Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Honestly..if the film just focused on Calire and Owen. It would have been so much stronger. Those 2 boys bogged the hell out of JW.
Old 06-14-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The comedic bits were about 50/50 in my theatre.

Nobody laughed at
Spoiler:
fallon

though. His whole thing was completely unfunny and incredibly dumb. I mean, no amusement park in their right mind would use that kind of pre-recorded footage.
That cameo is actually based on his actual safety instructions that he made for Universal theme parks. Right down to the "oops" moments.

As for this film:

It's just an hour or so of humans being chased by Dinos then the humans chase the Dinos. Jurassic Park is the same thin plot... and "woman dress sexy" argument:

Laura Dern wears short shorts during the entire first movie. She also drops her overshirt for a sleeveless number. Dern also had the advantage of actual boots. But let's face it there were a lot of shots that were somewhat "stimulating".

Howard is wearing business appropriate attire which Pratt tells her to change. All she does is undo her shirt and leave the heels on. By the end of the movie, she still has the heels and her blouse.

And I can forgive the "gas" issue since again, Dinosaurs exist. Plus, the original JP never explains the gasoline issue. We never saw gas stations or fueling stations in the first movie. Considering these were in a "garage," I'm sure there were fueling stations.

Now the kids also fixed the car because they helped fix a classic car. It's more understandable and believable than a random person entering a multi-million dollar control room to find she can access the system because "Hey, I know this. It's a Unix system."

There are problems with the first film but we don't care because most us were kids or much younger 22 years ago. Now that we have "aged wisdom," we question a lot of things that seem stupid or impossible yet accept living dinosaurs, a team of heroes flying on a huge ass carrier jet, and acapella groups actually having big enough fans to warrant country sponsored competitions.
Old 06-14-15, 11:48 AM
Banned

I dunno. Those kids were cliche as fuck. At least Spielberg injected his characters with a believability to them for the most part. Computer hacking or not. It ain't perfect but it felt better.
Old 06-14-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I dunno. Those kids were cliche as fuck. At least Spielberg injected his characters with a believability to them for the most part. Computer hacking or not. It ain't perfect but it felt better.
Yeah it was like the gave the little kid a line of coke before every scene. He was such an over the top spaz.

Having also watched the original last night Timmy wasn't nearly as annoying.....to me atleast. Dr Grant probably disagreed early in the movie LOL.
Old 06-14-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall I liked it - though I figured since Pratt made specific mention of the shoes that they would have had her break off the heels (at very least).

Also, the divorce sub-plot seemed like it could have easily been removed with little effect (other than the older brother's "always be there" speech).

Clearly there will be a sequel - and I look forward to where they take this.
Old 06-14-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty much a perfect Jurassic Park movie. Everything worked and was just flat out better than the sequels. The kids were better here than the original's kids (Spielberg always has the worst portrayal of kids). The action scenes were better and felt like they had more weight to them. D'Onofrio's character was probably the weakest part but everything else more than made up for it. I'd say it's on par, if not better, than the original.
Old 06-14-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Here goes my review of Jurassic World - this was as close to the original Jurassic Park in spirit and intent as you could get without Steven Spielberg directing it himself. From the Amblin' Entertainment logo at the beginning, to a nice nod to Ray Harryhausen's dinosaurs (via a quick Viewmaster picture), to the actual revisiting of locations and props from the first JP, to the return of the original DNA-splicing doc (and Mr. DNA!), this was a terrific walk down memory lane, while updating and expanding the prehistoric theme park idea and beyond.

Chris Pratt, this generation's Harrison Ford, brings the snarky rogue we loved in Guardians of the Galaxy to Jurassic World, and definitely plan on seeing more of him in the sequels that WILL be happening. His interactions with his raptor pack are fun to watch, and he has a playful chemistry with Bryce Dallas Howard, the movie's uptight absentee mom stand-in for two boys who are destined to get into and out of trouble throughout the movie. There are a couple of scenes between the boys that are intended to be heart-felt but come off forced, and the older boy is unnecessarily portrayed as a jerk.

But the humans in Jurassic World are not the main reason we go to see anything with Jurassic in the title. It's the dinosaurs, and boy, oh, boy, do we get dinosaurs. Old favorites are back, in familiar and new situations, new dinos are introduced (including the aquatic creature featured in the trailers, and the dino bad guy - trust me, there are human bad guys as well.). The raptor pack in action brought a lot of unexpected surprises, and the final battles over the last 25-30 minutes had me on the edge of my seat and grinning ear to ear.

Due to teeth and claws, there is a bit of violence, though not nearly as much blood shown as I was expecting. There's some off-camera crunching in a few scenes, and a hunting attack told mostly through night vision monitors.

And before I forget, there is humor and a few actual LOL moments sprinkled though out the film.

Overall, this latest addition to the Jurassic series is worth all the hype and the bucks it's getting, and it will definitely join my Bluray collection. It ranks just behind the first movie, and way ahead of the other two sequels. I may even go see it again, perhaps in 3D. I give Jurassic World 5/5 on the dinosaurs alone, but a 4/5 as a whole.
Old 06-14-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Just saw it. Now that was one big pile of shit.
Care to elaborate, or are you just being clever with your allusion to the original.

I find it interesting that this has just achieved the largest worldwide opening in history and we never even established a review thread.
Old 06-14-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Is largest worldwide opening weekend really a fair comparison though? There's still tons of big movies that don't open day and date worldwide.
Old 06-14-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Care to elaborate, or are you just being clever with your allusion to the original.

I find it interesting that this has just achieved the largest worldwide opening in history and we never even established a review thread.
It boggles the mind which movies get a Reviews thread here over others. Really wish this forum was moderated better. The Criterion Forum puts this to shame.
Old 06-14-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It boggles the mind which movies get a Reviews thread here over others. Really wish this forum was moderated better. The Criterion Forum puts this to shame.
I'm not sure how that has anything to do with moderation. Anyone can start a reviews thread if they wanted to.
Old 06-14-15, 05:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

ladies and gentlemen, your new Indiana Jones. not sure how I feel about that.
Old 06-14-15, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure how that has anything to do with moderation. Anyone can start a reviews thread if they wanted to.
Oldboy asked us to do it.. but... fuck it. I'm not in the mood for it. And apparently nobody else was either. The forum threads are created by us fuckers, mods included. It's not a mod controlled review thread thing.. yet. We're just lazy. I've done a few but we're lazy and prefer Oldboy to do all the work. Why? Cuz we're monsters who want to make that fucker work for us in our forum ways.
Old 06-14-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What.
Old 06-14-15, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to see this soon can't wait.
Old 06-14-15, 06:26 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Just watched, it 2nd best film I've seen this year, I'm going to rank it 6/10 !
Old 06-14-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB
Just watched, it 2nd best film I've seen this year, I'm going to rank it 6/10 !
That doesn't say much for the other films you've seen this year.
Old 06-14-15, 06:43 PM
Banned

Makes me wonder wtf was the 1st film.
Old 06-14-15, 07:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 06-14-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm not sure why people think you could just remove the kids and add more Pratt. You have to have someone out roaming the park. The kids get chased by the I-Rex, they get batted around with the Ankylosaurus', they are essentially our window to all the dino scenes before the shit hits the fan.

I prefer Tim & Lex as Tim was into dinos and both were likable. Sure the hacker thing was absurd but you roll with it. I did enjoy these kids more than Malcolm's daughter and the little kid in 3. However, for the amount of setup they got (opening the film) they sure didn't get much development past that.
Old 06-14-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The guy that normally does the review threads was busy and asked for somebody else to make one. Nobody did.

Anyway, I tried to make one and botched it horribly, and I can't edit it to fix it.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-14-15 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
ladies and gentlemen, your new Indiana Jones. not sure how I feel about that.
They really need to re-think that notion. Unless they set those movies between the TV Chronicles and before TOD, I don't see it working.
Old 06-14-15, 09:32 PM
Banned

I don't really see the Indiana Jones comparison. He can pull off the humor and do some serious but Indy is a character unlike Star-Lord and Owen. They may have aspects of him but there's an inherent nature to the character that is all him. A grand part of that is Ford, who is very every man in a way but also the body language of it. Add in that while Owen and Quill are men, they're very child like as well. Very much having a young boy nature to them. Indy was an adult. He was a man and not a boy. A grand distinguish in the personas.

I'm not against the idea of him being Indy. I have liked Pratt for a long time. I just don't see how people are so quick to throw that at Pratt with.
Old 06-14-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The more I see of Pratt the less I think he'd fit Jones, but he's the closest fit of anything out there.
Old 06-14-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't they already state that because of all the Marvel stuff, he's pretty sure not going to be doing Indiana Jones.

Either way, I enjoyed him here. That's probably the only thing I enjoyed other than Howard shedding layer of clothing as the movie went on.

If only it went on for another 20 minutes. But then it would be another 20 minutes of Jurassic Park.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.