Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Too many Trailers!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Too many Trailers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Too many Trailers!!!

So i just got back from seeing Don't be afraid of the dark. I checked the time at the end and there was twenty minutes worth of movie trailers! It felt like 7-10 previews were shown. It got to the point where i wanted to break into the projectionist room

I remember years ago there were maybe ten minutes worth of trailers shown. This has just gotten out of hand. Even my parents were getting annoyed at how many trailers were being shown.

Anyone else think the theaters are showing too many movie previews? Or is it a studio mandated number of trailers being forced down our throats?
Old 09-05-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Re: Too many Trailers!!!

Personally, I disagree. The Trailers are a legit part of the movie going experience for me and I enjoy seeing promos for movies coming down the line.
Old 09-05-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I honestly think it's a result with a saying many people had almost 20 years ago:

"The best part of going to the movies is the previews!!"

Too many trailers nowadays prob would have ended a while ago but with how much it costs to go see a film and barely anyone going to the theaters anymore.....they prob rely on it a bit.
Old 09-05-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

20 minutes of previews is pretty much standard. Been that way for quite some time.
Old 09-05-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

20 minutes is too much. I'd say 10 minutes is just about right.
Old 09-05-11, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
So i just got back from seeing Don't be afraid of the dark. I checked the time at the end and there was twenty minutes worth of movie trailers! It felt like 7-10 previews were shown. It got to the point where i wanted to break into the projectionist room

I remember years ago there were maybe ten minutes worth of trailers shown. This has just gotten out of hand. Even my parents were getting annoyed at how many trailers were being shown.

Anyone else think the theaters are showing too many movie previews? Or is it a studio mandated number of trailers being forced down our throats?
I think you're overthinking this a bit.

Normally when I got a movie theater it's like...4 or 5 trailers and then the movie. THOUGH...when I saw the new Apes flick..it clocked at little over 16 mins of trailers. It was odd but whatever.
Old 09-05-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I remember in the days before they started "First Look" it was standard to see about ten minutes worth of advertising plus fifteen to twenty of previews. I don't mind the previews unless they're all for stuff I don't care to watch. Most of summer tends to yield weak trailers as it is all for stuff for late summer/early fall which tends to produce crap. This time of year tends to have good previews as a lot of them are late fall Oscar bait types mixed with a few holiday blockbuster teasers. Of course you get a lot of crappy looking horror movie ones as well.
Old 09-05-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love trailers, absolutely hate missing them when I go see something. I don't mind if they run long, but it only becomes an annoyance when they all totally suck.
Old 09-05-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a movie-going fan and enjoy trailers but even I think it's in excess, especially nowadays when you can catch them on the Internet and such. 4 max is fine by me. I also hate First Look or whatever it's called.
Old 09-05-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of trailers. I always like to see what's coming up in the future. It does suck when the only trailers are ones I've seen numerous times on tv already and/or ones that I couldn't care less about. It's really cool to see a totally new trailer though. I don't spend any time looking at trailers online so the only time I see them is on tv or when I actually go to the theater, so I do tend to see some new ones at the theater, which is really cool.
Old 09-05-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I remember last year I could not got to any movie from early July to early September without seeing a trailer for Devil.
Old 09-05-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only get exhausted by trailers if it's a movie I really want to see but if it's something where I just go cause I'm bored I don't mind.
Old 09-05-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Since I go to movies so selectively these days, I'm usually in a particular mood for a particular movie and the trailers tend to throw me completely out of that mood. It's only when someone has thought it through and placed trailers somewhat akin to the movie playing that it doesn't bother me. For instance, when I went to see BRIDESMAIDS, the trailers were for THE CHANGE-UP and some other comedies, so I didn't mind so much. But seeing trailer after trailer filled with nonstop CGI drives me nuts. Y'know, like THE IMMORTALS or CONAN or JOHN CARTER or...whatever else like that they're previewing now.
Old 09-05-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife tends to zone out during the trailers. Often they go on so long that I have to wake her up to tell her that the movie is finally starting. I don't mind a few, but when they last longer than a 1/3 of the running time of the film that you're seeing, it is a bit much.
Old 09-05-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Roybq
My wife tends to zone out during the trailers. Often they go on so long that I have to wake her up to tell her that the movie is finally starting. I don't mind a few, but when they last longer than a 1/3 of the running time of the film that you're seeing, it is a bit much.
Dude, this is when you send her out for Popcorn and Soda.
Old 09-05-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

My theater usually has 2 or 3 trailers before the movie starts. I actually wish there were more.
Old 09-06-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone wants less trailers, but no-one wants to pay more for their tickets. Same whinging as always.
Old 09-06-11, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Everyone wants less trailers, but no-one wants to pay more for their tickets. Same whinging as always.
Wrong. Did you read all the posts?
Old 09-06-11, 02:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure you're seeing 20 minutes of trailers, and not 15 minutes of "pre-show entertainment" (which often includes trailers), and then 10 minutes of trailers?

At my theater, they play pre-show entertainment, which has ads and trailers, then they play a straight set of ads, many of which were in the pre-show, and then trailers, many of which were also in the pre-show. My roommate complained to me about it last time he saw a movie at my theater and I told him to just see movies in the IMAX, where we have no ads and only a few trailers.
Old 09-06-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

disagree. I love trailers and am pissed if I miss even one.
Old 09-06-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Are you sure you're seeing 20 minutes of trailers, and not 15 minutes of "pre-show entertainment" (which often includes trailers), and then 10 minutes of trailers?

At my theater, they play pre-show entertainment, which has ads and trailers, then they play a straight set of ads, many of which were in the pre-show, and then trailers, many of which were also in the pre-show. My roommate complained to me about it last time he saw a movie at my theater and I told him to just see movies in the IMAX, where we have no ads and only a few trailers.
Plenty of times I have seen 20 minutes of Trailers, after the "pre-show entertainment" (which ends at the time the movie is listed as starting). I haven't very often seen the same trailer during the pre-show and then again during the regular trailers though.
Old 09-06-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet

20 minutes of trailers is normal. They don't start until the movie's listed start time. They're not part of the pre-show entertainment, which is why I think it wears on me. I've already sat through 15 minutes of promos and ads, now I got to get through 20 more minutes trailers before the movie starts. I'd rather they drop the pre-show and start showing the trailers then. I'd enjoy them a lot more.
Old 09-06-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Trailers are great and there can almost never be too many of them.

Other commercials, on the other hand...
Old 09-06-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't think I've ever thought there were too many trailers. It's part of the experience, and I enjoy them.
Old 09-06-11, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Ever since Youtube I could care less about trailers I just hate missing the beginning of movies. I try and get popcorn during them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.