Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors whose careers have fallen low and fast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors whose careers have fallen low and fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Actors whose careers have fallen low and fast

Originally Posted by Pizza
For some reason it's harder for actresses to maintain long acting careers like guys.
Yes, "for some reason".
Old 07-10-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15

Tom Cruise 90% of the time delivers a quality product, but people can't help but be more interested in someone's personal life. The new M:I film looks great, but it will underperform because people care about things that dont really concern them.
when i saw the MI4 trailer before transformers at midnight, alot of people actually cheered when Cruise showed up
Old 07-10-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I don't think I can ever hate Cruise. The worst he did was act like a child over getting married and spout his religion/beliefs. I might not agree with it, but in the long run it's a lot better than the actors people continue to worship who get busted on DUIs, drug possessions and spousal abuse, not to mention affairs and bastard children.

Besides, anyone who hates Cruise for his "kooky" period, better not call themselves a Prince fan if that may be the case, because that man is guilty of every "social crime" Cruise is and more.
I don't like Cruise because of his personal life. I don't like Cruise because he's overhyped as a movie star that can barely act.

At least today's big movie stars like Depp, Clooney and Pitt can all act.
Old 07-10-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't like Cruise because of his personal life. I don't like Cruise because he's overhyped as a movie star that can barely act.

Magnolia? Granted he played a kookie nutjob so he could of just been playing himself (although he was nominated for a best supporting actor oscar
Old 07-10-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Cruise is a better actor than Pitt. I alsi think he was great in Born on the Fourth of July, Magnolia and Collateral.
Old 07-10-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Truthfully aside from a few roles I've never been that fond of Tom Cruise either. I never really saw what the big deal about him was other than a few roles. I like him in the Mission: Impossible series, Born on the 4th of July, and Minority Report was good too. Eyes Wide Shut is weird but I don't mind it. Those aside though I'm not very big on him. I guess those 80s movies he was in like Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Risky Business, etc. have never really been my thing but I can sorta see why some might like them.
Old 07-10-11, 06:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clooney has charisma, but he is *not* a box office draw. His only major film successes over the last decade have been the OCEAN'S films and that is because of the ensemble casts.

Depp has become a one-trick pony.

Pitt is bland.
Old 07-10-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Magnolia? Granted he played a kookie nutjob so he could of just been playing himself (although he was nominated for a best supporting actor oscar
I love his performance in Magnolia. But for every Magnolia or Born on the Fourth of July he has like 10 mediocre performances.
Old 07-10-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Nicole Kidman seems to be doing alright. I'm a little confused as to why Renée Zellweger has fallen off the map. For some reason it's harder for actresses to maintain long acting careers like guys.
Yes, that's true. Although, one actress that seems to be immune to this is 50 year-old Julianne Moore, who hasn't won an Oscar (but IMHO deserved a couple over the years). It helps if you're one of the very best.

Helen Hunt was a surprise. She went from an Oscar win, to two very successful movies in Cast Away and What Women Wants to, well, not much of substance after that. There are a couple of 3-year gaps in her filmography, so I assume she took time off to do other things (IMDB mentions theater and children). Some people just don't want to do film after film.
Old 07-10-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

How is taking a job on a network TV show a step down for some of these actors? I'm referencing the comment about Forest Whitaker and Zooey Deschanel.

It's a regular paycheck for 6-9 months a year as opposed to doing a feature film once every 2-3 years.

Look at Gary Sinise, he was a very respected character actor in alot of movies and took the lead role on CSI: NY and the show has been a success for 7 seasons. And noone talks shit about Sinise. He's making good money and working regularly.

Kiefer Sutherland actually became a much bigger star on TV with 24.

Alot of network TV shows are produced with almost feature film quality production value. Plus, alot of these TV stars still shoot movies during their summer breaks.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-10-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, tv doesnt have that old stigma anymore. There is plenty of great shows these days that could rival a lot of movies.

Originally Posted by Drexl
Helen Hunt was a surprise. She went from an Oscar win, to two very successful movies in Cast Away and What Women Wants to, well, not much of substance after that. There are a couple of 3-year gaps in her filmography, so I assume she took time off to do other things (IMDB mentions theater and children). Some people just don't want to do film after film.
One of those gaps was to write, direct, produce, etc. Her own pet project.

I love her though and would watch anything she's in.
Old 07-10-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forrest Whitaker is living the dream.

He was a wonderful charecter actor for years who never got any recognition then gets a chance to shine in an Oscar Baity role like Last King Of Scotland and knocks it out the park. A short while after gets a boatload of money to be in a tv procedural where he can just go through the motions doing the same thig over and over for a few years and never have to worry about money ever again.
Old 07-10-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's like Zooey Deschanel on that Fox show. Like why you wanna kill your career so fast? Stick to movies.
How is someone who mostly does supporting hot girlfriend or supporting adorable cute as a button girlfriend type roles taking a step down by being the lead of a network sitcom. I guess if the show tanks it could hurt her career but if its a hit it could lead to her being offered lead movie roles which to now have eluded her mostly.
Old 07-10-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
How is someone who mostly does supporting hot girlfriend or supporting adorable cute as a button girlfriend type roles taking a step down by being the lead of a network sitcom. I guess if the show tanks it could hurt her career but if its a hit it could lead to her being offered lead movie roles which to now have eluded her mostly.
Old 07-10-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom Cruise can act. Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Minority Report, Collateral, Born on the 4th of July, Interview with the Vampire.......... He also produced Narc.

Plus, on top of those really good films in which he played very diverse characters, he's a bona-fide movie star. He's extremely courageous, which is something I find very admirable given his uber celebrity status. He started taking leaps and bounds with his career choices before we had the internet and could scrutinize every move everyone made. He takes his profession seriously.

I sound like a fanboy, but i've always defended Cruise. I remember extremely doubting The Last Samurai, thinking the premise was ridiculous. I was wrong and havn't pre-judged him since. Lions for Lambs was a let-down though, but not becuase of him. The pedigree looked excellent on paper.

People say Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in every role, but I think that has more to do with their opinion of him than his actual character portrayal. He (at one time) was one of the biggest movie stars of all time, so it would have been difficult for anyone of that status to blend in unrecognizably with any character.

that's all I have to say about that.
Old 07-10-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
How is taking a job on a network TV show a step down for some of these actors? I'm referencing the comment about Forest Whitaker and Zooey Deschanel.

It's a regular paycheck for 6-9 months a year as opposed to doing a feature film once every 2-3 years.

Look at Gary Sinise, he was a very respected character actor in alot of movies and took the lead role on CSI: NY and the show has been a success for 7 seasons. And noone talks shit about Sinise. He's making good money and working regularly.

Kiefer Sutherland actually became a much bigger star on TV with 24.

Alot of network TV shows are produced with almost feature film quality production value. Plus, alot of these TV stars still shoot movies during their summer breaks.
I don't see how it could be seen as anything other then a step down. None of the actors named do a film once every 2-3 years, when they were active they were doing 2-3 films a year.

Sinise took CSI after it had been a success and far after he was still appearing in quality films. Sure, Kiefer lucked out but again he wasn't headlining films. And I like Sinise a lot, I'd like to see him back on the big screen with Hanks.

I don't mean to put down TV. I freaking love TV shows more now than I ever have but I don't expect to see movie stars on TV.
Old 07-10-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/

He's been in a lot of movies, a lot of TV shows, he's had a decent career.......until he turned nutjob. -kd5-
Decent career /= respected actor.
Old 07-10-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how it could be seen as anything other then a step down. None of the actors named do a film once every 2-3 years, when they were active they were doing 2-3 films a year.
Before 24 started in the year 2001 wasn't Kiefer Sutherland considered that dude from 80s movies .

Besides supporting parts in early 90s films Flatliners,A Few Good Men and that one movie where he was a killer or rapist or whatever with Sally Field in the mid 90s everything else he had done for a decade or longer was completely off peoples radars in the mainstream.
Old 07-10-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cruise may not be that respected, but how many actors can say they're worked with Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Steven Spielberg? And Paul Thomas Anderson, Ridley Scott, John Woo, Oliver Stone, and Michael Mann as well?
Old 07-10-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never understood the Tom Cruise hate. He scored a hot piece of ass...he's happy with his place in life and proud of it...and he still stars in entertaining films.
Old 07-10-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^^He doesn't follow a state-sanctioned religion, apparently. So people took this to mean he feels HIS God can beat up THEIR God. Or something.
Old 07-10-11, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Decent career /= respected actor.
this. Sheen hasn't had the career of someone like..oh...Robert Duvall. That's a respected actor. Sheen isn't that. He's had a good financial career, sure. He ain't a great actor though....or at least has the career of one.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^^He doesn't follow a state-sanctioned religion, apparently. So people took this to mean he feels HIS God can beat up THEIR God. Or something.
Yeah, I don't give a shit about wtf his personal life is but as an actor...he's had a solid career as one. He's a solid actor and also one who can financially work for the studios...for the most part.
Old 07-10-11, 10:40 PM
Banned

You lost any semblance of an argument that you had when you said that Brad Pitt could act.
Old 07-10-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
He also produced Narc.
did he have a large part in creative w that, or was it an excuse to have a name be a "producer" when in fact they really had nothing to do with it
Old 07-10-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I've never understood the Tom Cruise hate. He scored a hot piece of ass...he's happy with his place in life and proud of it...and he still stars in entertaining films.
Nicole Kidman in her prime was a hot piece of ass...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.