Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you applaud at the movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you applaud at the movies?
Never. Don't be silly.
69.14%
Only at the end.
4.94%
Only if others go first.
11.11%
Absolutely! If there's a great line or a badass moment, I clap!
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Do you applaud at the movies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Do you applaud at the movies?

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Only at a film festival, at the end of the film, and that's only if I actually enjoyed the film in question.

I've never felt the urge to clap at a "regular" showing. Who am I clapping for, the projectionist?
This sums it up. I'll clap at film festivals to show respect.

The times I've felt a bit torn was during Rifftrax live events. It's live, but they aren't live right in front of me. So, you see and hear the crowd cheering for them and there's that pack mentality part of me that comes up feeling like I should applaud as well. But then the logical part always speaks up and I get reminded that those people are many miles from me.
Old 08-29-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only when the filmmakers are in attendance and the movie was good.

If the movie sucks and the filmmakers are in attendance, that's when you boo...
Old 08-29-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never have. The only times it seemed "okay" (and even then I didn't participate) was during the Rocky III & IV as the crowds always got into it when Rocky came back. Another was at the end of "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade." That was the first time I had ever heard a crowd applaud at the end of a movie and it seemed like it was just an appreciation for the entire series. At the end of "Crystal Skull" the crowd booed
Old 08-29-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Count me among the crowd who thinks it's absolutely stupid to clap at a movie theater. The only way it can be acceptable is if the cast and/or crew is part of the audience, like at a festival.
Old 08-29-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If you can think of a better way for me to show my gratitude I'd like to hear it.
Moving to XCritic...
Old 08-29-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

This should make a fascinating blog post.
Old 08-29-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait a minute, you mean that big screen doesn't get pulled up revealing the actual actors!? I didn't know that!

It depends, if I enjoyed the movie and the crowd is having fun, then yes, I'll clap. It's the interaction with the people in the theater, the fun of the movie, being happy that I didn't pay $10.50 for a piece of crap.

I really don't understand why there are some who are so offended by the clapping. Is it really that serious? Stay home and watch the darn movie on your 78-inch television where you can also sound proof the experience so you don't get distracted with someone coughing.

I get way more irritated by the person texting in the next aisle or the screaming kids.
Old 08-29-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope, never. Seems silly to me.
Old 08-29-11, 04:43 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Not usually. The local art house has revival screenings of classic films during the summer and those always get a round of applause at the end. My first memory of an audience applauding was with The Lion King. Grown men rose to their feet and gave it a standing ovation, which I found so strange at the time. Then later, it happened with the Star Wars: Special Edition release. That was actually my first time seeing the film in it's entirety and I was just as enthused as everyone else.

One funny incident I can recall: I was taking in another showing of The Phantom Menace on it's second week of release. Everybody had applauded it on opening day, but now the movie ended and just one guy had jumped up and cheered. After realizing he was alone, he turned around and pleaded "C'mon everybody, that was great! Woo! Give it up!". Even though the movie wasn't quite a home run for me, I joined him briefly in short applause -- mainly so he wouldn't feel so alone.

Recently, this happened during the Avengers teaser at the end of Captain America. I clapped right along with everyone else on that one.
Old 08-29-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't. But my wife and brother do, specially when there is a funny moment kinda weird if you ask me
Old 08-29-11, 05:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If someone associated with the film is there, and it was good, then yes I will clap (which has never happened ever). Otherwise it's pretty silly.
Old 08-29-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes. If there is a great moment or the end of something like with the last Harry Potter. All of you heartless people probably let Tinkerbell die!
Old 08-29-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This. Only time I've ever seen applause at a theater was a screening of Forrest Gump. It was quite odd.
Old 08-29-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
This should make a fascinating blog post.
I hope so! I've just finished the first draft and will be submitting it shortly. I'll let you know if/when it gets published. My thanks to everyone who has responded!
Old 08-29-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
I really don't understand why there are some who are so offended by the clapping. Is it really that serious? Stay home and watch the darn movie on your 78-inch television where you can also sound proof the experience so you don't get distracted with someone coughing.
I'm not offended. There are lots of stupid things I don't do in public simply because they are stupid.
Old 08-29-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it is a little weird but I think the clapping is for your fellow audience , not for the director.A movie is a real experience they had with each other and want to cheer. it is part of the community of it.
Old 08-29-11, 08:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
it is a little weird but I think the clapping is for your fellow audience , not for the director.A movie is a real experience they had with each other and want to cheer. it is part of the community of it.
Something like that, I guess.

A movie theater is a communal experience. I don't want talking throughout the film or multiple instances of clapping or booing, but once or twice a film, when appropriate, particularly at the end, is nice.

Can't imagine being a person who would answer 'never'. Might as well stay home and never go to a theater.
Old 08-29-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Pretty much this as well...
Old 08-29-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

What about if you catch the clap at the movies?
Old 08-29-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never. Don't be silly.

I'll remember way back to '98 and I went and saw Halloween H20: 20 Years Later and then all of the peoples clapping loudly when
Spoiler:
when Laurie Strode cut off Michael Myers's head with axe at the end.
Old 08-30-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rarely clap for a film unless the filmakers or stars are in the audience, but I've been in theaters where the audience has gone nuts for a great line or moment in a movie. Most recently, I watched "The Lion King 3D" and the audience applauded at the end of the film but probably because some of the animators were in the audience.

I notice it happens more when I see movies near the LA area. I thought it was interesting when the audience applauded all of the musical numbers in "Chicago" and gave a standing ovation to the end of "Babe" when it first opened. "March of the Penguins" and "Lord of the Rings" films were also applauded. Then when I heard the applause at the end of "Hot Tub Time Machine" at the Arclight last year, I started to suspect that Southern California audiences applaud most every film. Is that true?
Old 08-30-11, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Only when I see a classic film at the art house. Usually the entire theater is clapping during the credits.
Old 08-30-11, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I've never felt the urge to clap at a "regular" showing. Who am I clapping for, the projectionist?
I was there to hear it a few times! I ran "Phantom Menace" opening night and through the booth walls I could hear everyone cheering when the "Star Wars" title came up- that was pretty cool.

I only applaud movies I like that I watch at home with my cats.
Old 08-30-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Only when I see a classic film at the art house. Usually the entire theater is clapping during the credits.
As much as I love classic films and art houses for that matter, that just comes off as a tad bit pretentious. In fact it would be downright embarrassing to be in a theater where everyone is reigning down thunderous applause at the end of a film.
Old 08-30-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I ran "Phantom Menace" opening night and through the booth walls I could hear everyone cheering when the "Star Wars" title came up-
And then everyone just sat in stunned silence when that mega-turd finally came to a close?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.