Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Artist - A silent film released in 2011

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Artist - A silent film released in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: The Artist - A silent film released in 2011

Originally Posted by Sondheim
B. If I go to see it one of the multiplexes instead of my local arthouse, am I going to be surrounded by people who didn't research what they were going to watch (other than that it won the Golden Globe), and who are going to become increasingly frustrated/angry as they realize what it is? Or is it enough of a "crowd-pleaser" that people, even those with an aversion to black-and-white/silent films, have a good chance of enjoying it anyway?
In general, going to an arthouse theater is a more pleasant experience than a multiplex, so if that's an option I would recommend taking advantage.
Old 01-18-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
In general, going to an arthouse theater is a more pleasant experience than a multiplex, so if that's an option I would recommend taking advantage.
Unfortunately, the seats, screens, and sound systems of the arthouse are far inferior to any of the local multiplexes. Plus the arthouse is twenty minutes further away. Otherwise I wouldn't even ask the question, since I'd prefer to support an independent theater over any of the corporate multiplexes. But if audiences are going to be a problem, I'll take the hit and go to the further theater.
Old 01-18-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I saw it at both the AFI Silver and a regular multiplex. It was good at both, nothing bad audience wise.
Old 01-18-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

And people are demanding refunds because it's silent and in Academy ratio, surprisingly not Florida:

http://news.yahoo.com/silent-britons...135318099.html

Cinemagoers in the British city of Liverpool demanded refunds on tickets for Oscar favourite "The Artist" because they did not realise it is a silent movie, a cinema chain said.
Old 01-18-12, 04:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And people are demanding refunds because it's silent and in Academy ratio, surprisingly not Florida:

http://news.yahoo.com/silent-britons...135318099.html
Old 01-18-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People are silly.

I really don't understand people who don't do at least a little research before they pay to see a movie - or if they don't do any research, I don't understand how they can complain that it wasn't what they were expecting.

Of course, from the way the article makes it sound, it seems to be a fairly limited phenomenon, and probably not much of a news story.
Old 01-18-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once had someone asking me for a refund because The Notebook was not about a notebook, but in fact, about "young people."
Old 01-19-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Artist racked up 12! BAFTA nominations. I don't think it'll get that many on Tuesday, but it doesn't appear like this film will be stopped.
Old 01-19-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-20-12, 08:44 PM
Banned

This movie was super lame. Boring. Girlfriend slept through the entire 3/4 of film and I wanted to join her.
SO overrated doesnt begin to describe this corny, cloying, ridiculous boring movie with a recycled plot we have seen hundreds of times before but never this obviously or cliche.
I have no idea why people are saying this is award-worthy. I will cry if this wins Oscars though. Just insulting when there were many better films released in 2011.
** out of *****
Old 01-27-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Blooper Reel.

<object width="100%" height="280px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.allocine.fr/blogvision/19303278"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.allocine.fr/blogvision/19303278" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%" height="100%" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>
Old 01-27-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by crazychris88
This movie was super lame. Boring. Girlfriend slept through the entire 3/4 of film and I wanted to join her.
SO overrated doesnt begin to describe this corny, cloying, ridiculous boring movie with a recycled plot we have seen hundreds of times before but never this obviously or cliche.
I have no idea why people are saying this is award-worthy. I will cry if this wins Oscars though. Just insulting when there were many better films released in 2011.
** out of *****
Yo! I'm totely down with the clown man! Dis shit was skunk bra! No words and shit! I think the stupid movie place was broke yall, color all broke or sumtin.
You and me bro, you and me! Crazy ass story to yo who dat guy think heis Lil' wayne or sum shit? Hells na!
Old 01-28-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It needed to be a little longer (20 minutes or so would have done), and would it kill them to put in a little gore or sex?
Old 01-28-12, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And color! Fuck, man. B&W is crap.
Old 01-28-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

** out of *****
So why didn't the two of you go see Underworld Awakening?
Sounds like you two may enjoy that better. Lots of explosions.
Old 01-28-12, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So why didn't the two of you go see Underworld Awakening?
Sounds like you two may enjoy that better. Lots of explosions.
We did. The same day. Underworld was even worse I thought.
The artist was just boring . And my favorite films of the year were Tree of Life , War Horse and Melancholia. I dont have a problem with silent films. Haxan is pretty awesome.
The artist just has characters I dont care about (except the dog and the chick Bujo plays) and is ultimately predictable, bland, and unexciting.
Old 01-28-12, 11:27 AM
Banned

What? Like Transformers or The Dark Knight weren't for the most part predictable? Granted..there's a difference in quality between the two..but still.
Old 01-28-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

And my favorite films of the year were Tree of Life , War Horse and Melancholia.
One of these things is not like the other...
Old 01-28-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
One of these things is not like the other...
you sure about that....3 critically acclaimed films?
Old 01-28-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
you sure about that....3 critically acclaimed films?
Was thinking more of DVDTalk Movie "critics"
Old 01-28-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the soundtrack and can't stop listening.
Old 01-28-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Unfortunately, the seats, screens, and sound systems of the arthouse are far inferior to any of the local multiplexes. Plus the arthouse is twenty minutes further away. Otherwise I wouldn't even ask the question, since I'd prefer to support an independent theater over any of the corporate multiplexes. But if audiences are going to be a problem, I'll take the hit and go to the further theater.
I'll take the Landmark Bethesda Row theaters (art house) over any multiplex, any day. They may be smaller. But they are stadium seating, have great sound, no texting/talking teenagers, and one of the cleanest theaters I've been to. Opened a few years ago and they look like they opened yesterday.
Old 01-28-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the AFI Silver looks like this, so I too was happy with the art house presentation.

Spoiler:
Old 01-29-12, 12:09 AM
Banned

Oh shit. That's fucking nice.
Old 01-29-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I'll take the Landmark Bethesda Row theaters (art house) over any multiplex, any day. They may be smaller. But they are stadium seating, have great sound, no texting/talking teenagers, and one of the cleanest theaters I've been to. Opened a few years ago and they look like they opened yesterday.
Yeah, the arthouse in Salt Lake is fairly ghetto. I spent a few weeks in DC over the summer and went to some of the arthouses there, and was very impressed by them.

-

Anyway, I finally saw this today and really enjoyed it. It is a movie pretty much catered to my interests, so that shouldn't be too much of a surprise. I thought the performances were particularly perfect, and I really liked the score (with the exception of the use of the piece from Vertigo, which didn't really make any sense in context.)

Also, the theater was nearly full and the audience seemed fairly into it. There was laughter in the appropriate spots, and a smattering of applause at the end (which I think is kind of silly, but whatever.)

As I was watching it I couldn't get over the novelty of sitting in a crowded multiplex watching a French black and white academy ratio silent film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.