Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Argo (Dir: Ben Affleck)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Argo (Dir: Ben Affleck)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Argo (Dir: Ben Affleck)

Argo is doing pretty good at Rotten Tomatoes..looking at the 'negative' reviews, They seem to not really focus on the movie, but outside elements:

.a deeply myopic view of the world, one focused through a distinctly - and distorted - American lens.
Undeniably rousing, but deeply irresponsible, Argo fans the flames surrounding historical events likely to still remain raw in the memory of many viewers.
Old 10-11-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah that one from Slant Magazine is a bit oversensitive. It basically summed up to "Great flick but this isn't the time to have an anti-Iranian movie! 2 stars."

The other review is very similar with the line: "Am I being too sensitive? Perhaps. But at a time when war with Iran is being discussed in certain American circles, I don't think this sort of cinematic fear mongering - even in a historical piece – should be easily dismissed."

Eberts 4-star review: http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs....IEWS/121019999
Old 10-11-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Not to get off topic, but man, a sci-fi movie with those designs would have kicked ass. Since there is/was an unused script, any chance Affleck might make Lord of Light if this is successful and generates enough interest (kind of like a Machete effect)?
Old 10-12-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This is getting great reviews nearly across the board. Check out Metacritic instead of Rotten Tomatoes. They cut out the lesser known critics.

Can't wait to see this film.
Old 10-12-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Can't wait. Affleck has proven that he's better than anyone ever gave him credit for.
I just remember him as being made fun of for Gigli and all of a sudden I hear now that he's this very capable director. I saw the trailer for it, have no idea what it's about, but I'm looking forward to this.

After Dredd, I'm seeing this, hopefully before Skyfall.
Old 10-12-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Argo at 94% at Rotten Tomatoes

Argo at 87% at Metacritic: WHich is the highest of any potential oscar contender that I can see
Old 10-12-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This review by Kelly Vance is pretty funny:

It's the definition of far-fetched popcorn-patriotic heroics.
It might have been interesting if Argo had been made by an Iranian director, but the "fake movie" shenanigans would probably have never occurred to the likes of Jafar Panahi or Mohsen Makhmalbaf. Only an American could have baked that cake.
*bang Head*
Old 10-12-12, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

had the day off. saw this movie.

see it now!!!

wow! just utterly breathtaking and fantastic. Affleck's best to date. very taut, tense and at times hysterically funny (John Goodman and Alan Arkin were inspired casting and played so well off each other). it really was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat. a thriller with heart and humanity, and even though you may think you know what happens, you'll still be surprised.

amazing achievement by Affleck, Clooney and company and a Best Picture Nod for certain.

only minor gripe...
Spoiler:
should have ended before the syrupy sweet ending. i know it was relevant, but i think un-needed in this particular case. i was really hoping it would end right after the last Cranston/Affleck exchange outside of HQ.
very minor nitpick though.

see it now and exclaim "Argofuck yourself!" from the top of your lungs!!!
Old 10-12-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damnit Scott. Sounds great.

Did anyone think Affleck had this in him? That by the end of his career, he would be potentially be more known as a director than a actor? I never saw that when Affleck was hitting bottom with Gigli.
Old 10-12-12, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Refresh my memory, Scott, because I don't remember a

Spoiler:
"syrupy sweet" ending
Spoiler:
the reconciliation with wife and son. it was such a minor occurrence in the film that i think to end it on that note was a little too sweet an ending for such a politically charged, yet humane movie

i just thought it should have ended sooner and rolled the info. scrolls and not like that, but as i said minor nitpick and could be me a little over analyzing.
Old 10-12-12, 12:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You're fast. I deleted my post because I finally remembered that scene.
Old 10-12-12, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Damnit Scott. Sounds great.

Did anyone think Affleck had this in him? That by the end of his career, he would be potentially be more known as a director than a actor? I never saw that when Affleck was hitting bottom with Gigli.
saw this with mom actually and she couldn't believe how far he has come. she used to hate his acting performances but can't get enough of him now both acting and directing.
Old 10-12-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who was ready to live in a world where Ben Affleck was one of our finest directors with seemingly 3 home runs right out of the box?
Old 10-12-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the record, I've always dug Affleck because of his involvement with the various Kevin Smith projects, and he seemed like a cool guy. But I didn't expect this from him.
Old 10-12-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
had the day off. saw this movie.

see it now!!!

wow! just utterly breathtaking and fantastic. Affleck's best to date. very taut, tense and at times hysterically funny (John Goodman and Alan Arkin were inspired casting and played so well off each other). it really was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat. a thriller with heart and humanity, and even though you may think you know what happens, you'll still be surprised.

amazing achievement by Affleck, Clooney and company and a Best Picture Nod for certain.

only minor gripe...
Spoiler:
should have ended before the syrupy sweet ending. i know it was relevant, but i think un-needed in this particular case. i was really hoping it would end right after the last Cranston/Affleck exchange outside of HQ.
very minor nitpick though.

see it now and exclaim "Argofuck yourself!" from the top of your lungs!!!
I didn't have the day off but took half a day because I couldn't wait any longer to see it!! I could not sum it up any better!

Just hand the Best Picture and Director Oscars over now.

Seriously during the last half I had cold sweats and my heart was racing so fast I literally was worn out after seeing this.
Old 10-12-12, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
For the record, I've always dug Affleck because of his involvement with the various Kevin Smith projects, and he seemed like a cool guy. But I didn't expect this from him.
This. I never really cared for his non Smith films but yeah...he seemed like a pretty down to earth guy...I was fucking amazed w/ GBG.
Old 10-12-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Affleck was responsible for smith's best movie, and smith was responsible for giving Damon and affleck their big break. I enjoy how each helped the other out
Old 10-12-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@scott: where is the review thread?
Old 10-12-12, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
@scott: where is the review thread?
eh...with this so few pages, it didn't seem logical to start another. next time
Old 10-12-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Fantastic film. A certain Oscar Best Picture contender. Will it win? There's still a couple months left in the year and some big hitters have yet to be released.

I've never been an Affleck hater. Didn't like or not like the guy. Now with this 3rd excellent directorial effort he's made a believer out of me. He's one of the top directors out there and I look forward to his future projects.

You have to give a director mad props if he can make a movie exciting and tension filled even though you already know the outcome.

Grade: A
Old 10-12-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best movie of 2012 so far. Hands down. Loved it.
Old 10-12-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
You have to give a director mad props if he can make a movie exciting and tension filled even though you already know the outcome.

Grade: A
Agree 100%. Even though you know what is going to happen WOW the journey to get there is so f'n great.
Old 10-13-12, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

So damn good. If you'd have told me ten years ago that Affleck would be directing and starring in movies this good I'd have never believed you. He's really come into his own though. Awesome performances throughout by everyone especially Affleck and the supporting cast of Cranston, Goodman, and Arkin.
Old 10-13-12, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott is right on about everything. Affleck is 3 for 3, a tight movie here that is very engrossing. Minor quibbles about the ending aside, a great film.

I've always liked Affleck, especially since he seemed like a super smart, funny guy. It is awesome that he is now thought of as a director who will always churn out a great film.
Old 10-13-12, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.