Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pixar announces 2 new movies

Old 08-20-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pixar announces 2 new movies

From 'The Playlist'

D23: Pixar Announces 2 New Movies: One Involving Dinosaurs, Another To Go Inside The Human Mind

At D23 today Pixar and Disney announced a pair of Pixar movies, both of them shrouded in a certain degree of mystery.

The first, scheduled to arrive in theaters on November 27th, 2013, is an untitled project about dinosaurs. You might remember that a couple of years ago, screen grabs taken from the “Up” DVD showed production artwork pinned to a wall behind an animator that showed a young boy with a slender-necked dinosaurs. Speculation flew wildly, with most deciding that the artwork was most likely part of an as-yet-unannounced short film. Nope. This new movie, directed by Bob Peterson, who has been a Pixar mainstay since the early days (most recently co-directing “Up” with Pete Docter and providing the voice of Dug the dog), centers around an alternate version of earth wherein the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs missed the planet entirely, so humans have evolved side-by-side with dinosaurs.

If this synopsis conjures up images of the live action “Mario Bros.” movie, you’re not alone. That movie shared a similar conceit, but we’re fairly certain the as-yet-untitled Pixar dinosaur project won’t feature dino-human gangsters and Bob Hoskins (but our fingers are crossed that the Was (Not Was) song “Walk the Dinosaur” will be included in the soundtrack).

The other, more mysterious project is from Pete Docter and scheduled to arrive on May 30, 2014. This is the mystery project that Pixar teased a few months ago. We reached out to our contacts in the animation world recently and we can fill you in on what we know.

According to the official statement, the movie will be produced by Jonas Rivera and directed by Docter, but what they aren’t telling you is that, according to our source, the script is being supplied by “Little Miss Sunshine”/”Toy Story 3” writer Michael Arndt. The current logline provided at D23 says that the film takes place “inside the human mind,” but we were told, more specifically, that it’s about the formation of ideas. It’s being described to us as “wildly ambitious” (even by the admittedly high Pixar standards) which means, hopefully, that all that cash being brought in by “Cars 2” pajamas can be funneled into producing something truly wild and unique. We wish we could have shared this info earlier, but here it is now.

Keep in mind that both of these movies will follow the already announced “Brave” (next summer) and “Monsters University” (summer 2013), and those looking for some fresh, super genius Pixar product after the recent sequel-heavy slate, will be very, very happy.
Old 08-20-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Pixar announces 2 new movies

Sounds great.
Old 08-20-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome news! Now hopefully people will stop complaining about getting a few sequels from Pixar as though it signals the creative death of the studio. Nice to see them using Arndt again as well.
Old 08-20-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both sound pretty vague, but I'm all for any NEW Pixar stuff.
Old 08-21-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo View Post
(but our fingers are crossed that the Was (Not Was) song “Walk the Dinosaur” will be included in the soundtrack).
This is Pixar, not Dreamworks. I would hope they could come up with something more original than that. But on the other hand, this will probably be one of Pixar's merchandise friendly movies, so predictable soundtrack choices are probably inevitable.

Minor soundtrack quibbling aside, both of these projects sound awesome. Brave should be interesting, and Monster University will be fun. Let's just hope there's no Cars 3.
Old 08-21-11, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo View Post
The current logline provided at D23 says that the film takes place “inside the human mind,” but we were told, more specifically, that it’s about the formation of ideas. It’s being described to us as “wildly ambitious”
Pixar is making Inception?
Old 08-21-11, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Both sound pretty vague, but I'm all for any NEW Pixar stuff.
this
Old 08-21-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by so it goes View Post
Pixar is making Inception?
Great, so everyone here will praise it as Pixar's Masterpiece when it's released only to come back here a year later and bash the hell out of it cause it's the cool thing to do.
Old 08-21-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice.
Old 08-21-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Great, so everyone here will praise it as Pixar's Masterpiece when it's released only to come back here a year later and bash the hell out of it cause it's the cool thing to do.
No, because the Pixar version will actually make sense.
Old 08-21-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No, because the Pixar version will actually make sense.

My only real fear is that now all Pixar films will try to be "socially conscious message" films like Cars 2, which will pretty much end my interest in seeing any more Pixar films.
Old 08-21-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Old 04-25-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The dinosaur movie is going to be called "The Good Dinosaur."
Old 04-25-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kind of a dull title.
Old 04-25-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No Sinclair?
Old 04-25-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Disney•Pixar have issued a press release about their upcoming projects after "Brave" this year and "Monsters University" next year. In the process came a few new tidbits of information.

First up the previously untitled Bob Peterson-helmed dinosaur film now has a name, "The Good Dinosaur", and a release date of May 30th 2014. The premise is based on the idea that the cataclysmic asteroid that wiped out the giant dinosaurs didn't arrive - as a result they never became extinct.

Then there's first word on a new project from "Toy Story 3" director Lee Unkrich which is being described as a "wholly original Pixar Animation Studios film that delves into the vibrant holiday of Día de los Muertos". It currently has a "Dia de los Muertos" working title and rough 2015 date, however both could well change.

Finally the untitled Pete Docter-direct film has been pushed back a year to June 19th 2015. The only detail of the story is the same log line we've been hearing for some time - that the action will be set in the world inside the human mind.
Old 04-25-12, 10:28 AM
Banned

ooooh Dia de los Muertos....this will do well in Mexico, I assume.
Old 04-25-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That one will have a lot to prove.

Old 04-25-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, from last August? How did I miss this?

All three sound great, would love to see their take on dinosaurs.
Old 04-25-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a feeling the dinosaur one will be outstanding. Not as excited about the other two, but I question the Day of the Dead one. No idea what audience they're going for with that one.
Old 04-25-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Kind of a dull title.
Most Pixar titles keep things very basic, yet very descriptive of the movie. Titles such as "Up" and, the upcoming, "Brave" may sound dull too but they fit very well.
Old 04-25-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Most Pixar titles keep things very basic, yet very descriptive of the movie. Titles such as "Up" and, the upcoming, "Brave" may sound dull too but they fit very well.
Agreed. Most of Pixar's titles sound kind of dull.

I'd say the only titles that somewhat interesting are The Incredibles and Ratatouille. Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc, Cars, Wall-E and Up are all pretty dull. Finding Nemo is a little more interesting but still fairly dull. Wall-E was maybe more cryptic than dull. Without knowing anything about the movie, Wall-E made no sense. I remember saying "Huh?" when I first heard that title.

Of course, after the movies actually come out, all of the titles make perfect sense and fit the movies really well in my opinion.

I'm definitely hoping for a return to form for Pixar. I turned Toy Story 3 off halfway through--was bored out of my mind and didn't even bother with Cars 2 since Cars was my least favorite Pixar movie. Brave looks great and the dinoaur movie and the movie about the mind sound great too. Not too interested in the other one.
Old 04-25-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I have a feeling the dinosaur one will be outstanding. Not as excited about the other two, but I question the Day of the Dead one. No idea what audience they're going for with that one.
Not that it's Pixar, but the audience to How to Train Your Dragon wasn't limited to Scottish Vikings.
Old 04-25-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dia de Los Muertos should be legit! Here's hoping they get Danny Elfman to score it.
Old 04-26-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That one will have a lot to prove.

That would be awesome if it was a movie of Grim Fandango. I was thinking recently that I'd love to a see Pixar do a Psychonauts movie.