly, the director only mentioned DVD in his blog post.
Old 03-14-12, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I see of this film, the less I get interested. It's not supposed to be like that, right?

I feel like I'm watching the same scene over and over. Same rhythm, location, moves, camera positions, cutting on impact...and like someone said above, there's no story here. It's a situation.

Anyone here seen the film? Is it really just a series of interchangeable fight scenes? Does anyone in it have a personality? Any clever dialogue? Is it playfully absurd, or a total grind?
Old 03-15-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sigh, apparently Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park fame was hired to re score the movie (after it had permiered at TIFF)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.